Grado Fan Club!
Feb 27, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #64,516 of 65,692
Ahh .... the ZMF + Grado zealotry .... try ten of each .... 🤪
I wish I could afford to be a zmf zealot. I was in midfi hell until I got the RS1X. Still saving for a pietus and bifrost.

Feb 27, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #64,517 of 65,692
Any generalized details between the two [ ZMFs and Grados ] you could pass along as to enjoy.
To my old, slightly damaged ears (although my audiologist says the hearing in my right ear is still excellent), moving from the ZMF (Atrium and Verite) to the Grado PS500e, via the Icon Audio HP8 Sig. (with a 3-way impedance switch to adjust for Grado's low impedance), my initial reaction is that I have switched from my tube amp to a transistor radio. Hence my "What the hell?" reaction.

The ZMFs are mid-forward and warm, but provide a full-spectrum rainbow of sound. The Atrium, especially is like a cozy blanket, so moving directly to the Grado is like swapping soft cotton for steel wool. HOWEVER, that sensation quickly goes away as my ears and brain acclimate to the new sound signature.
  • After just a few minutes, I still feel the Grado is more treble-forward, and the quantity of bass is diminished, but the sound is no longer being perceived as harsh.
  • After 10 minutes, I am once again appreciating the liveliness that Grado brings to table. Drumsticks hitting cymbals have that energetic ting and zing (like in real life). Electric guitars (and saxophones, for that matter) have a nice bite.
  • After 20 minutes, I feel adjusted to the sound and am ready to fiddle with the EQ (Schiitt Lokius) - and to you EQ-deniers, I say you do what you like and I'll do it my way. For my tastes with these headphones, treble gets dialed down a bit and bass boosted a bit. Still sounds like a Grado, but I have moved from "What the hell?" all the way to, "Aah, this is why I keep these in the headphone collection. Let's rock."
Different flavor headphones for different genres of music or mood. Good times! I don't think anything can top my Verite for instrumental jazz with its meaty dense sound, but I like the Atrium and PS500e both for rock, just in very different ways. Atrium has a magic with vocals and a natural timbre while Grados have that jump & boogie and "you are there" liveliness.

Photo of the PS500e (with my Sennheiser 414-Beautiful Audio-Frankenstein pads - I told you I do things my way!) and Icon Audio HP8 Sig (although I have since swapped the stock tubes in this photo with 1959 NU (National Union) 6SN7GT Black Beauties and 1960's RCA 12AX7A

Grado_Icon.JPG

Feb 27, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #64,518 of 65,692
I wish I could afford to be a zmf zealot. I was in midfi hell until I got the RS1X. Still saving for a pietus and bifrost.
.... 'midfi' is not necessarily 'hell' .... there are sub-expectation / subpar / substandard pieces of audio gear at all price levels .... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #64,519 of 65,692
.... 'midfi' is not necessarily 'hell' .... there are sub-expectation / subpar / substandard pieces of audio gear at all price levels .... 🤷🏻‍♂️
Not to mention some really exceptional options in the mid-fi category <=$1k. For my personal preferences I'd take my Atticus over most TOTL headphones on the market for pure musical enjoyment. I'm sure many people in this thread feel similarly about their Grados!

moving directly to the Grado is like swapping soft cotton for steel wool
The idea of switching directly from ZMF to Grado being sort of like getting out of the jacuzzi and jumping straight into an ice bath is kind of appealing to me :beyersmile:

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #64,520 of 65,692
..... in dissimilar fashion, I cannot say that I would relish switching directly from Mantovani With Strings to Marilyn Manson !! 😂🤪🤢

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #64,521 of 65,692
..... in dissimilar fashion, I cannot say that I would relish switching directly from Mantovani With Strings to Marilyn Manson !! 😂🤪🤢
Amazing, how did you know that Mr. Manson has just hired a string section to integrate with whatever it is he does.

He does his good works in supporting the makers of Cosmetics.

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #64,523 of 65,692
Decided to order the 225x last night as my first Grado, thanks for all the help everyone! The 325x seemed like a really great choice but after reading some more I thought the 225x might have just a slightly more preferred tonality for me with some additional weight and cost savings.

Coming from my Verite and Atticus, it'll probably take me a little bit to acclimate to the Grado sound once they get here, but I'm excited to see if I end up loving that sound or if its crispness will scare me away haha. Hopefully it'll be the former and I'll join the ZMF + Grado fan camp along with several other people here :)

Please let us know your impressions. :)

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #64,524 of 65,692
Finnally got the SR325x and the RS2x. :ksc75smile: I liked the L pads on the SR325x more than the F pads, the F pads seemed the a little darker and more bassy while the the L pads brought out the mids and the highs a little bit more. These are my first grados and i LOVE them. Looking foward modding them. :)grado.jpg

Wow, this two beasts at the same time. In comparison, you will need more time and pacience with the RS2x, but it's so rewarding and unique.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #64,525 of 65,692
This is true. And tbh. I love all my headphones.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #64,526 of 65,692
Wow, this two beasts at the same time. In comparison, you will need more time and pacience with the RS2x, but it's so rewarding and unique.
RS2x did take quite a while to "break in" +50 hours - they are still improving a little over a year later

Feb 27, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #64,527 of 65,692
RS2x did take quite a while to "break in" +50 hours - they are still improving a little over a year later
The "X" headphones seem to take a VERY long time to break in. I think it's worth the time. Many headphone enthusiasts will listen to a new find for a day or two and if they don't like it, they return it. If they do that with the RS2x or RS1x they will have missed out on something special. IMHO

Leo

Feb 27, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #64,528 of 65,692
The "X" headphones seem to take a VERY long time to break in. I think it's worth the time. Many headphone enthusiasts will listen to a new find for a day or two and if they don't like it, they return it. If they do that with the RS2x or RS1x they will have missed out on something special. IMHO

Leo
Leo is so right, breaking it in will start showing audible changes fairly soon but as Leo pointed out you need to keep going. As a general rule I figure 100 hours will get you to the happy place but keep track and use some favorite well recorded tracks for gauging the evolution. My PS2000e was still evolving at close to 300 hours.

Be assured this is not a trait specific to Grado as I have done the same with all my phones as I’m sure most of you have or should.

Obviously I am quite the firm believer in break in with a number of audio gear which comes from having been in retail audio for over 20 years. I even would rufuse to sell a broken in demo as I would only have to put the time in all over again when I put a brand new piece up.

So listen to Leo……

Feb 27, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #64,529 of 65,692

Leo
Understandably, most people don't believe in break in at all. But I share this experience. Grado in general has a longer break in period than most. But trying to explain this to anyone who believes it's a fabrication will usually lead to you being insulted. So I have given up. Their loss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back