Grado Fan Club!
Mar 24, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #23,881 of 66,264
Is there any way to tighten up the rods holding the speakers through the gimbal or whatever it's called? On my 225 the left side is way more loose than the right. It keeps sliding down from the weight of the cord. Grrr

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #23,882 of 66,264
Is there any way to tighten up the rods holding the speakers through the gimbal or whatever it's called? On my 225 the left side is way more loose than the right. It keeps sliding down from the weight of the cord. Grrr

I used some 3mm shaft collars on my PS1000 and it's a very cheap but superb solution.

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #23,883 of 66,264
Hi all for someone who has never heard or owned grados before what would you guys recommend for a beginner?

My budget $400 also would like the most neutral sounding.

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #23,884 of 66,264
Heh yep. I tried some s Cush on the 225e today. Can't do it. The bowls just sound too good. I don't carr what the insides look like
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe I'll take some rubbing alcohol in a q-tip to the screen. Haha.

I have the same problem with my ears touching the drivers.  Drives me crazy and after a few hours/day for a day or two, starts to make the part of my ear sore.  That is my only complaint about the Grado's and my only hesitation jumping the line to the 325e/RS2e.  Debating if it is worth the irritation :)

But in regards to leaving marks on the white felt, maybe this will help.  I'm not sure if it will change the sound too much but it looks like you could get the sound of the bowls with a bit of protection (and possibly comfort!).  Maybe I should try it myself... :wink:  You can see that it is the L-Cush bowls but with an additional removable piece of felt that goes over the driver.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/L-Cush-Foam-Replacement-Cushion-For-SR-60i-80i-125i-225i-325i-GS-1000i-Headphone-/261483385447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var&hash=item3ce19fd267&_uhb=1&clk_rvr_id=764847594680&rmvSB=true

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #23,885 of 66,264
  Hi all for someone who has never heard or owned grados before what would you guys recommend for a beginner?

Thanks!

I think the typical recommendation is to try out the SR60/SR80 and see if you like the sound signature/fit/design/etc.  Then move on up the line.  

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #23,886 of 66,264

Thanks!

I would suggest the SR80, and move up from there.
I wouldn't call Grado's neutral though, they sound quite vivid, natural.

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #23,887 of 66,264
I used some 3mm shaft collars on my PS1000 and it's a very cheap but superb solution.

If you can get access to a drill press and tap, it is pretty easy to drill a hole in the rod block and tap a hole for a small, large headed screw. This is what I have done and what is currently on my PS500s. This gets rid of some of my OCD over the wires twisting around.

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #23,888 of 66,264
If you can get access to a drill press and tap, it is pretty easy to drill a hole in the rod block and tap a hole for a small, large headed screw. This is what I have done and what is currently on my PS500s. This gets rid of some of my OCD over the wires twisting around.

I'd love to CNC my own rodblocks out of aluminium. The Joseph Grado headphones' rodblock should come back to Grado Labs.

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #23,889 of 66,264
I've thought about this too. I guess top on my list is getting a better set screw to just fit into the holes I have drilled and tapped. Right now I'm using some simple socket head cap screws from Home Depot, but they are inconvenient because I need to use an allen wrench to tighten or loosen them up. I really need to get some nice knurled thumb screws.

If anyone is interested, this is the orginal tutorial that inspired me to do this. Credit to Fatcat28037

http://www.head-fi.org/a/adding-rod-locks-to-grado-headphones 

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #23,890 of 66,264

Thanks!

Others here are much more experienced than I, but my first Grado (in 20 years, original 125 and 80). Was the PS500e. Absolutely love it, close to neutral, in a good way. Great all rounder, I listen to a very wide variety of music. Easy to drive, and you should watch hifishark.com and Head Fi F/S and snag a pair of gently used 500 or 500e, IMO.

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #23,891 of 66,264

Thanks!

Can you listen to a Grado at an audio shop? That was what I did in 2012, decided I liked the house sound and spent about $400 (a little more w/ a few accessories). A 400 budget for instance especially if you buy them used on the forums here could buy you a 225e (I have the earlier 225i and think it's good bang for buck) and a dac/amp combo. Lots of choices.

