Grado Fan Club!
Feb 25, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #64,486 of 65,698
I've been looking into getting my first Grado and am hoping to get some guidance from you all. My use case for it would be as a portable option around the house when I don't feel like being tied to my desktop setup. I plan on getting the new FiiO KA11 dongle to pair with my iPhone. Obviously it's not going to be as good as something like a Cayin RU7, but I don't like having a heavy dongle hanging off my phone and just want something very convenient and pocket-able.

I want to experience that classic Grado crunch and clarity that many say works so well with rock and metal. I listen to a lot of guitar-focused indie rock, post-rock and post-metal, shoegaze, etc. (some good examples of bands I listen to in these genres are Modest Mouse, Built to Spill, Amenra, Neurosis, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Alcest, Deafheaven, Cult of Luna, Stiu Nu Stiu). I also love jazz which Grados are also supposed to be good for. I want something that will be complementary to, and a big departure from, the ZMF house sound of my Atticus and Verite, but I'm guessing pretty much any Grado will give me that.

So far I've been thinking either the SR325x, RS2x, or GH4 if I can find one. I know most would probably say the 325x is the safest pick for someone new to Grado, but I'm really drawn to the idea of getting something that has that classic Grado sound so I can get the full-on experience.

However, this is where I'm hoping to get some valuable insight. I'm anticipating finding F and L cushions very uncomfortable for longer listening, and in the case that I do end up finding them too uncomfortable to enjoy, I want to make sure whatever Grados I get will still sound good and retain the Grado house sound with one of the more conventionally comfortable pad options, namely the G cush, Nyczaj pads, or BA pads. Of the 325x, RS2x, and GH4, which of these would likely work best with any of the pads I mentioned? I've seen some people who are fans of the G cush on the 325x, but most seem to like the F cush best, and I imagine the Nyczaj or BA pads would add too much bass to the 325x and take away too much of the Grado house sound. Maybe the RS2x or GH4 would be a better choice for these types of pads? Are there any other Grados that would be worth looking into? I don't really want to go above $550. Thanks in advance for any guidance!
All good models, I don’t think you can single handedly go wrong with any Grado honestly. I listen to all genres listed, and dabble in jazz/classical/zydeco/blues and have been blown away via the RS1i paired with G cushions. I started out with an SR125 and yaxi pads, and still use them daily.

Feb 25, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #64,487 of 65,698
Playing around a bit...
Is it true that the RS1 originally came with F, not L pads? I received mine with L, but today tried both F and G. With F they show an interesting amount of bass that seems to reach deeper than on my other Grados, while still keeping most of their airy character (unlike the Hemps, which don't have much of that treble glitter I like). They also work quite well with the G pads (also requiring quite a bit more power to reach similar volume, as discussed recently).
IMG_3540.jpegIMG_3541.jpeg

Feb 25, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #64,488 of 65,698
I've been looking into getting my first Grado and am hoping to get some guidance from you all. My use case for it would be as a portable option around the house when I don't feel like being tied to my desktop setup. I plan on getting the new FiiO KA11 dongle to pair with my iPhone. Obviously it's not going to be as good as something like a Cayin RU7, but I don't like having a heavy dongle hanging off my phone and just want something very convenient and pocket-able.

I want to experience that classic Grado crunch and clarity that many say works so well with rock and metal. I listen to a lot of guitar-focused indie rock, post-rock and post-metal, shoegaze, etc. (some good examples of bands I listen to in these genres are Modest Mouse, Built to Spill, Amenra, Neurosis, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Alcest, Deafheaven, Cult of Luna, Stiu Nu Stiu). I also love jazz which Grados are also supposed to be good for. I want something that will be complementary to, and a big departure from, the ZMF house sound of my Atticus and Verite, but I'm guessing pretty much any Grado will give me that.

So far I've been thinking either the SR325x, RS2x, or GH4 if I can find one. I know most would probably say the 325x is the safest pick for someone new to Grado, but I'm really drawn to the idea of getting something that has that classic Grado sound so I can get the full-on experience.

However, this is where I'm hoping to get some valuable insight. I'm anticipating finding F and L cushions very uncomfortable for longer listening, and in the case that I do end up finding them too uncomfortable to enjoy, I want to make sure whatever Grados I get will still sound good and retain the Grado house sound with one of the more conventionally comfortable pad options, namely the G cush, Nyczaj pads, or BA pads. Of the 325x, RS2x, and GH4, which of these would likely work best with any of the pads I mentioned? I've seen some people who are fans of the G cush on the 325x, but most seem to like the F cush best, and I imagine the Nyczaj or BA pads would add too much bass to the 325x and take away too much of the Grado house sound. Maybe the RS2x or GH4 would be a better choice for these types of pads? Are there any other Grados that would be worth looking into? I don't really want to go above $550. Thanks in advance for any guidance!
FWIW: If they are just for "around the house use" you may also consider the BT version GW100x. While I have many other Grados, I still enjoy the very first version GW100. The new versions are supposedly much better in terms of battery life and BT range. It can also be used wired, which to my ears improves the sound quality.
As always, if you have the opportunity to try.....

