Grado Fan Club!
Oct 6, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #43,351 of 65,571
RS2e arrived today. I compared quickly with the Hemp, but these are just first impressions.
- the G pad is not a good match on either of these phones
- the stock Grado pad is better on the RS2e as the beautiful audio leather pads
- RS2e has more treble, but not in a distribing way. Actually - because of the clearer highs it is less congested as the Hemp.
- Bass and dynamics on the RS2e are also really good*
- the Hemp is definitely more sensitive

Both cans are driven balanced from my Pathos InPol Ear. I thought it is an overkill for the Grado (10W/32Ohm), but who knows? The whole system sound just sublime as it is.

* The thing is, I have small ears. Which means even with the RS2e stock pad - my ears almost fit in. There is actually a sweet spot for the Grado (it's the same with Hemp). A bit further back pushed the midrange opens up even more, quite easy to hear. Now, in this position - and because I have small ears - my ears are snugging almost completly in the pad. Which means they are almost touching the driver > similar distance as with the F cushion. Very close. Now, at the front there is a bit more space as opposed to using the "F". That sits flat on the ear. In the end because of my small ears I get the same bass on the RS2e with the stock pad as with the Hemp. Just more space. I tried the RS2e pads on the Hemp, same. Bass, slam, dynamics remain, but more space.

As a first impression I like the RS2e more and I am glad I bought them :)

I'm glad you finally got it.

More pics!!!

Oct 6, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #43,352 of 65,571
I'm glad you finally got it.

More pics!!!

Thanks! Yesterday it was more then 700km away according to the tracking and then suddenly itt arrived today.

Forgot to mention, that the Hemp “F” pads are too loose on the RS2e. They almost fall off, definitely not secure enough to use them.

As for pics...it’s past 10 p.m.here and I listen to music by dim light...but anyway :)

9838ABD9-0F72-4B7D-9F9D-138DF2971186.jpeg

Oct 6, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #43,353 of 65,571
Thanks! Yesterday it was more then 700km away according to the tracking and then suddenly itt arrived today.

Forgot to mention, that the Hemp “F” pads are too loose on the RS2e. They almost fall off, definitely not secure enough to use them.

As for pics...it’s past 10 p.m.here and I listen to music by dim light...but anyway :)

9838ABD9-0F72-4B7D-9F9D-138DF2971186.jpeg

Very nice.

Can I ask what sort of hifi system you're running in the background there?

Oct 6, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #43,354 of 65,571
Very nice.

Can I ask what sort of hifi system you're running in the background there?

I posted a picture from the whole system on page 2860 :)

Oct 7, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #43,355 of 65,571
I posted a picture from the whole system on page 2860 :)

Awesome. Honestly, I was hoping that it would be that type of system.

The reason I am so drawn to Grado headphones is because they remind me of my old hifi system that I had to sell because I moved countries.

That whole system was based around a Garrard 301, but it was always SET amps and high efficiency speakers from Zu Audio, then a big pair of Altec 604s, and of course, my beloved Quad ESL-57s.

The Grado's have come the closest to reproducing that sound - with the same dynamics, texture and tone that you can only get from that kind of system.

Headphones never seem to go in that direction - I think because so many headphone listeners are obsessed with measurements and gauging quality from a graph zzzz

Oct 7, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #43,356 of 65,571
Well, I had before the Wolf von Langa speakers Avantgarde, Rethm, Audio Note “E”...all high sensitivity designs. Because they are more immidiate, alive and dynamic in sound. Those watt hungry complex ones...the music can not escape from them (to my ears).

Actually I bought my first Grado in part because of this:

Thats, and because I can sell the Hemp if I don’t like it. But...I liked it a lot.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #43,358 of 65,571
Hello all :) Is it worth the upgrade from the sr325e to the PS500e? If yes in what way? Thanks

I think the PS500e is not an upgrade for the SR325e but a bonus. You can have both and be happy. The 500e has a way more calmer and compact sound compared to the SRs. It still sounds very much like a Grado but toned down to "normal" levels. So someone who is not used to the Grado sound probably wouldn't mind the 500e, mostly because of the less intensive highs. I like my 500e very much. It's especially nice for rock music which can be a little overwhelming with an SR (all a matter of taste, i know!).

(But you could as well try out other pads/cushions to get that "calmed down" effect before you invest in a new headphone)

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #43,360 of 65,571
A shop near me has both in stock ( PS500e and Sr325e). I already have the SR80e which i really like. What are the pros and cons of G-Cushions on SR325e? Just as a FYi i listen to mainly orhcestral music and jazz.

For classic and jazz i'd probably get the RS2e and not the PS500e. But i guess you should just try it out at your local store and see what you like better with your favorite music.

From what i have read on here and by my own experiments with g-cushions i think most Grados are best with the cushion they came with. Generally you get more soundstage and an overall thinner sound (especially in lows and mids) with g-cushions. But don't take my word for it and try it out.

