Grado Fan Club!
Oct 3, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #43,321 of 65,659
Today I visited my local dealer for a Kef ls50 Meta/Wireless 2 demo. (Great speaker)

When I walked into the store I saw the Grado Hemp. I was disappointed about the quality of the wood. It did feel kind of rough and the looks weren't that great. Especially compared to the 325e and ps500 hanging next to it.
Did you give it a try ?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #43,323 of 65,659
Just came back from the shop. The Hemp is now officially available in Canada! I now own one! Pics and impressions will come later.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #43,324 of 65,659
Initial impressions: I'll try to be careful with how I phrase things, as some people may have their purchasing decisions influenced by what I put down.

My initial impression at the shop was that the Hemp was awful. The demo setup had a "midrange" row of GH4/RS1e/PS500e and Hemp together. The GH4 was the best of the bunch, while the Hemp to me sounded the worst by far. Against the "Prestige Series" row, I thought the Hemp sounded worse than the SR60e. I would take my $40 KSC35 over the Hemp. There's no treble energy at all, and it's almost as if Grado made a headphone with the "Sennheiser veil". It was indeed a Grado for people who don't like Grado. I thought maybe that's why there's been so much praise for it.

So why did I end up buying it? First off, it's in high demand, so if needed, I could sell it off quickly and recoup most, if not all of my money. Second, I asked the shop if I could try the Hemp with G pads. Contrary to what some people reported, I felt the G pads on the Hemp made it significantly better. I couldn't say if they were better than the GH4, as I didn't have time to put the G pads on the GH4 for an apples-to-apples comparison. Based on the hopeful quick impression with the G pad, I bought it, hoping that I could EQ down the apparent treble spike that was added with the G pads.

I'm now about 20 minutes into listening on the Hemp with G pads on my own rig. Hm... this is strange. On my rig, the the treble sizzle is more prominent. I'm not a huge believer in headphone burn-in, but maybe the headphone needs a bit of time to settle? I also hear a bit of a mids suckout as johanchandy reported when he tried the G pads with the Hemp.

Full review will come in a few days. I feel that ultimately I will give the Hemp a positive review, but I'm not sure if it's a giant killer, as right now I'd recommend the GH4 over it, if you can still find one.

Oct 4, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #43,325 of 65,659
And that's why I bought the RS2e. I am curious about how far it is the Hemp from the Grado house sound. Do I like the Hemp and only the Hemp? It is definitely better as my modded SR225e for sure. I haven't gave too much time to the SR225e but they seem to be fun. Altough they are not as smooth as the Hemp and I don't know if I could live with them as "the phone for music".

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #43,326 of 65,659
I am curious about how far it is the Hemp from the Grado house sound.

Here's my over-generalized hot take: For someone who likes a Prestige model, I don't think the Hemp is the ideal upgrade path. It's a radical departure from the Grado house sound, and reminds me of the RS1e, but at 60% of the RS1e's price. The Hemp/RS1e is the darker flavor path. The RS2e/GH4 is the refinement path. The GS2000e is the extreme conclusion with gobs of treble in your face. The GS3000e/PS2000e use a different driver and has a tuning somewhere between the RS2e/GH4 and GS2000e.

Oct 4, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #43,327 of 65,659
Here's my over-generalized hot take: For someone who likes a Prestige model, I don't think the Hemp is the ideal upgrade path. It's a radical departure from the Grado house sound, and reminds me of the RS1e, but at 60% of the RS1e's price. The Hemp/RS1e is the darker flavor path. The RS2e/GH4 is the refinement path. The GS2000e is the extreme conclusion with gobs of treble in your face. The GS3000e/PS2000e use a different driver and has a tuning somewhere between the RS2e/GH4 and GS2000e.

Could we compile a list or table with different headphone traits so people get a hint to how a certain Grado will sound compared to others?

Traits could be something like sub bass, bass, lower mids, higher mids, treble, soundstage... maybe add how the different cushions would change the sound.

It would be quite some work to create such a table but hey we're talking about Grados here all day long anyway?

Oct 4, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #43,328 of 65,659
Could we compile a list or table with different headphone traits so people get a hint to how a certain Grado will sound compared to others?

Traits could be something like sub bass, bass, lower mids, higher mids, treble, soundstage... maybe add how the different cushions would change the sound.

It would be quite some work to create such a table but hey we're talking about Grados here all day long anyway?

Do you know this?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...ur-own-comparisons-here-thanks-giogio.808325/

Oct 4, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #43,330 of 65,659
Today I visited my local dealer for a Kef ls50 Meta/Wireless 2 demo. (Great speaker)

When I walked into the store I saw the Grado Hemp. I was disappointed about the quality of the wood. It did feel kind of rough and the looks weren't that great. Especially compared to the 325e and ps500 hanging next to it.
I'll agree with you that The Hemp doesn't have the radiant beauty of Cocobolo or Mahogony. Its more of a utilitarian aesthetic. Love the sound tho :)

Oct 4, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #43,332 of 65,659
The Hemp might have an “utilitarian aesthetic” Joaquin but it begs the proverbial question : how does it do with guitars ? :k701smile:
Y'know I think I read something about that, somewhere earlier in the thread. Can't remember that guy's name . . . :wink:

Oct 4, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #43,333 of 65,659
Just to add my opinion that the Hemp just like any Grado I have tried (many) needs some burn in before you really hear what it sounds like. Minimum IMHO is over 50 hours and prefer to recommend 100 hours. Yes, the Hemp is taking a side road sound wise but I think more people will enjoy the departure and add to it's desirability. I like mine quite a lot now that it has a good amount of play time on it. And yes, it will not be for everyone but that is the case with every single headphone I have ever heard or owned, it is still a very personal decision. As said, that applies to every headphone you may listen to. To hear a demo on any brand or model of headphone that does not have sufficient playtime regardless of price range will not be a true test. Right now I have been breaking in a brand new Meze Empyrean and at first I would have just put them down as not for me in any way. Now a week later and a minimum of over 12 hours a day playing it is totally different and a world better. My Sony MDR-ZR1 has over 300 hours on it and it continues to improve sonically.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #43,334 of 65,659
I'll agree with you that The Hemp doesn't have the radiant beauty of Cocobolo or Mahogony. Its more of a utilitarian aesthetic. Love the sound tho :)

I think it is a beautiful looking model. It is light and it feels good to the touch (the surface is very smooth).

I also thought it sounded as good as the RS2e. Two thumbs up, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #43,335 of 65,659
Yes, the Hemp is taking a side road sound wise but I think more people will enjoy the departure and add to it's desirability. I like mine quite a lot now that it has a good amount of play time on it.

I just don't hear this great departure you and Gippy are talking about.

And yes, it will not be for everyone

It is for anyone who likes Grado, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back