My suggestion would be a 225e ($200 new-but see if you can get it used) a Schiit modi DAC ($99 new which is killer value), and a Schiit Vali hybrid Tube amp ($119 new) or a Little Dot 1+ hybrid amp-just  a little more than the Vali, or less if you buy it used. Both are tube hybrids and have really good synergy w/ Grados. I started with a Schiit Asgard-2 which is a nice little amp but I don't think has quite as good synergy.

Caveats: if you haven't heard Grados throw everything I just said out the window. All bets are off. You might not like their sound signature (some don't) or more commonly, you may find the headphones uncomfortable.

And, there are many, many more ways to mix and match HP/DAC/AMP. You could go for a DAC/AMP combo for instance.

If you get the 80i, you won't even need an amp and can save your money for something bigger down the road.

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #23,892 of 66,264
I have the same problem with my ears touching the drivers.  Drives me crazy and after a few hours/day for a day or two, starts to make the part of my ear sore.  That is my only complaint about the Grado's and my only hesitation jumping the line to the 325e/RS2e.  Debating if it is worth the irritation :)

But in regards to leaving marks on the white felt, maybe this will help.  I'm not sure if it will change the sound too much but it looks like you could get the sound of the bowls with a bit of protection (and possibly comfort!).  Maybe I should try it myself... :wink:  You can see that it is the L-Cush bowls but with an additional removable piece of felt that goes over the driver.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/L-Cush-Foam-Replacement-Cushion-For-SR-60i-80i-125i-225i-325i-GS-1000i-Headphone-/261483385447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var&hash=item3ce19fd267&_uhb=1&clk_rvr_id=764847594680&rmvSB=true

Nice. I actually did something similar. I called them Frankenpads. I used the pads from my ksc75 and stuff them under the Ls. Not too bad.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #23,893 of 66,264

I did this once to my first pair of 80i's…it was cool, but the shaft collars are so much easier/cleaner looking. Also the thumb screws tend to loosen up and need to be tightened, and eventually the plastic rod block threads wear.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #23,894 of 66,264
I agree that it may look better, but the whole point for me is to have tool-less adjustment. I don't always want to keep an allen wrench in reach if i need to adjust things. Plus unless I am not seeing something right, the collars only prevent up and down movement if you put one on each side. Even then, it doesn't prevent rotation unless you add silicone or rubber o-rings between everything. I've been using mine with tapped plastic for years with no issues. Granted I don't adjust them a ton.

To each his own.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #23,895 of 66,264
  Can you listen to a Grado at an audio shop? That was what I did in 2012, decided I liked the house sound and spent about $400 (a little more w/ a few accessories). A 400 budget for instance especially if you buy them used on the forums here could buy you a 225e (I have the earlier 225i and think it's good bang for buck) and a dac/amp combo. Lots of choices.

My suggestion would be a 225e ($200 new-but see if you can get it used) a Schiit modi DAC ($99 new which is killer value), and a Schiit Vali hybrid Tube amp ($119 new) or a Little Dot 1+ hybrid amp-just  a little more than the Vali, or less if you buy it used. Both are tube hybrids and have really good synergy w/ Grados. I started with a Schiit Asgard-2 which is a nice little amp but I don't think has quite as good synergy.

Caveats: if you haven't heard Grados throw everything I just said out the window. All bets are off. You might not like their sound signature (some don't) or more commonly, you may find the headphones uncomfortable.

And, there are many, many more ways to mix and match HP/DAC/AMP. You could go for a DAC/AMP combo for instance.

If you get the 80i, you won't even need an amp and can save your money for something bigger down the road.

I think the typical recommendation is to try out the SR60/SR80 and see if you like the sound signature/fit/design/etc.  Then move on up the line.  

I would suggest the SR80, and move up from there.
I wouldn't call Grado's neutral though, they sound quite vivid, natural.

Others here are much more experienced than I, but my first Grado (in 20 years, original 125 and 80). Was the PS500e. Absolutely love it, close to neutral, in a good way. Great all rounder, I listen to a very wide variety of music. Easy to drive, and you should watch hifishark.com and Head Fi F/S and snag a pair of gently used 500 or 500e, IMO.

Thanks guys appreciate the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back