Grado Fan Club!
Mar 1, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #30,976 of 66,264
Survey: any of you Grado fans using any kind of Belcanto source in your system? I've got my eye on a DAC2 and I'm unable to find a lot of info about it.

oteil had a belcanto 1 at one time

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #30,977 of 66,264
^ also not sure you checked here, and info is a little dated 

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/search.php?searchid=4266717

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #30,979 of 66,264
Which Grado headphone has the least fatiguing highs/mid-highs? I hope that head-fi'ers on this thread can kindly give some suggestions.

SR60 was the first good headphone that started this headphone hobby for me. I had RS1i for about five months and sold it primarily for its hot and fatiguing highs although I like the other aspects of its sound signature a lot. The voices, guitar, and piano sounded beautiful from the RS1i. I also found it was a great phone watching videos on Youtube due to the way it presented voices relative to the background. Then I got into phones of several other brands.

Recently I picked up my SR60 more and wonder if I could find a better Grado phone that does not have, or has the least, fatiguing highs that bothered me previously.

Could anybody make some recommendations? Thanks.

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #30,980 of 66,264
  Which Grado headphone has the least fatiguing highs/mid-highs? I hope that head-fi'ers on this thread can kindly give some suggestions.

SR60 was the first good headphone that started this headphone hobby for me. I had RS1i for about five months and sold it primarily for its hot and fatiguing highs although I like the other aspects of its sound signature a lot. The voices, guitar, and piano sounded beautiful from the RS1i. I also found it was a great phone watching videos on Youtube due to the way it presented voices relative to the background. Then I got into phones of several other brands.

Recently I picked up my SR60 more and wonder if I could find a better Grado phone that does not have, or has the least, fatiguing highs that bothered me previously.

Although I don't find any of m Grados to be fatiguing, I would HIGHLY recommend the GH-1.
If you do go this route I would also HIGHLY recommend trying the Grado (G) cushions with them…nothing short of excellent!

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #30,981 of 66,264

the new "e" series have a more refined, sweeter treble to my ears, they still sound like a grado, 
i've had the 80e, 225e, and the 325e, they are the only "e"s i've heard, and they are all better and less fatiguing than previous models

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #30,984 of 66,264

PS500e

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #30,985 of 66,264
Mar 1, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #30,987 of 66,264
500e with g-cushions also brings back the treble air and clarity but keeps it a little more subdued against the bass.

I'm loving the 500e, but as a limited edition the GH1 might hold its value better in the long run if that is of any concern or you want an all wood look.

Mar 1, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #30,988 of 66,264
  @kayandjohn

Thanks. Will read more on PS500e vs GH1.

You can also try the 225e with the tape mod 
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #30,989 of 66,264
500e with g-cushions also brings back the treble air and clarity but keeps it a little more subdued against the bass.

I'm loving the 500e, but as a limited edition the GH1 might hold its value better in the long run if that is of any concern or you want an all wood look.

Thanks for comments. My number concern is the lack of fatiguing highs. Regarding other aspects of sound, I suppose each has its own strengths and weaknesses at a similar price level. Metal or wood cage is not a concern relative to listening pleasure or discomfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back