Grado Fan Club!
Oct 4, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #43,336 of 65,662
Just to add my opinion that the Hemp just like any Grado I have tried (many) needs some burn in before you really hear what it sounds like.

Yeah that's why I'm going to give it a week before I post my full review. Don't worry, I think it'll be a positive one :relaxed:

I just don't hear this great departure you and Gippy are talking about.

There's a massive drop between 5k-6k which is partly due to the pads. The higher-end models are completely the opposite: they have a spike in that range, especially the ones with G pads. Compared side by side, this results in almost a 20dB swing, a jarring difference. It's as though Grado heard the buzz about their headphones being treble monsters and designed a headphone at the other end of the spectrum. Which is smart, because now they're getting sales from those who would've otherwise avoided this model, while those who are more into the traditional sound signature have plenty of other models to choose from.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #43,337 of 65,662
There's a massive drop between 5k-6k which is partly due to the pads.

Interesting. I wish that same site had some FR graphs for other Grados (measured by the same process). That would be enlightening for this topic. Similarly to elvergun, I dont hear some sharp distinction with The Hemps either, but I'd believe it if the measurements said that was the case.

What would someone listen to in order to notice a treble dip like that ? I don't really know what different frequencies actually sound like ---- to me there's bass, and there's above the bass.

Oct 4, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #43,338 of 65,662
There's a massive drop between 5k-6k which is partly due to the pads. The higher-end models are completely the opposite: they have a spike in that range, especially the ones with G pads. Compared side by side, this results in almost a 20dB swing, a jarring difference. It's as though Grado heard the buzz about their headphones being treble monsters and designed a headphone at the other end of the spectrum. Which is smart, because now they're getting sales from those who would've otherwise avoided this model, while those who are more into the traditional sound signature have plenty of other models to choose from.

I didn't hear that massive drop...then again, I hate the F pads, so I took them off as soon as I got the Hemp. I didn't hear a massive drop with L or G pads. I compared the Hemp to the RS2e, and while I could hear a difference in the highs, it was not a jarring difference (using L pads).

I returned my Hemp because it was very similar to my RS2e, not because Grado took a totally different approach with this new model. I'm not saying that they sound identical though. I hear a bigger difference in signature between the GH2 and the RS2 (enough of a difference that I might keep both).

Oct 4, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #43,339 of 65,662
My personal 6k torture test track is Radiorama - Let Me Be. The piercing hi-hat makes this impossible to enjoy on the GS2000e. But on the Hemp, the hi-hat is almost muted.

Oct 4, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #43,340 of 65,662
My personal 6k torture test track is Radiorama - Let Me Be. The piercing hi-hat makes this impossible to enjoy on the GS2000e. But on the Hemp, the hi-hat is almost muted.

Try listening to that song with the GS2000 with F pads...'cause it is Sunday and we've got nothing better to do. :smile_phones:

Oct 4, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #43,341 of 65,662
20201004_122843[1].jpg

I currently have the Hemp, the GS2000e and the GS3000e all plugged into my amp at the same time. This will be fun... and yes, the GS2000e undergoes a huge transformation with the F pads. It's no longer a treble cannon!

Oct 4, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #43,342 of 65,662
I didn't hear that massive drop...then again, I hate the F pads, so I took them off as soon as I got the Hemp. I didn't hear a massive drop with L or G pads. I compared the Hemp to the RS2e, and while I could hear a difference in the highs, it was not a jarring difference (using L pads).

I returned my Hemp because it was very similar to my RS2e, not because Grado took a totally different approach with this new model. I'm not saying that they sound identical though. I hear a bigger difference in signature between the GH2 and the RS2 (enough of a difference that I might keep both).
Is it possible for you to put some words of the difference between gh2 and hemp? (I have the former and just ordered the latter - but just curious)

Oct 4, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #43,343 of 65,662
I think it is a beautiful looking model. It is light and it feels good to the touch (the surface is very smooth).

I also thought it sounded as good as the RS2e. Two thumbs up, in my opinion.

Could you be more specific on how Hemp sounds as good as RS2e? Maybe I missed your comparison earlier in thread - there is a lot of junk to filter...

Initial impressions: I'll try to be careful with how I phrase things, as some people may have their purchasing decisions influenced by what I put down.

My initial impression at the shop was that the Hemp was awful. The demo setup had a "midrange" row of GH4/RS1e/PS500e and Hemp together. The GH4 was the best of the bunch, while the Hemp to me sounded the worst by far. Against the "Prestige Series" row, I thought the Hemp sounded worse than the SR60e. I would take my $40 KSC35 over the Hemp. There's no treble energy at all, and it's almost as if Grado made a headphone with the "Sennheiser veil". It was indeed a Grado for people who don't like Grado. I thought maybe that's why there's been so much praise for it.

