Grado Fan Club!
Feb 10, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #30,706 of 65,557
  I don't understand it either, I would say my Grados get about 90% of my listening time while the HD800s get the rest.

Yeah, I can't for the life of me understand this?
I've tried (in home) LCD-X/HD-800/HE1K/400i/T1 and although they all sounded good (except the LCD-X to me) they have nothing over Grado and I would put them up against any of these HP's any day. Hell, I'm even worried I'm going to prefer my Grados over the 009/BHSE after all is said and done. And I do understand its a matter of preference, but... 

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #30,707 of 65,557

I'd call Grado (for the most part) The Bright Side just due to their sound signature...but they are still very unique headphones that many of us really enjoy!

They're definately the bright side, of The Dark Side, I'll give you that.
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #30,708 of 65,557

First: Welcome to The Dark Side, (Grado)

Third: You didn't start anything, don't worry, I just like to kid around. it's all in good fun, trust me.
biggrin.gif

Second: I have the SR80e, and I love them. I think that they're one of Grado's best buys. That being said, I haven't heard the SR225e, but I seriously doubt that the SR80e sounds smoother than the SR225e, wich, by the way has always been known to represent Grado's sweet spot headphones.

Happy listening!
beerchug.gif

I'd call Grado (for the most part) The Bright Side just due to their sound signature...but they are still very unique headphones that many of us really enjoy!

+1......a bit bright...but a lovely sound.

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #30,709 of 65,557
  Yeah, I can't for the life of me understand this?
I've tried (in home) LCD-X/HD-800/HE1K/400i/T1 and although they all sounded good (except the LCD-X to me) they have nothing over Grado and I would put them up against any of these HP's any day. Hell, I'm even worried I'm going to prefer my Grados over the 009/BHSE after all is said and done. And I do understand its a matter of preference, but... 

Yes, there are certainly headphones that are considered much technically better than Grados, and often much more expensive, that I preferred Grados to.  I'd take my SR225e over a set of HD800 any day (though I admit to being intriguied by the HD800s).  When I look for what I'm after in a headphone, part of me always looks for at least some of the Grado up front aggression.  For example, I just couldn't abide with the HiFiMan Edition X because it was a bit too soft for me.  What I liked about the HE400i was that it had that Grado punch over the top of planar bass.  The THX00 was to me, in a lot of ways, like a U shaped Grado.  So, even when I'm not listening to Grados, their sound is still with me, in part, in what I'm after.  Grados are very polarizing, and sometimes I feel like most people are in one of two camps with them, they either think they can do virtually no wrong, or that they're a travesty of sound that only deaf hipsters like.  I tend to find myself more and more towards the middle of that spectrum these days.  But to me, Grados get some things fundamentally right with what I'm after in a headphone sound.  

The people who think they're pure junk, I think, listen more with their eyes on measurement graphs than their ears on music.  

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #30,710 of 65,557
Grado sound is like a fine champagne; will appeal to many of those who like to have the most realistic open window
on the performance...the GS1000i for me is the closest thing to no headphones at all but to listening to high end speakers
(such as modern Quad electrostatics in a nice setup).

Not for bass heads.....all my Grado's give me a listening experience
like the high-end British systems (that were generally Linn or high-end turntable
based) from the 70's and 80's...but even better).

Best Grado for the money, for me is the SR325e. 

Best Grado for myself...for the highest level of enjoyment....GS1000i (amazing coherence,
detail, soundstage, naturalness/musicality).

Both of the above are superb, even my SR80e sounds really musical (but is getting less
use lately).

IMHO, the Grado sound appeals to many who listen closely and like to immerse themselves in the experience.

So, for me the Grado sound is for those who like the most refined, realistic and enjoyable playback and VERY good
value for money. 

I couldn't care less how they measure or how fashionable they are. They're not for everyone though, but to my ears and tastes they are golden.

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #30,711 of 65,557
  +1......a bit bright...but a lovely sound.

True, and for those who might be wondering,  I started calling Grado, ''The Dark Side'', because of the animosity that many, (not all), people have towards Grado.

Due to a combination of crazyness, and strong medication, I started calling us Grado fans, Troopers, as in Storm Troopers. Joseph Grado became OB1, Jonh is known as Darth Vader, and Jonathan as Luke Skywalker.

Yoda, a.k.a. Devouringone3, has mysteriously disapeard, but thankfully, his sons, LCfiner, and kayandjohn, know almost as much about Grado's product and history, as their father did.

Oh!, and the Grados factory, is referred to as The Death Star.

Hey!,  I'm the first one to admit that my mind is a very strange place.
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #30,712 of 65,557

True, and for those who might be wondering,  I started calling Grado, ''The Dark Side'', because of the animosity that many, (not all), people have towards Grado.

Due to a combination of crazyness, and strong medication, I started calling us Grado fans, Troopers, as in Storm Troopers. Joseph Grado became OB1, Jonh is known as Darth Vader, and Jonathan as Luke Skywalker.

Yoda, a.k.a. Devouringone3, has mysteriously disapeard, but thankfully, his sons, LCfiner, and kayandjohn, know almost as much about Grado's product and history, as their father did.

biggrin.gif

alright, so who is Kylo Ren?

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #30,713 of 65,557
First, we would need to know who Han Solo and Princess Leia are.

I nominate Jaywillin as Chewbacca... :)

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #30,714 of 65,557
Feb 10, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #30,715 of 65,557
  The people who think they're pure junk, I think, listen more with their eyes on measurement graphs than their ears on music.  

And not to mention the price of their set up, which might make them think it is "better".

IMHO, the Grado sound appeals to many who listen closely and like to immerse themselves in the experience.

So, for me the Grado sound is for those who like the most refined, realistic and enjoyable playback and VERY good
value for money. 

I couldn't care less how they measure or how fashionable they are. They're not for everyone though, but to my ears and tastes they are golden.

+1
Nicely said I couldn't agree more.

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #30,716 of 65,557

alright, so who is Kylo Ren?

''Can Wars'', is still in it's infancy, so some positions, like that of Kylo Ren, Hans Solo, and Princess Leia, have yet to be filled.

I'm open to suggestions, so fire away!
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #30,717 of 65,557

biggrin.gif

Yoda lives by the way...he occasionally surfaces on the Grado History thread that he started. 

Feb 10, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #30,719 of 65,557
Grado sound is like a fine champagne; will appeal to many of those who like to have the most realistic open window
on the performance...the GS1000i for me is the closest thing to no headphones at all but to listening to high end speakers
(such as modern Quad electrostatics in a nice setup).

Not for bass heads.....all my Grado's give me a listening experience
like the high-end British systems (that were generally Linn or high-end turntable
based) from the 70's and 80's...but even better).

Best Grado for the money, for me is the SR325e. 

Best Grado for myself...for the highest level of enjoyment....GS1000i (amazing coherence,
detail, soundstage, naturalness/musicality).

Both of the above are superb, even my SR80e sounds really musical (but is getting less
use lately).

value for money. 

I, for one, love the retro look of my new SR80e cans, but the sound is supreme to me, and have been known to wear those ridiculous storm trooper Superlux 681 EVO white cans in public... :smirk:

I'm new to Grado and I love the clarity and the sense that I'm there with the performers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back