Grado Fan Club!
Jul 16, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #48,136 of 65,648
Excuse the below essay I've just wrote , but it's my night off work & I've had too many black coffees. So some caffeine inspired words are about to speak out .

My one gripe with the PS500e is that it only extends to 14khz at the bottom end , yet the amount of bass this HP voices is incredible , it's thick & solid , but I'd say it's more quantity than quality.
That's not to say the PS500e does not have quality bass because it certainly is of premium quality , yet whether by intelligent design or not (which I suspect the former) , it leaves me thirsting for that extra bit more of that Grado extension.
Now as it is , I do have the top of the line Reference series , now the 12khz the RS1e drops low enough to really satisfies that thirst of bass depth I desire, yet the RS1e doesn't spit bass quantity like the 500e .
This is not an attempt at being a comparison between the two as they are two totally different beasts altogether , but I digress.

Now since I purchased the RS1e , things in my audio life took a strange unexpected twist , heck at first the RS1e bamboozled me , it is clearly a Grado yet an exotic flavour I neither embraced or rejected , but a bit of EQ & breaking the driver / brain in , It became the only HP I wore for a few months .
On return to my faithful trusting RS2e / Sr325e I was left once again bamboozled.
I was neither satisfied anymore by the 325e (lack of bass depth) hence the reason I sold it , also the RS2e had lost it's magic with me , it's voice sounding to thin , nice depth though , just not enough meat on the bone , it's fate was sealed like the 325e.

Enter 500e - Grado or not , I've never heard a HP (500e) voice bass this potent before , NOW if this HP extended to 12 khz like the RS1e it would be the best Grado I've ever heard , I'd even be tempted to rank it as my #1 flagship HP .
Let's not forget to mention the highs are resonated beautiful by the aluminium air chamber , yet smoothed & churned to a buttery perfection by the mahogany driver casing.

Off topic Grado for a moment - But the Hifiman Ananda which I've become accustomed to drops to 8khz and has the capability to wobble my teeth when I apply my EQ .
Yet I only use this HP for Progressive House & Prog / Atmospheric Breakbeat genres .
The Ananda doesn't satisfy me for Rock or Metal as I find it can sound - let's say -
less meat on the bone , like I'm mid crowd -concert , maybe due to the driver distancing from the ear , but for EDM it's magical . But for Rock & Metal only Grado satisfies for these genres , so close & intimate .

In a nutshell , the PS500e is so close to being the one & only Grado HP I would chose to take on a desert island to see the rest of my days out. Unfortunately I would have to take the RS1e instead as I know with EQ it ticks more boxes.

Mr. Grado & Sons - please widen the frequency response of the 500e , please !!!!!! ,
Why have you thwarted what could have been audio perfection ,

Interestingly the Hemp has my attention , as it has a 13 khz frequency response , now this I find odd yet rather revealing of the Hemps true identity .
Only at RS1e territory is when you start to get treated to the finer dynamics of wider frequency responses .

SR Plastics 20 -20 , SR325e 18-24 , RS2E / GH series 14 -28/29 (except GH3 ???)

My point is , only when you hit flagship models does Grado extend past the 14-29 frequency response range.
Based on that pattern I could be justified in speculating that the Hemp was actually designed to be the new middle headphone in the Reference series .
Some would call me a conspiracy theorist , that's fine , but on the UK official grado website the Hemp clearly features on the Reference series page.
Maybe due to the Hemps unexpected popularity in the HP world , Grado dropped the price , cashed in and decided to re-vamp their entire line up using the Hemp driver , cough cough X-Series technology .

Conspiracy theories aside , I'm getting tempted with the Hemp , If it delivers with authority like the 500e , well i'm all ears.

Can anyone give me a solid comparison between the Hemp & 500e ?? , I would be really interested & grateful .