So why did I end up buying it? First off, it's in high demand, so if needed, I could sell it off quickly and recoup most, if not all of my money. Second, I asked the shop if I could try the Hemp with G pads. Contrary to what some people reported, I felt the G pads on the Hemp made it significantly better. I couldn't say if they were better than the GH4, as I didn't have time to put the G pads on the GH4 for an apples-to-apples comparison. Based on the hopeful quick impression with the G pad, I bought it, hoping that I could EQ down the apparent treble spike that was added with the G pads.

I'm now about 20 minutes into listening on the Hemp with G pads on my own rig. Hm... this is strange. On my rig, the the treble sizzle is more prominent. I'm not a huge believer in headphone burn-in, but maybe the headphone needs a bit of time to settle? I also hear a bit of a mids suckout as johanchandy reported when he tried the G pads with the Hemp.

Full review will come in a few days. I feel that ultimately I will give the Hemp a positive review, but I'm not sure if it's a giant killer, as right now I'd recommend the GH4 over it, if you can still find one.

Perhaps with more treble on your home rig the stock pads may be better appreciated, or any of the other less extreme than G-pads.

Oct 4, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #43,344 of 65,662
Is it possible for you to put some words of the difference between gh2 and hemp? (I have the former and just ordered the latter - but just curious)

The highs of the Hemp and the GH2 are more similar to each other than to the RS2e. The RS2e is a little brighter...the highs are more extended. The Hemp's highs fall somewhere in between those of the GH2 and the RS2e. I don't have the Hemp with me anymore, but I remember thinking that the bass was almost identical to the RS2e's (after the Hemp had some break in time). The GH2 has more mid-bass, while the RS2e has more sub-bass. Mids are about the same on all three models. The differences are not night and day in quantity. I used L pads (I have multiple original L pads with me) when comparing these models. The differences became closer to night and day when I compared headphones with L and with G pads.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #43,345 of 65,662
I have an earlier Lyr, (not the Lyr3) which I found it to work quite nicely with all the Grados that I tried. It is fairly powerful, have not run into any noise issues. If you wanted me to try a particular Grado let me know and if I have it I will try it. I currently have the following model Grados at home: SR60e, GH3, Hemp, RS2, GH1, GH2, PS500e, RS1 vintage, GS2000e, GS3000e, PS2000e.

Wow, I really envy your mint grade old buttoned RS1.
I don't know if anyone can sell me the old mint grade buttoned RS1.

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #43,346 of 65,662
20201005_140838.jpg

20201005_140751.jpg

Wasn't using my PS500E headphones much these days so decided to build a little vinyl rig in the office.

Oct 6, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #43,348 of 65,662

How come no one has commented on this? I know they don't give much details on them other than ~6hrs a charge and 5-6 recharges with the case, standard 20-20KHz frequency response (probably baseed on the BT protocol if I had to guess). But if they can manage to keep the Grado "house sound" I'm very interested. I'm the first to admit that the GW-100 with the modified S-Pads have a fairly bumpy frequency response, but they are so fun to listen to and portable! I'd love a pair of these for work or traveling!

unknown.png

Oct 6, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #43,349 of 65,662
Any impressions between the GS3000e and GH4?

Don't own a GH4, only demoed it at the shop, so I can't make a direct comparison. But I felt the GH4 was the ultimate refinement of the "standard" Grado sound signature. It had a larger wooden chamber than the RS2e and was only priced $50 USD higher. Anything higher and you're playing with the 50mm drivers which are tuned differently. Going up, the RS1e is difficult to fairly assess because I'd need to sit down, pad swap and demo longer to make a conclusion about that one. (The RS1e is the only 50mm model with stock L pads, thus it sounds very different.) So I felt the GH4 was a safe suggestion for those who like the Prestige models.

As for the Hemp, I've ordered a number of Geekria pads that will arrive in a few days, so I'll be pad rolling to see how it fares.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #43,350 of 65,662
RS2e arrived today. I compared quickly with the Hemp, but these are just first impressions.
- the G pad is not a good match on either of these phones
- the stock Grado pad is better on the RS2e as the beautiful audio leather pads
- RS2e has more treble, but not in a distribing way. Actually - because of the clearer highs it is less congested as the Hemp.
- Bass and dynamics on the RS2e are also really good*
- the Hemp is definitely more sensitive

Both cans are driven balanced from my Pathos InPol Ear. I thought it is an overkill for the Grado (10W/32Ohm), but who knows? The whole system sound just sublime as it is.

* The thing is, I have small ears. Which means even with the RS2e stock pad - my ears almost fit in. There is actually a sweet spot for the Grado (it's the same with Hemp). A bit further back pushed the midrange opens up even more, quite easy to hear. Now, in this position - and because I have small ears - my ears are snugging almost completly in the pad. Which means they are almost touching the driver > similar distance as with the F cushion. Very close. Now, at the front there is a bit more space as opposed to using the "F". That sits flat on the ear. In the end because of my small ears I get the same bass on the RS2e with the stock pad as with the Hemp. Just more space. I tried the RS2e pads on the Hemp, same. Bass, slam, dynamics remain, but more space.

As a first impression I like the RS2e more and I am glad I bought them :)

41930078-B3EB-416D-BC4B-F84C9AE92A11.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back