Please note that if you try out headphones at the store that they might not be burnt in enough and might not sound their best.

Oct 7, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #43,361 of 65,571
A shop near me has both in stock ( PS500e and Sr325e). I already have the SR80e which i really like. What are the pros and cons of G-Cushions on SR325e? Just as a FYi i listen to mainly orhcestral music and jazz.
For orchestral music especially, you might find you prefer the G cushions. Those huge earcups fill up with sound for a cool effect. For rock I prefer the regular cushions and their in your face energy.

Its a pretty low cost, low risk experiment to try some out.

Oct 7, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #43,362 of 65,571
Hemp Review

20201007_192439.jpg

All prices are in Canadian retail price because I don't feel like looking up the American price for everything. The Hemp in Canada is $600. Sorry if you were hoping for a weed joke.

BUILD
  • Weighs 240g without cable. As a comparison... SR80e: 230g; GS2000e: 270g; GS3000e: 330g; SR325e: 350g; PS1000e: 500g
  • Wooden cups seem smaller than the RS2e. 80% of it is hemp, while the last 20% facing the ear is maple.
  • The engraving on the medallions was sharp.
  • 8-conductor cable had a few creases out of the box.
  • Headband is good. Other brands may look nicer, but they're made of plastic or non-malleable metal. Grado headbands may be finely adjusted through bending, which is great because heads aren't entirely symmetrical. When someone complains about this, they just don't get it.
  • Visible glue marks on the plastic edge of the driver, where it's attached to the wooden cup. This is different than other wooden models, which have a small gap between the edge and the wood, and no visible glue.
TEST SETUP
  • Source: PC 24/192 PCM Realtek optical out -> Hosa Pro 5ft optical cable [$30] -> Topping D90 DAC (Filter 1) [$920] -> Monoprice Premier 1.5ft XLR cable [$8]. I'm using optical input because my Topping D90's USB input blew up.
  • Amplifier: iFi Pro iCAN [$2500], solid state mode, gain 9dB. ASP EQ: XBass 10Hz, 3D 90/60+.
  • Hemp tested via 1/4" adapter. This is better than using the Pro iCAN's 1/8" out, which has automatic IEMatch.

PAD ROLLING

With 7 different pads at my disposal, all with their own characteristics, it's time to listen away! I'll list 3 criteria: bass, treble, and full, on a scale of -5 to +5. 0 is ideal for my taste, so the closer to 0, the better, but note that 0 isn't necessarily perfect. Shifting from 0 leans toward too little or too much. Full is my subjective opinion on how thin or how veiled the overall sound is. All tests were done with no EQ and no ASP from my Pro iCAN. (We'll cover EQ results later.)

Grado F (stock)
Bass: +3
Treble: -4
Full: +5

Yuck. This is so veiled! It amazes me that people prefer this sound signature. I'm reminded of the Audio-Technica M50x, but I think even the M50x was brighter than this. This is the sound signature for people who typically hate Grado. To me, the stock Hemp sounded so poor at the shop that I almost didn't buy it at all. The SR60e sounds better than this.

Grado S ($15)
Bass: +2
Treble: -2
Full: +3

Even though these pads cover the driver, it's somehow less veiled than the Grado F. There's still a bit of a significant veil, though. However, for me, the Grado S had a more agreeable sound. Treble is still reduced, though it doesn't feel like there's a canyon of missing treble.

Grado L ($30)
Bass: -1
Treble: -1
Full: +1

Yikes, the foam is so coarse and rough. But with these, the Hemp actually sounds like a Grado. The drivers are still tuned a bit dark, though, and it's no longer a bassy headphone. It sounds like a less resolving RS2e or GH4. Not bad, but they're about to be beaten hard by...

Geekria L ($18)
Bass: 0
Treble: +1
Full: 0

WOW! This was an absolute shocker. Not only is the Geekria L cheaper than the Grado L, it sounds better, and has softer foam! This is the only Geekria pad with two foam densities. But it's not an exact knockoff: the diameter of the Grado L pad is 75mm, while the diameter of the Geekria L is 80mm. It somehow makes a huge difference. This is the best pad for the Hemp unless you are super treble sensitive, and if you own one, you should go on Amazon now and order a pair. Now I'm curious as to how the Geekria L performs on other Grados! Here, I'll give you the link: [ .com, .ca ]

Geekria "LL" ($17)
Bass: +2
Treble: -1
Full: +2

These are interesting in that they have no official equivalent. They have almost the same thickness as the L pads, but are one density, and the tapering is steep, so everything sounds closer. The bass is quite prominent and leaks into the mids, but because the driver is exposed and a little further away, it's not as veiled as the Grado F or S. I would say that if you actually enjoy the Grado F sound signature, try these, as I think the slight bass loss is worth the extra clarity. And it's more comfortable, too!