Feb 25, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #64,489 of 65,698
Would love to hear the PS2000e some day. My PS500e is really the only Grado I could listen to for extended periods. (Don’t hate me for it, Gradophiles!)
The PS500e is a gem, too. If you can, upgrade it with Nyczaj Audio hardware / Turbulent Labs headband. Sonics, besides appearance, improve.

Feb 25, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #64,490 of 65,698
Playing around a bit...
Is it true that the RS1 originally came with F, not L pads? I received mine with L, but today tried both F and G. With F they show an interesting amount of bass that seems to reach deeper than on my other Grados, while still keeping most of their airy character (unlike the Hemps, which don't have much of that treble glitter I like). They also work quite well with the G pads (also requiring quite a bit more power to reach similar volume, as discussed recently).
Yes, the RS-1 Classic are originally meant to be used with the f-pads, and in my opinion tops without contest the L-pads as the Nyczaj ones. Curiously my 325i is top notch with the Nyczaj pads over the L-ones, but keep in mind that I enjoy bass a lot.

The Hemp, that I also owned in the past - too bad about the cable thickness that I didn´t like at all - is way warmer, almost dark, that is why the treble differs from more conventional models. I loved the sound also. The bass was lovely.

I listen mostly to Instrumental Progressive metal/rock and I love my share of bass, both in quantity and quality but not at the expense of other frequencies.

That is why I like my Grado, I believe they make guitars shine like few headphones and with the "proper" pads and amp, the mid-bass is lovely. Too bad about sub-bass but we cannot have it all.

I also recently got my first ZMF headphone, the Bokeh and I also love it. It sort of similar in many areas to the 325i with Nyczaj pads but with better sub-bass and bass quality overall - it is also a closed HP so not a fair comparison in this matter. Nevertheless let´s keep in mind that I'm comparing a 1200€ (in Europe) headphone to a 200€ one (used since you can´t get them new obviously). Quite remarkable in my opinion.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #64,492 of 65,698
Yes, the RS-1 Classic are originally meant to be used with the f-pads, and in my opinion tops without contest the L-pads as the Nyczaj ones. Curiously my 325i is top notch with the Nyczaj pads over the L-ones, but keep in mind that I enjoy bass a lot.

The Hemp, that I also owned in the past - too bad about the cable thickness that I didn´t like at all - is way warmer, almost dark, that is why the treble differs from more conventional models. I loved the sound also. The bass was lovely.

I listen mostly to Instrumental Progressive metal/rock and I love my share of bass, both in quantity and quality but not at the expense of other frequencies.

That is why I like my Grado, I believe they make guitars shine like few headphones and with the "proper" pads and amp, the mid-bass is lovely. Too bad about sub-bass but we cannot have it all.

I also recently got my first ZMF headphone, the Bokeh and I also love it. It sort of similar in many areas to the 325i with Nyczaj pads but with better sub-bass and bass quality overall - it is also a closed HP so not a fair comparison in this matter. Nevertheless let´s keep in mind that I'm comparing a 1200€ (in Europe) headphone to a 200€ one (used since you can´t get them new obviously). Quite remarkable in my opinion.

There have been about 6 versions of the original button RS1 and the later versions were sold with L pads. I used mine with F and didn't like it all that much. Now with L they are the best Grado headphones i have. They excel with the Mojo 2 and some bass boost or with my iPod Classic. They are special in the sense that they are balanced. Not boring-balanced like the PS500e (they're still great), but the RS1 button has treble like an RS2e, mids nearly like a GS1000i and bass like a PS500. Truly lovely headphones.

Feb 25, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #64,493 of 65,698
Checked my post history here, and apparently, the very last post I submitted on this forum was way back 2011 😄

Anyway, just quietly checking in then with my recently copped Grados (BushmillsXGrado + Qudelix5K + Streaming + Double shot Irish coffee + Late afternoon golden hour = My kind of bliss)…

C2381986-3DBA-4C68-9215-F5CFE65C0C1B.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #64,494 of 65,698
Feb 25, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #64,495 of 65,698
Checked my post history here, and apparently, the very last post I submitted on this forum was way back 2011 😄

Anyway, just quietly checking in then with my recently copped Grados (BushmillsXGrado + Qudelix5K + Streaming + Double shot Irish coffee + Late afternoon golden hour = My kind of bliss)…

Very nice!

Three of my favorite things: Bushmills, Irish Coffee and Grados.

Feb 25, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #64,496 of 65,698
I missed the PS500Xs by a few hours (likely for my own good), but would encourage everyone else that wanted one to send an encourageing email to Grado to do another lot of 50. :gs1000smile:

Feb 25, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #64,497 of 65,698
I missed the PS500Xs by a few hours (likely for my own good), but would encourage everyone else that wanted one to send an encourageing email to Grado to do another lot of 50. :gs1000smile:
That would depend on whether there are any PS500 earspeaker housings available / left in storage. The 'x' series of drivers is not the constraint.

Feb 25, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #64,498 of 65,698
That would depend on whether there are any PS500 earspeaker housings available / left in storage. The 'x' series of drivers is not the constraint.

Produce more housings - they will sell out.

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #64,500 of 65,698
Produce more housings - they will sell out.
That number may be quite high ... so as to defray the fixed and variable costs incurred in 'reviving' a longtime discontinued item (plus a reasonable profit margin). 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back