Grado Fan Club!
Mar 24, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #23,896 of 65,799
An unrelated question. Does anyone here have experience with the Grados and an Earmax or one of the few clones of the Earmax? I certainly enjoy the output of my CTH, but I have been wanting to jump into a pure tube amp that will mate well with my Grados. The Earmaxes are a little (lot) pricey and the clones are aren't sold new anymore, but I'm sure with some diligence I could track down a used clone somewhere. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #23,897 of 65,799
  An unrelated question. Does anyone here have experience with the Grados and an Earmax or one of the few clones of the Earmax? I certainly enjoy the output of my CTH, but I have been wanting to jump into a pure tube amp that will mate well with my Grados. The Earmaxes are a little (lot) pricey and the clones are aren't sold new anymore, but I'm sure with some diligence I could track down a used clone somewhere. 

Right here...
I have the original.  I enjoy it although its definitely not my best Grado amp, and not my first choice of the amps in my profile.  As a low volume music listener it gets plenty loud for my tastes.  It just lacks a bit on the clarity and resolution fronts.  Although I upgraded the power transformer to a 24V-60W unit.  So its really not "stock".  Still though I like it much better with the HD650.

Supposedly the anniversary, Pro and silver edition are better voiced for low-Z loads.

You can buy clones still?  I thought the Sense G3 was long discontinued... that would be one to consider, IIRC its a clone of one of the low-Z models.

Heres some wicked Grado stuff:

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #23,898 of 65,799
I used some 3mm shaft collars on my PS1000 and it's a very cheap but superb solution.

I hope that Grado is taking notes, because these are what PS1000 owners need, where can I get them?,

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #23,899 of 65,799
  I agree that it may look better, but the whole point for me is to have tool-less adjustment. I don't always want to keep an allen wrench in reach if i need to adjust things. Plus unless I am not seeing something right, the collars only prevent up and down movement if you put one on each side. Even then, it doesn't prevent rotation unless you add silicone or rubber o-rings between everything. I've been using mine with tapped plastic for years with no issues. Granted I don't adjust them a ton.

To each his own.

No, the collars don't prevent the cups from rotating, but I always lay my Grado's flat, and never let the cups rotate…my cables are perfectly straight. Wasn't implying the set screws are bad…at all, but just find it much easier to use the collars.
Like you said, to each his own.
beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #23,901 of 65,799
  Your local hobby shop should carry them, I thought you asked me already?
They are 1/8" shaft collars with set screws.

I may have, I have really bad short term memoey, that's why this time, I wrote it down
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #23,902 of 65,799
I may have, I have really bad short term memoey, that's why this time, I wrote it down :wink:

@stacker45, I suffer from CRS (Can't Remember S....tuff.)

I suffer from CRS.

Did you know I have CRS?

What is "CRS?"

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #23,904 of 65,799
I was speaking to a friend today who was telling me about a headphone/amplifier/DSP/ (but wasn't sure of the company but he thinks it was Stax) that simulates any type of loudspeaker and the room acoustics that you would like to hear through the HP's…anyone hear/know anything about this???

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #23,910 of 65,799
  Me too.

They demoed one at the Chicago headphone meet called ChiUniFI, held last June.  Don't know if you are near Chicago; don't know if you can make it, and don't know if they will have it again, but they list the equipment in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back