Grado G ($70)
Bass: -2
Treble: +3
Full: -1

Eep, that's expensive! Well, they are the most comfortable pads of the bunch. Putting these on gives a vast soundstage, but introduces the much-maligned 5k-6k treble spike. However, it's not as nasty as the GS2000e. This is the EQers pad, as using this pad to EQ will allow a wider range of tweaking than with the other pads.

Geekria G ($19)
Bass: +3
Treble: -2
Full: +4

Unlike the Geekria L, which is a superior version of the Grado L, the Geekria G is rather disappointing. It's only one foam density, and the tapering isn't as steep. The Grado G has 0.3mm of foam from the driver until it starts tapering, while the Geekria G starts at 0.8mm, forming a tunnel. This causes more bass to be forced through, causing this to be just as bassy as the Grado F. Without the soundstage of the Grado G, this feels more like a super-sized Geekria LL. Note that when I briefly owned the Beautiful Audio G pads, they were constructed in a similar manner with a prominent "tunnel", and they sounded similar to this.

Ranking: Geekria L > Grado L > Geekria "LL" > Grado G > Grado S > Geekria G > Grado F

VS GH4 ($750)

I don't own the GH4, so this is off memory when I was comparing the Hemp/GH4/RS2e/RS1e/PS500e together at the shop. (I felt the GH4 won that shootout, which is why I'm only comparing the Hemp to it.) I think the GH4 with Grado L pads is still better than the Hemp with Geekria L pads due to the slightly extra sparkle and clarity. The Hemp isn't a giant killer, so I'll maintain that if you can afford the RS2e ($700), spend $50 extra and get the GH4. The GH4 I feel is the ultimate refinement of the traditional Grado house sound, but won't pierce your ears with treble like the non-EQ Statement models. The GH4 also has a larger wooden cup than the Hemp, RS2e, and even the RS1e. The GH4 is getting hard to find, but I'd take it over the Hemp because it doesn't cost that much more. You can always muffle the brighter GH4 sound with different pads, but you can't make the Hemp as clear as the GH4 without EQ.

VS GS3000e ($2500)

This doesn't seem like a fair comparison given that the GS3000e is more than quadruple the cost, but let's do it anyway. I've always maintained that the GS3000e has Grado's most technical driver that's ripe for EQ, as it has actual sub-bass. As using EQ is best with the Grado G, I didn't attempt EQ with any other pad, as other pads trade some comfort for a non-EQ sound tweak. After a few days of tweaking, as well as using my amp's ASP settings (XBass 10hz, 3D 90/60+), I could EQ the Hemp to sound shockingly close to the GS3000e. The GS3000e still had significantly better bass extension and visceral impact, and flexes its resolving capability with many instruments at once, but if I had to put a percentage on it, I think my EQ'd Hemp is about 70% as good as my EQ'd GS3000e, and is better than the stock GS3000e. For less than one-quarter the price, that's incredible.

• BONUS - GS3000e with Geekria L, no EQ: This is really nice! It's a better match for the GS3000e than the Grado G if you don't intend to EQ, and is noticeably clearer than the Hemp with Geekria L. This all but confirms that the Grado G adds the 5k-6k treble spike to every model, no matter what the tuning is, so it's inherently a flawed pad that must be corrected with EQ. Whoever designed the Geekria L should get a raise, because now I suspect it's better than the Grado L on every single model.
CONCLUSION

Well, that was fun. I'll probably still eventually sell it, as the GS3000e remains my daily driver. But I now understand the hype for this headphone and why there was so much praise for it. It was squarely targeted at those who wouldn't have otherwise bought Grado. At stock, I think the Hemp sounds terrible, which is a dissenting opinion compared to others who have reviewed it. But with a bit of pad rolling, you can still transform this to sound Grado-ish, but without the aggressive treble. Hopefully this gives you a bit of insight, as most reviewers don't entertain the idea of pad rolling at all. What would've been a scathing review turned out much differently.

I think a 3.5 out of 5 is appropriate, because I'd give the GH4 and GS3000e a 4/5. (The GS3000e is awesome but it's a flawed model with a wonky stock tuning.)

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #43,363 of 65,571

I currently have the Hemp, the GS2000e and the GS3000e all plugged into my amp at the same time. This will be fun... and yes, the GS2000e undergoes a huge transformation with the F pads. It's no longer a treble cannon!

They look so nestled and comfy together as you have them. Good listens all. Enjoy............

Oct 8, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #43,364 of 65,571
Since HF2 and GS2000e arrived, everything else has fallen out of the rotation. New happy place...

Rolled Grado g cush back onto HF2, and love the punch, clarity and air with much of my musics, even relatively bass heavy lists, Michael Manring, Tony Levin, Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clark.

I rolled several tube sets, ending with 6N3P-DR in Mjolnir2, and their fairly clinical quality does well with the Grados, fed by a warmish OG Gumby.

I wonder how Grados do with the latest Modius/Magnius stack from Schiit.

Not the raw simplicity of an RA1, but still chippy in nature, vs elaborate, discrete topologies like Mjolnir, Lyr, Jot, Asgard, Valhalla.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back