Grado Fan Club!
Nov 20, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #10,486 of 65,688

Thanks for sharing the link to the pictures.  Very interesting as I've always heard of their presence within a browstone building in Brooklyn.

In the pictures, I noted the following:

* The lathe appears to be housed in a red box with the glass window.  I suspect they are using a CNC machine to cut all of the mahogany cups as well as the inserts for the PS-1000, and PS-500.  

* The time clock on the wall for punching in / punching out during the start and end of work only had 5 time cards in the slots.  Does Mr. Grado use a card?  My guess is yes.  This operation is "old school" pretty much all of the way with the exception of the parts (headbands, gimbals, etc.)

I saw the time clock as well and had a quiet chuckle. I haven't seen one of those since my first job at a very old-fashioned supermarket/dry goods store in rural South Africa...that was almost 20 years ago now, and it was regarded as a working antique.

The CNC for the cups and inserts makes sense, especially the inserts. Everyone I have talked to about inserts mentions how painful it is to turn them by hand.

I am still staring at the 5th picture and wondering if that's where the drivers are either made or "doped".

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #10,487 of 65,688
  I've been to Grado, for sure its no Brooklyn brownstone, you would never even think it was a business, there are two old gray (steel) barn type doors on the street level, and above that looks like a typical (old brick) Brooklyn apartment. There are no signs at all, or windows on the ground level, you would think it was an abandoned building. As far as being inside, I was only in the receptionist office which is right on the other side of the barn doors, and very, very old looking, obviously from the photos  some rooms upstairs appear to be nice.

I believe that the Grados used to live upstairs. The listening room in the pictures (blue walls, striped curtains) was their living room...

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #10,488 of 65,688
  I believe that the Grados used to live upstairs. The listening room in the pictures (blue walls, striped curtains) was their living room...

Yes exactly, it is that type of building where the ground level is the business and above are apartments, its like that everywhere in Brooklyn. Also in the room you are talking about (or maybe a different photo), I noticed the old radiators like I used to have growing up in Brooklyn.
This must have been the living room, this was the nice room I was referring to.

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #10,489 of 65,688
  I've been to Grado, for sure its no Brooklyn brownstone, you would never even think it was a business, there are two old gray (steel) barn type doors on the street level, and above that looks like a typical (old brick) Brooklyn apartment. There are no signs at all, or windows on the ground level, you would think it was an abandoned building. As far as being inside, I was only in the receptionist office which is right on the other side of the barn doors, and very, very old looking, obviously from the photos some rooms upstairs appear to be nice.

Oh ... thank you for the correction.  I had been going off something I read and apparently that information wasn't accurate.  As they say ... not all information on the Internet is always true.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #10,490 of 65,688
  Oh ... thank you for the correction.  I had been going off something I read and apparently that information wasn't accurate.  As they say ... not all information on the Internet is always true.

Yes, they once allowed me to come into the building being I called them and told them I was in the neighborhood so I could pick up a pair of (G) cushions. So for sure its no brownstone. LOL!!! 

Nov 20, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #10,491 of 65,688
A friend of mine was starting to get bored of his $450 (NZD) Beats and said he wants something new. I brought him to a local headphones dealer and told him to listen to the SR-80i. I told him that it was a $300 pair of cans (the actual price in NZ is about $150), and he gave it a shot.

He was absolutely mesmerized by the sound of it and when I told him that it costs half of what I originally said, he bought it within a blink of an eye 
biggrin.gif

Well, what he actually bought was an SR-60i, but still, made him deviated from his pair of Beats 
tongue.gif

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #10,492 of 65,688
I guess some might think that at $99 U.S. ...the wooden box is a steal....but I would rather have a set of SR80i at $99. 
tongue.gif

I do like the box though, and it is a good idea to offer it to those who want it.

Kudos to them for doing that.

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #10,493 of 65,688
I received my 225i today and they are a definite step up from the 80i. The bass is oh so lovely especially with the added warmth and bass from the USA made Amperex tube in my amp.

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #10,494 of 65,688
  A friend of mine was starting to get bored of his $450 (NZD) Beats and said he wants something new. I brought him to a local headphones dealer and told him to listen to the SR-80i. I told him that it was a $300 pair of cans (the actual price in NZ is about $150), and he gave it a shot.

He was absolutely mesmerized by the sound of it and when I told him that it costs half of what I originally said, he bought it within a blink of an eye 
biggrin.gif

Well, what he actually bought was an SR-60i, but still, made him deviated from his pair of Beats 
tongue.gif

Nice one!!! I'm sure he would have sold his beats and paid $300.00 for the 60's, and I'm sure he couldn't take his money out fast enough when he heard the real price! LOL!!!

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #10,495 of 65,688
So this is Grado Labs?

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #10,498 of 65,688
I received my 225i today and they are a definite step up from the 80i. The bass is oh so lovely especially with the added warmth and bass from the USA made Amperex tube in my amp.

We could have saved you $100.  Open the cups and open 2 holes.  But, you'd still be out the L-Cush pads and the 8-conductor cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back