Jul 16, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #48,137 of 65,648
Just bought a mint second hand ps1000 the first matt version. Not tried yet . They're 500g so heavier than I expected. But I'm sure I'll enjoy them. Was going for a new 500e for £400 ebay. But found these on market place at what I thought a good price ....
Lotta fake Grados out there on ebay....just sayin.

Jul 17, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #48,138 of 65,648
Normally I agree with you Gippy, but not the above. The only difference between the original SR60 and SR80 was that the 80 drivers were matched. Both used S pads.

I was 100% sure that the SR80 used L pads. It's ancient history, but archive.org archived this article which specifically mentioned it. This archived sales page shows an SR80 with the L pad. It appears that from 1994-1998, the SR80 may have used the S pad. Then from 1998-2006, the SR80 definitely used the L pad. Then when the i-series launched in 2006, the SR80i and SR125i reverted back to the S pad.

Mr. Grado & Sons - please widen the frequency response of the 500e , please !!!!!! , Why have you thwarted what could have been audio perfection
Well, there is the ultra-rare PS1, in which fewer than 300 were ever made. Very few people have heard the PS1 but those who have were very positive about it. But due to scarcity, it's probably the second-most expensive Grado out there after the HP1000. That aside, the FR numbers that Grado claims seem to be marketing fluff. The GS2000e/GS3000e has a claimed FR of "4hz" on the low end. Having previously owned the GS2000e, I can absolutely tell you its bass didn't extend as low as my GS3000e, which is why I ended up selling my GS2000e. (old comparison review here)

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #48,139 of 65,648
Excuse the below essay I've just wrote , but it's my night off work & I've had too many black coffees. So some caffeine inspired words are about to speak out .

My one gripe with the PS500e is that it only extends to 14khz at the bottom end , yet the amount of bass this HP voices is incredible , it's thick & solid , but I'd say it's more quantity than quality.
That's not to say the PS500e does not have quality bass because it certainly is of premium quality , yet whether by intelligent design or not (which I suspect the former) , it leaves me thirsting for that extra bit more of that Grado extension.
Now as it is , I do have the top of the line Reference series , now the 12khz the RS1e drops low enough to really satisfies that thirst of bass depth I desire, yet the RS1e doesn't spit bass quantity like the 500e .
This is not an attempt at being a comparison between the two as they are two totally different beasts altogether , but I digress.

Now since I purchased the RS1e , things in my audio life took a strange unexpected twist , heck at first the RS1e bamboozled me , it is clearly a Grado yet an exotic flavour I neither embraced or rejected , but a bit of EQ & breaking the driver / brain in , It became the only HP I wore for a few months .
On return to my faithful trusting RS2e / Sr325e I was left once again bamboozled.
I was neither satisfied anymore by the 325e (lack of bass depth) hence the reason I sold it , also the RS2e had lost it's magic with me , it's voice sounding to thin , nice depth though , just not enough meat on the bone , it's fate was sealed like the 325e.

Enter 500e - Grado or not , I've never heard a HP (500e) voice bass this potent before , NOW if this HP extended to 12 khz like the RS1e it would be the best Grado I've ever heard , I'd even be tempted to rank it as my #1 flagship HP .
Let's not forget to mention the highs are resonated beautiful by the aluminium air chamber , yet smoothed & churned to a buttery perfection by the mahogany driver casing.

Off topic Grado for a moment - But the Hifiman Ananda which I've become accustomed to drops to 8khz and has the capability to wobble my teeth when I apply my EQ .
Yet I only use this HP for Progressive House & Prog / Atmospheric Breakbeat genres .
The Ananda doesn't satisfy me for Rock or Metal as I find it can sound - let's say -
less meat on the bone , like I'm mid crowd -concert , maybe due to the driver distancing from the ear , but for EDM it's magical . But for Rock & Metal only Grado satisfies for these genres , so close & intimate .

In a nutshell , the PS500e is so close to being the one & only Grado HP I would chose to take on a desert island to see the rest of my days out. Unfortunately I would have to take the RS1e instead as I know with EQ it ticks more boxes.

