Grado Fan Club!
Jul 18, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #48,151 of 65,647
Posted In the ps1000 impression thread. But here are my ps1000. Matte. Poss 2009 /10 . Number 591 . Don't know any history yet.

Attachments

• 20210718_154757.jpg
    20210718_154757.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210718_154807.jpg
    20210718_154807.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 18, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #48,152 of 65,647
This Man Has Too Many Grados: An ongoing series.

Chapter 1000: Name's Finish. Matte Finish.

These are my Grado PS1000. An early model, S/N 362. Thanks to @funkymartyn for inspiring me to dig these out again.

I bought these last summer on EBay. The seller kept messaging me almost daily asking if they were in yet, and making sure I could be home for the delivery. He was like a nervous parent seeing their child off to college. I got the impression that he needed the money badly, not that he wanted to sell them. Then he messaged me making sure that I had a good enough amp for them, and that I should get a nice wooden box for them to sleep in. Adorable.

Anyway they sound fantastic as you might expect. I queued up George Russell's New York Big Band on my old as dirt laptop with a broken hp jack and an iFi Zen Dec.

I started the album with my Monoprice M1060 closed, and got the levels set. Volume at around 10 I clock, bass boost on. Then I hot swapped the PS1000. Wow. The bass got crazy boomy and the horns were subdued. Is this a V shaped Grado??

*No. It is not*

With the bass boost off, and volume upped to about 1 o'clock the PS1000 sounded magnificent, even from a relatively pedestrian amp like a Zen DAC. Every section of the band was present and balanced. I could hear the drummer ting ting tinging those hi hats as well as I could hear the bass player plucking those strings as well as I could hear the harmonizing of the horn section.

I recommend the Geekria "little g" pads with the PS1000. They're shallower than Grado "Big G" pads which pulls the heavy earcups closer to you and gives a better seal, which makes for an all around better sound. For me at least. Crazy times when a Grado pumps out more bass and less volume than a closed back planar.

20210718_173600.jpg

That tennis ball in the photo is the dog's new favorite toy. Which is also the reason I'm taking them back upstairs to their box now.

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #48,153 of 65,647
This Man Has Too Many Grados: An ongoing series.

Chapter 1000: Name's Finish. Matte Finish.

These are my Grado PS1000. An early model, S/N 362. Thanks to @funkymartyn for inspiring me to dig these out again.

I bought these last summer on EBay. The seller kept messaging me almost daily asking if they were in yet, and making sure I could be home for the delivery. He was like a nervous parent seeing their child off to college. I got the impression that he needed the money badly, not that he wanted to sell them. Then he messaged me making sure that I had a good enough amp for them, and that I should get a nice wooden box for them to sleep in. Adorable.

Anyway they sound fantastic as you might expect. I queued up George Russell's New York Big Band on my old as dirt laptop with a broken hp jack and an iFi Zen Dec.

I started the album with my Monoprice M1060 closed, and got the levels set. Volume at around 10 I clock, bass boost on. Then I hot swapped the PS1000. Wow. The bass got crazy boomy and the horns were subdued. Is this a V shaped Grado??

*No. It is not*

With the bass boost off, and volume upped to about 1 o'clock the PS1000 sounded magnificent, even from a relatively pedestrian amp like a Zen DAC. Every section of the band was present and balanced. I could hear the drummer ting ting tinging those hi hats as well as I could hear the bass player plucking those strings as well as I could hear the harmonizing of the horn section.

I recommend the Geekria "little g" pads with the PS1000. They're shallower than Grado "Big G" pads which pulls the heavy earcups closer to you and gives a better seal, which makes for an all around better sound. For me at least. Crazy times when a Grado pumps out more bass and less volume than a closed back planar.

