Grado Fan Club!
Feb 9, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #30,676 of 65,639
I smell Google Translate...

biggrin.gif
 yes

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #30,677 of 65,639
Well here's my 2 cents:
- I honestly don't trust the online reviews unless some of my true experiences gives credence to the reviews. Which means I have either listened to the thing or I have listened to a product mentioned in the review or a similar one etc. Even then I'd still wait till I actually audition the product being reviewed .
Why? First we hear different things, for example I've never felt that Grados are "harsh" like others claim. Secondly, people feel differently about a particular sound. I can tell you a lot of people hate the Grado sound with reasons that sound like they are made up, for example.
Last and perhaps most importantly, people tend to me positive when writing online reviews, which may not be a good thing. If yoy read all the reviews on head-fi's homepage like I did, I do think at one point you'd have to question the percentage of truth there is, because there just can't be so many great stuffs out there. Similarly, a lot of amazon reviews for entry-level audiophile cans from Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic and of course, Grado are raving. While a lot of them are actually great for the money, after the real experience you'd see that they might not be all they're cracked up to be. A lot of online reviews would make you feel like the cans are perfect, while in fact they are not. This also makes some of the worse-reviewed headphones seem like they are trash, while in fact, they're quite good for me. Examples include the iGrado and the Koss Ksc35.
- Usb cable will not impact the sound quality. The only one you'd need is one with a ferrite stack, perhaps. Usb cables transfer data (bits, 0 and 1) and thus will not impact the sound a lot. You'd find investing in dac-2-amp or amp-2-speakers cable a better thing to do.
I used to find my 225e could get slightly crashy on my Meridian Explorer DAC. For example the cymbals playing through Def leppard - Hysteria.

That changed for the better when I got a Chord Mojo. It could be your source player. (I think you said you had an iBasso.)

The Meridian Explorer is a good DAC though, and would compete with quite a few quality music players. It's just that the Chord Mojo beats probably all music players. (I am not promoting the Mojo here either, because I have some grievences with mine.)

I have always had my reservations about the 225e though. In the past the 225 series never had a five star review. Whereas all the other Prestige Series did. The 225-series only ever had four star reviews. That may have changed though with the e-series, but we will have to wait and see if any pro-reviews arrive.

My own impressions of the 225e is that it is a pretty good headphone. It's forward and quite vivid. It makes some outstanding tones sometimes. The L-cushion is welcome. I can wear it and listen to it for hours. It's fast but I think the 125i was faster. (Sorry if I am wrong on that.) Either that or the 125i was at the right speed for it's detail level. Whereas the 225e has come forward but not brought enough extra speed with it. I wish it dug just a bit deeper. Thus leaving the 125i sounding more balanced. The 225e is still a stunning headphone though.

I don't know how else to explain it. Like now I am listening to the 225e on the Chord Mojo. The Mojo is said to be the best  up to £800, with insight better than everything  below the £1400 Chord Hugo. It sounds great, but I am thinking "Come on!". (Maybe I need an audio-quaity USB  cable for the DAC.)

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #30,678 of 65,639
I love the 'Grado Sound'.  But I can understand how some might find aspects of their sound to be fatiguing, or even harsh for some music.  It seems that my 80e's really accentuate or inflate some sounds to the point of harshness.  

An easy example that I can point to... listen to Eagles Hell Freezes Over (CD).  On my setup, the audience applause between songs (it's a live recording) is 'rip the 80e's off your head and throw them across the room' ear-splitting.  Painful!  But on the 400i or PM-3 it's just fine, and a dramatic difference compared to the 80e.

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #30,679 of 65,639
@lehoang15tuoi
I think I agree with you entirely.

In terms of analogue cables, the case is closed, because recommended analogue cables improve sound quality significantly. Only yesterday I ordered Chord Clearway for my Q Acoustics BT3 (used on desktop.). The QED Reference Audio J2P, that I bought for DAC to BT3 was money that should always be spent.

Digital cables is a battlefield in online discussion. However audio quality digital cables do get recommended. Even folk on the Chord Mojo thread have said they bought an Audio-quality USB cable. Then got a significant improvement. Like this Head-Fi person. http://www.head-fi.org/products/qed-reference-usb/reviews/14610 @imattersuk said it made as much of an upgrade to the Mojo, as the Mojo did over the previous DAC. (That is pretty much how I find good analogue cables.)

Hint in this paragraph about using WASAPI and ASIO rather than Direct Sound, so I wrote it. Even though it's off Grado topic.
Anyway my own personal experience was this. I bought the Furutech Formula 2 a year ago for my Meridian Explorer, and saw no upgrade. Then just recently I started using a better media player, that being JRiver rather than Media Go. Media Go is stuck in windows default Direct Sound. JRiver let me use WASAPI and ASIO. I found my Meridian Explorer much better that ever before; it was tighter, cleaner, and more defined. I swapped between plain USB cable and quality USB. No conclusion but I need to go back and re-test this, because my thoughts were unconclusive. What I mean though is that using WASAPI over Direct Sound has given a better playing field to compare cables.

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #30,680 of 65,639
So many things have happened but I do feel the need to address the messages that were directed towards me a couple pages back, so apologies for digressing...