Mr. Grado & Sons - please widen the frequency response of the 500e , please !!!!!! ,
Why have you thwarted what could have been audio perfection ,

Interestingly the Hemp has my attention , as it has a 13 khz frequency response , now this I find odd yet rather revealing of the Hemps true identity .
Only at RS1e territory is when you start to get treated to the finer dynamics of wider frequency responses .

SR Plastics 20 -20 , SR325e 18-24 , RS2E / GH series 14 -28/29 (except GH3 ???)

My point is , only when you hit flagship models does Grado extend past the 14-29 frequency response range.
Based on that pattern I could be justified in speculating that the Hemp was actually designed to be the new middle headphone in the Reference series .
Some would call me a conspiracy theorist , that's fine , but on the UK official grado website the Hemp clearly features on the Reference series page.
Maybe due to the Hemps unexpected popularity in the HP world , Grado dropped the price , cashed in and decided to re-vamp their entire line up using the Hemp driver , cough cough X-Series technology .

Conspiracy theories aside , I'm getting tempted with the Hemp , If it delivers with authority like the 500e , well i'm all ears.

Can anyone give me a solid comparison between the Hemp & 500e ?? , I would be really interested & grateful .
I'm truly sorry for writing this my friend, you can not possibly differentiate 12hz, 13hz and 14hz in real life listening test, because at that low freq, everything is all about what we feel (the vibration), no longer in human hearing range. If you mention 12khz, 13khz, 14khz, which is in treble area, it's more make sense, but I think you typo up there as you talked about bass response.

Also, sub bass extension (12/13/14hz) have zero correlation with overall bass' character from a speaker or headphone. Extension does not determine bass impact, bass quantity and bass hump. Also, you need to know how Grado exactly measure that 14hz frequency response, how much decibel drop from lets say 100hz (midbass).

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #48,140 of 65,648
Perhaps other members of the Professional Series (PS1000, PS2000) are where to look in the quest for a PS500e with more bass extension, They too share the highs resonated beautifully by an aluminum air chamber that are churned to buttery smoothness by a mahogany driver casing.

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #48,141 of 65,648
Lotta fake Grados out there on ebay....just sayin.
These look 100% ok . Came with very thick 4m grado lead. And the grado adapter.

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #48,142 of 65,648
Where did you find the serial number on the cups? I dont see it on mine.

They definitely call for decent desktop amp, although like most Grados they dont need a ton of power.
I just pushed the rear G cush away a bit and seriel number was on the wood part .

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #48,144 of 65,648
Aha I found it. SN 362 for me. It almost looks like it was handwritten on the cups.
Good to hear it, looks like you also have a low number , and assume like mine you have the matt grey finish. Stick a photo up if get chance .
Mine are 591

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #48,145 of 65,648
Good to hear it, looks like you also have a low number , and assume like mine you have the matt grey finish. Stick a photo up if get chance .
Mine are 591
20210613_152200.jpg

Jul 18, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #48,147 of 65,648
Can you do a pic showing where the rod goes into the plastic gimbal. Mine seem to come up slightly at a angle . Whereas on my other grado it's straight.

Jul 18, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #48,148 of 65,648
Jonquin. Mine ....just been informed this angle is normal and not bent etc ......relieved.

Attachments

• 20210717_105942.jpg
    20210717_105942.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210717_105934.jpg
    20210717_105934.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #48,150 of 65,648
Perhaps other members of the Professional Series (PS1000, PS2000) are where to look in the quest for a PS500e with more bass extension, They too share the highs resonated beautifully by an aluminum air chamber that are churned to buttery smoothness by a mahogany driver casing.
Hi there , I'm trying to find your grado results thread. Csnt find your coloured results anywhere . Looking at the ps1000 , ps1000e, etc. ...any chance of the links . Or have they been removed . Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back