Grado Fan Club!
Jan 20, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #22,336 of 65,615
  @020Assassin, tried the 500e without the "socks" yesterday, too hot, not by a lot, but enough to make some recordings a bit irritating. So the "socks" are back on. Any thoughts on a substitute, something a bit thinner?

Cut stockings into circles a little larger than the drivers and fold the excess back onto the part of the driver were the cushion sits to hold the stocking in place.

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #22,337 of 65,615
Hey Guys I am getting a little rattle on my right side with the new 500e. Only happens with very bass heavy tracks. I don't believe it's a blown drive, it sounds fine on everything else, any thoughts?

Are these headphones difficult to use? I've been following your thread about using different pads, socks etc, along with the rattle. I was getting ready to finally order mine today. Yes, this is a real question.

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #22,338 of 65,615
Are these headphones difficult to use? I've been following your thread about using different pads, socks etc, along with the rattle. I was getting ready to finally order mine today. Yes, this is a real question.

I have the RS2e with the 500e on the way. I say no, these are very easy to use, but haven't experienced any issues (knock on wood). 

I suspect these 'socks' being mention are for protection during shipping, can't imagine they are intended to be used while listening, but could be wrong. We will see if the 500s show up with them. If they do, I'll reach out to TTVJ and see what their intention is.

Go for it, there are many, many happy Grado owners.

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #22,339 of 65,615
  Bend it out! Bend it out until the pressure is reduced enough for you to feel like something is hanging on your head leaving only very small force for you to feel the bass.

Don't buy the G-cushs, cos your Sr60i will sound like defected when equipped with those. Buy the L-cushs instead, but then, you still have to bend the headband out.

Man, that just worked like magic... listened for two hours, the sound didn`t change at all and i felt not pain and they were a lot more confortable!

Thanks a lot!!!

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #22,340 of 65,615

I have never tried the 225e but for $50.00 USD more the SR325e is worth the price and then some. But as a friend told me get the highest Grado in your price range and if you like the Grado Sound you'll be happy/ I started out going to get the SR80e then the SR125e then the SR255e then got a $100.00 gift and the SR325e landed in my house. Not one second of buyers remorse.
although I do wish the ear pads where more comfortable :frowning2:

Thanks for the input! I'll have to find a store in SF area that carries them and actually demo them both, I think.

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #22,341 of 65,615

The 225 has a plastic cup and the 325 a metal cup, which is the main difference. I can hear tonal differences and I lean toward the 325 (especially the iS, which I like better than the e), but I think you should audition both and choose what fits you and your music best.

Audition it is. I think there is 1 store in San Francisco where you can listen, but unfortunately they aren't hooked up to an amp...Thanks!

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #22,342 of 65,615

No they are very easy to use and great headphones, I would buy them again in a heartbeat! The socks are Grado installed and standard according too Todd at TTVJ. They sound better with them in place, IMO.

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #22,343 of 65,615
Hello guys.

I`m the owner of a Grado SR60i and i`m more than happy with the sound, but i have a small issue and maybe someone here can help me.

I use glasses, and the pads puts too much pressure over my ear and the metal part of the glasses that goes behind my ears, so after 30 minutes or so it`s pretty unconfortable, after one hours it starts to hurt.

I saw that i could put the G-cushions on them, could that improve a little the situation since they are bigger and they would sit around the ear, right? they are a bit expensive (compared with the headphones, i paid $85 for the SR60i and the pads are $50 or so...)

Are there other good quality and a bit cheaper pads that i could use?

Also, i`m from Spain and the G-cushions are not that easy to get, Grado don`t ship overseas, and the 2 officials shop that i contacted and sell Grado stuff have yet to answer me if they can get them...

I could try to buy some used ones here in Head-Fi maybe...

Thanks in advance!!

I just place my glasses on top of the earpads.

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #22,345 of 65,615
I just place my glasses on top of the earpads.

Nice... I never thought of that, but it really works great. Thanks for that tip 
beerchug.gif

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #22,346 of 65,615
My Grado audio dealer just checked with Grado Labs to find that the GS1000e's that I am expecting are scheduled to go into production at the end of this month!  They say they have been very busy.

Though its a long wait, it's sort of special to have your very own GS1000e just built when you get it!

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #22,347 of 65,615
^^^Another +1 from a blind, middle age fart who needs reading glasses!

For those who like jazz, I am listening to an excellent recommendation from my buddy @DrJazz, Marty Earlich. Some great recoding that sound spectacular with the iDSD Nano and PS500e, highly recommended for some great new Jazz! 

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #22,348 of 65,615
Hey Guys, just got my first Grado fix last week and already considering a purchase :'(

I can get pretty cheap Allesandro MS-2 for 130€, but I really wanna buy the Grado SR1e.

What would you guys recommend? Money is not that much of an issue, as long as I'm happy with my purchase ;')

If the improvement of the SR1 oder MS-2 is really big, I would rather go with them, since I'm hearing great things about them.

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #22,349 of 65,615
  ^^^Another +1 from a blind, middle age fart who needs reading glasses!

For those who like jazz, I am listening to an excellent recommendation from my buddy @DrJazz, Marty Earlich. Some great recoding that sound spectacular with the iDSD Nano and PS500e, highly recommended for some great new Jazz! 

john coltrane , "lush life" magni2u/modi2u/hfm he-400i here 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back