Quote:

Welcome to The Dark Side (Grado). I don't know you, and I already love you! 
beerchug.gif

S***... do I at least get cookies? oAo

Allow me to quote you, ''But honestly if you're heart is set on Grados, get some grados!'' 
blink.gif
 Rarely have I read such profound advice, so thank you.
biggrin.gif

S.F. Buddy, you do know that this is the ''Grado Fan Club'' thread.

That's a great suggestion, don't get me wrong, it's just that for 99.9% of us here, it's too late, much too late.

I like reading posts that make me smile, but yours actually made my sides hurt.
biggrin.gif

Wat, I was giving robokevin my opinion. Hmph =^=

Seriously though, I'm glad that you like your SR80e, you might want to give the L = large, earpads, I have them on my SR80e, and in my opinion, these earpads take them to the next level.

I might in the future, but right now I think I'm pretty good with myself. Also, $$$$$. I don't have much I can spare.

Oh!, and I like to kid around, so no hard feelings S,F. 
beerchug.gif

Alright, but I'm still watching you O.O

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #30,681 of 65,639
  do not use amplifiers, then the 225th not you liked?
To me it seems a little harsh on the high frequencies we hope it is a matter of burn-in.

I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand that...

I said, sr225e not you liked?

Whay he means to say is, ''not sr225 liked you''
blink.gif

Opinion in mine , try should amplifier maybe Dot 1+ Little.

Help this hope.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I smell Google Translate...

Google smell translate think I too.
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #30,682 of 65,639

Whay he means to say is, ''not sr225 liked you''
blink.gif

Opinion in mine , try should amplifier maybe Dot 1+ Little.

Help this hope.
beerchug.gif

Google smell translate think I too.
biggrin.gif

out laugh loud

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #30,683 of 65,639

S***... do I at least get cookies? oAo

Wat, I was giving robokevin my opinion. Hmph =^=

I might in the future, but right now I think I'm pretty good with myself. Also, $$$$$. I don't have much I can spare.

Alright, but I'm still watching you O.O

''S***... do I at least get cookies? oAo''

Do you mean regular cookies, or the ''special kind''?  Regardless, I've got something much better than cookies.
wink.gif

I don't have a problem with you, giving robokevin your opinion. In fact, I was paying you a compliment.
wink.gif
 Here's what you said, ''But honestly if you're heart is set on Grados, get some grados!'' 
blink.gif

And here's what I said, Rarely have I read such profound advice, so thank you!

Maybe you think that I was being sacastic, if that's the case, let me reassure you, I was being sarcastic.
biggrin.gif
I like to kid around, and your post made me laugh!, I guess I was in a playful mood.

Regarding the L-cush, allow me to quote you once more,  ''Wat, I was giving robokevin my opinion. Hmph =^=''.  Well, so was I.
wink.gif

Seriously though, the fact that Grado headphones allow us to install any earpads on any of their models, is a major advantage. It's a quick and easy way to tune their sound, it's also relatively cheap, and totally reversible.

Oh!, one more thing, if you where glasses, you might not find the L and G-cush comfortable. When I have my glasses on, the only earpads that I can comfortably wear, are the S-cush, (comfies), and the TTVJ flats.

Alright that enough babling for now, no hard feeling!
beerchug.gif

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #30,685 of 65,639
Thank you for the help, everyone.

I have decided I'm going to get the 225e and will listen to it direct from my portable for a while, and then maybe try an amp and/or DAC.  If it's too harsh, I'll send them back and try the 80e.  I was tempted to buy both and just send back one of them, but I'm not sure if this is a common practice with headphones (I do it with camera lenses all of the time)?  I usually order from B&H.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start any kind of argument!

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #30,686 of 65,639

I have decided I'm going to get the 225e and will listen to it direct from my portable for a while, and then maybe try an amp and/or DAC.  If it's too harsh, I'll send them back and try the 80e.  I was tempted to buy both and just send back one of them, but I'm not sure if this is a common practice with headphones (I do it with camera lenses all of the time)?  I usually order from B&H.

First: Welcome to The Dark Side, (Grado)

Third: You didn't start anything, don't worry, I just like to kid around. it's all in good fun, trust me.
biggrin.gif

Second: I have the SR80e, and I love them. I think that they're one of Grado's best buys. That being said, I haven't heard the SR225e, but I seriously doubt that the SR80e sounds smoother than the SR225e, wich, by the way has always been known to represent Grado's sweet spot headphones.

Happy listening!
beerchug.gif

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #30,687 of 65,639

Third: You didn't start anything, don't worry, I just like to kid around. it's all in good fun, trust me.
biggrin.gif

Second: I have the SR80e, and I love them. I think that they're one of Grado's best buys. That being said, I haven't heard the SR225e, but I seriously doubt that the SR80e sounds smoother than the SR225e, wich, by the way has always been known to represent Grado's sweet spot headphones.

Happy listening!
beerchug.gif

i've owned both the 80e, and the 225e, the 225e is much smoother , it's really just better in every way

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #30,689 of 65,639
Agreed. 225e wit tape mod will get you up into RS territory.

i never even tried the tape (i hang my head in shame)

so, excited about the getting to audition the MHDT dac ?? i am !

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #30,690 of 65,639

biggrin.gif

Happy listening!
beerchug.gif

I'd call Grado (for the most part) The Bright Side just due to their sound signature...but they are still very unique headphones that many of us really enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back