20210718_173600.jpg

That tennis ball in the photo is the dog's new favorite toy. Which is also the reason I'm taking them back upstairs to their box now.
Hi glad I did some good then. I have my ps1000 on right now , the past 3 hours playing a few cds. George Benson anthology, and Stanley Clarke Modern man & I wanna play fir you . Remastered by BGO . Um what's that popping on the modern man track. Quick remove my amp. No still there , swop headphones for sr125e No still there .......so thankfully its not my headphones. Its the recording . Never noticed before .... Can sleep OK tonight now ....lol

Jul 18, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #48,154 of 65,647
Joaquin glad you mentioned the geek g cush I have a couple of sets . Didn't think about trying them put on my new 1000. Been looking round today at picking up a spare grado g cush at £59 ....... Hardly any out there, in the UK anyway. You may have just saved me some cash lol
Just a thought . You say little G cush ? Assuming you mean the geekria G which are about same size as the grado except a different slope / shape etc

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #48,155 of 65,647
Joaquin glad you mentioned the geek g cush I have a couple of sets . Didn't think about trying them put on my new 1000. Been looking round today at picking up a spare grado g cush at £59 ....... Hardly any out there, in the UK anyway. You may have just saved me some cash lol
Just a thought . You say little G cush ? Assuming you mean the geekria G which are about same size as the grado except a different slope / shape etc
Correct. "Little G" is just my nickname for them because they're shallower. They're the normal Geekria version of G pads.

Jul 19, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #48,156 of 65,647
Hi there , I'm trying to find your grado results thread. Csnt find your coloured results anywhere . Looking at the ps1000 , ps1000e, etc. ...any chance of the links . Or have they been removed . Cheers
The links are my signature. Thanks!

One of the colored results are two way comparisons, duplicated here. At the intersection of a red column and a blue row, the position of my preferred headphone (whether it is the one in the column header or the two header) is given by the color of the box (red for column, blue for row) or dot. A block indicates a strong preference; a dot is a more modest preference. More comparisons on various aspects (sound stage, bass, treble clarity) are given in the postings at the links in my signature.

1626667371607.png

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #48,157 of 65,647
After a bit more time with the GS3000e a few more thoughts:
  • Imaging is damn near perfect, coupled with the sound that comes from them they are just beautiful to listen to. Live albums really sound like you're at a concert.
  • They don't treat poorly recorded albums well, not a fault (similar to the HD800S), but some albums are nearly unlistenable. Hemp/GW100/GH2 would be my go-to Grado for these ones as they are more forgiving.
  • Even though you can drive them from anything (I've been using a XLR 4 to 4.4 and driving from my walkman a bit) they certainly go to the next level from my TA-ZH1ES. Will be interesting to try my Topping A90/D90SE combo with these when it arrives
  • They really excel with female vocal's, I've never heard a headphone or speaker sound so good. Coupled with an acoustic guitar and you're in heaven.
  • Anyone want to buy a Focal Clear or HD800S...? :p

Jul 19, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #48,158 of 65,647
The links are my signature. Thanks!

One of the colored results are two way comparisons, duplicated here. At the intersection of a red column and a blue row, the position of my preferred headphone (whether it is the one in the column header or the two header) is given by the color of the box (red for column, blue for row) or dot. A block indicates a strong preference; a dot is a more modest preference. More comparisons on various aspects (sound stage, bass, treble clarity) are given in the postings at the links in my signature.

1626667371607.png
Having difficulty in finding all the info like best of 3 clicked your link , which goes to info. Then click say the ps500e. Ps1000, then it goes into a thread but no pics.

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #48,159 of 65,647
Yes, I noticed that some of the pics have fallen away, most likely when they moved the head-fi.org to another host. So sorry!

Jul 21, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #48,161 of 65,647
I just noticed that over at 4OurEars, both the RS1e and the RS2e are sold out.

Perhaps business is just doing well and they can’t keep up with demand, or perhaps this means the X series is right around the corner.

After all, this is what we saw happen before the Prestige line update and before the Hemp got their cable update.

Jul 21, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #48,162 of 65,647
hope they will come with more wireless cans. GW100 V3 ?

Jul 21, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #48,163 of 65,647
Perhaps business is just doing well and they can’t keep up with demand, or perhaps this means the X series is right around the corner.
Not sure my wallet can afford an RS2x right now lol

Jul 21, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #48,164 of 65,647
Got my replacement 325x’s today. Photo of the gang:

53573982-F911-443B-956A-4985E4B0D279.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back