Grado Fan Club!
Nov 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #10,471 of 65,852
  I'm very interested in how these also, if you do purchase them, please let us know how they sound!

I'm willing to discuss all things Ohm, but not in this thread, since they're way OT.  But they are manufactured very much like Gardo's, and in the same town.

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #10,472 of 65,852
Any guesses what the 'surprise' is with the box?  I hope it's not that the wood is fake...
tongue_smile.gif
 (sarcasm, just to be sure)
wink_face.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #10,473 of 65,852
  For the price of the headphones, I personally think it should have came with one, and have been an option for the less expensive models.  

Then you would have to pay more for your cans!
Grado gave away the wood boxes for as long as they could afford to.
The cost became too high for them to continue to give the box for free.
They did not want to pass extra cost to their customers.
Even still, Grado felt bad so they gave away an extension cord instead of the box.
That is why a new Grado RS1 comes with an extension cord.
The really important fact is that Grado has not increased the price of the RS1 since released in 1994 = 20 years!
I am sure they would give the box away if they could afford to. 
Also remember that Grado doesn't sell direct. They only sell through dealers, so their margins are not huge, even on $700 cans.

The correct solution is what they have done. Search for a new source for a wood box and sell it as cheap as possible so those who want can buy but it doesn't make their cans more expensive for everyone.

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #10,474 of 65,852

I'm willing to discuss all things Ohm, but not in this thread, since they're way OT.  But they are manufactured very much like Gardo's, and in the same town.

I'm just curious to hear if they sound like a Grado headphone through a speaker. Is there a thread on Head-Fi for this topic?

Any guesses what the 'surprise' is with the box?  I hope it's not that the wood is fake...
tongue_smile.gif
 (sarcasm, just to be sure)
wink_face.gif

I'm guessing its a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter. 

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #10,476 of 65,852

I was thinking the same thing since all of my headbands are U shaped, I would have to push them back to the original shape, and they would once again have that clamping effect.

I guess it's time for the DIY-iers to cut the foam for U shaped Grado 
size]

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #10,477 of 65,852
Any guesses what the 'surprise' is with the box?  I hope it's not that the wood is fake...:tongue_smile:  (sarcasm, just to be sure):wink_face:

It would be brilliant if it was a pair of RS3 built like that prototype that surfaced...but that's perhaps being overly optimistic :D

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #10,479 of 65,852
  This was just a guess, not a fact.
I have a brand new extra one, if you would like to cancel your order, I will give it to you as long as you pay the shipping cost.
PM me if you want it.

Thanks for the offer, I actually already have two, was just buying a spare, just in case.  It also should get me free shipping on the case due to the order being over $99, cheaper to get another part than to pay for the shipping...go figure.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #10,480 of 65,852
  Thanks for the offer, I actually already have two, was just buying a spare, just in case.  It also should get me free shipping on the case due to the order being over $99, cheaper to get another part than to pay for the shipping...go figure.

Your welcome for the offer.
Definitely made more sense to purchase the adapter instead of paying the shipping cost. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #10,481 of 65,852
I don't think I will be buying the box... just a bit too expensive with shipping and all.  I'll just keep putting them back in the pizza box (I don't like letting them sit out because the sun coming through the window can discolor the wood and pads).

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #10,482 of 65,852
  I don't think I will be buying the box... just a bit too expensive with shipping and all.  I'll just keep putting them back in the pizza box (I don't like letting them sit out because the sun coming through the window can discolor the wood and pads).

True audiophile will design a shelve for their gears 
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #10,484 of 65,852
  Also some very cool still photos from inside the Grado offices:
http://stefanznosko.4ormat.com/audio

Thanks for sharing the link to the pictures.  Very interesting as I've always heard of their presence within a browstone building in Brooklyn.

In the pictures, I noted the following:

* The lathe appears to be housed in a red box with the glass window.  I suspect they are using a CNC machine to cut all of the mahogany cups as well as the inserts for the PS-1000, and PS-500.  

* The time clock on the wall for punching in / punching out during the start and end of work only had 5 time cards in the slots.  Does Mr. Grado use a card?  My guess is yes.  This operation is "old school" pretty much all of the way with the exception of the parts (headbands, gimbals, etc.)

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #10,485 of 65,852

Thanks for sharing the link to the pictures.  Very interesting as I've always heard of their presence within a browstone building in Brooklyn.

In the pictures, I noted the following:

* The lathe appears to be housed in a red box with the glass window.  I suspect they are using a CNC machine to cut all of the mahogany cups as well as the inserts for the PS-1000, and PS-500.  

* The time clock on the wall for punching in / punching out during the start and end of work only had 5 time cards in the slots.  Does Mr. Grado use a card?  My guess is yes.  This operation is "old school" pretty much all of the way with the exception of the parts (headbands, gimbals, etc.)

I've been to Grado, for sure its no Brooklyn brownstone, you would never even think it was a business, there are two old gray (steel) barn type doors on the street level, and above that looks like a typical (old brick) Brooklyn apartment. There are no signs at all, or windows on the ground level, you would think it was an abandoned building. As far as being inside, I was only in the receptionist office which is right on the other side of the barn doors, and very, very old looking, obviously from the photos some rooms upstairs appear to be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back