GRADO PS1 VS PS1000 -------WHEN THE DRADON MEET THE TIGER
Apr 26, 2010 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ATHFANe

New Head-Fier
First I want to say ,in all the dynamic HPs,The king is not SONY R10 ,The King is GRADO PS1

The most difference between PS1 and PS1000 are the balance of the sound.
I feel PS1000 like USA sound ,PS1 like german sound with some feel of USA.
PS1 are specially made for german and it only been 2XX, even less than Opheus!

the best of PS1 is it's sound balance.
you will feel PS1000 a bit like GS1000,PS1000's has too much bass,and it's high and nid range are too sharp and bright.Compare with it ,PS1 has more quick BASS,and not much bass than PS1000,but deeper than PS1000!So PS1's sounfd quality is better than PS1000.

After listen to the PS1,I put PS1000 on ,I found some foggy,to say in another word ,PS1is more clear than ps1000.EVEN IF PS1000 IS A BIT CLEAR than HD800 and T1.

PS1000's sound stage is larger than PS1

In listening violin and piano I feel PS1 very fast and clear ,PS1000 has a bit dull under midranger
I feel that PS1is better than R10,PS1000,K1000,HD800,T1,ED9,L3000 。if i can only own one HP,I will choose PS1,its more balance than R10.in female vocal ,R10 will give you a sharp highrange.and R10's midrange have less dense than PS1.R10'S bass also has less impact than PS1!
I think PS1 is the king in all the dynamic headphones.

becase HEAD-FI only let 10 pictures more LARGE pictures in my blog:http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_40f078a90100ihoa.html

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #2 of 14
Thanks for the impressions...and your pictures are always amusing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 14
I love how the Jumbo Grados make anyone look like Princess Leia

Apr 26, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 14
Are PS1000 were well burned? I truly believe if you use the same set up for these two, but well matched with PS1000 in the first place, you may change your mind, cos PS1 can sound pretty good from out of portable player only.

I have to listen to PS1000 one day, pity they are so expensive up here, so nobody near my home have them hanging as demo.

Just wondering how many were sold so far, anyone? John?
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks for your impressions.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 14
I agree with your impressions on the PS1000s. The midrange is sucked out with piercing highs. You've laid out a few bold statements regarding the PS1s. Have you had the chance to audition the Grado HP-1000 series? There's a few who prefer the HP-1000 over the PS1s.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for the impression!! This guy have boat load of exotic headphones!! So jealous
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 14
If you can read Chinese, do take a look at his blog. There is a very detailed write up about PS1, PS1000 and other high end phones.
Thanks for sharing that with us!

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the impression!! This guy have boat load of exotic headphones!! So jealous
smily_headphones1.gif

Exactly what i was thinking!! Even though i have cut back on headphones.. Seeing these makes me wanna stay in the game
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 14
I am also have PS-1000 and then just got PS-1 as well , since I was trying both of them , first I agree with you that PS-1000 they are too sharp for their mid range but between that I removed the jumbo pads and switch them to replace on PS-1 , yes I found out that PS-1 with jumbo pads were produce those mid range become too sharp like PS-1000 too, but PS-1 with jumbo pad have got more larger sound stage than original bowl pads,but all impact is gone,  same thing same result with PS-1000 with original bowl pads from PS-1 ,yes their sound more close to PS-1. 

so , now I think what made them become more different between PS-1 and PS-1000 ,it's not driver but it's all about from the pads, like more impact but lost sound stage as PS-1 ,or larger stage but lost impact as PS1000 those all depend on bowl pads or jumbo pads.
from the jumbo pads that can bring you a larger stage but push the impact away from your ears with more distance from the driver to ears plus all mid range become too sharper than it should be . 

It would be perfect for both of them , if Grado make the middle size for their headphones pads like between bowl and jumbo .

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
I am also have PS-1000 and then just got PS-1 as well , since I was trying both of them , first I agree with you that PS-1000 they are too sharp for their mid range but between that I removed the jumbo pads and switch them to replace on PS-1 , yes I found out that PS-1 with jumbo pads were produce those mid range become too sharp like PS-1000 too, but PS-1 with jumbo pad have got more larger sound stage than original bowl pads,but all impact is gone,  same thing same result with PS-1000 with original bowl pads from PS-1 ,yes their sound more close to PS-1. 

so , now I think what made them become more different between PS-1 and PS-1000 ,it's not driver but it's all about from the pads, like more impact but lost sound stage as PS-1 ,or larger stage but lost impact as PS1000 those all depend on bowl pads or jumbo pads.
from the jumbo pads that can bring you a larger stage but push the impact away from your ears with more distance from the driver to ears plus all mid range become too sharper than it should be . 

It would be perfect for both of them , if Grado make the middle size for their headphones pads like between bowl and jumbo .

I also think that for all Grados pads plays a predominant part in obtaining a good sound out (I call it the focal point) of the actual headphone and drivers.

The thing is that, past the Prestige Series people want to listen to their Grado the way they were "intended". People mostly listen to their RS1 and PS1 with bowls, GS1000 and PS1000 with bagels, HP1000 and pink drivers with flats... but none of these are really, effectively and optimally bringing you the best of your headphone.

The truth is that none of the pads were specifically built for any Grados model more than any other in particular. I have read somewhere on Head-Fi (I think the interview of John Grado Zanth did) that the flats --> bowls upgrade is mainly just a comfort one.

Two golden rules: ear-driver distance is proportional to sound stage and to loss of the bass reverberation.

But there are ways to keep the bass from fleeing by the sides... of course these ways are never as elegant as is your higher end Grado stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back