Grado Fan Club!
Oct 8, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #43,366 of 65,656
Hi! Just bought Grado SR80e, using for about a month now.
Its a better listening experience than my beyerdynamic dt770 pro but I cant listen to it for 2+ hrs straight due to (i think high end/treble fatigue)

Do you think its worth the upgrade to RS2e if I’m just using it with Spotify? No amps or whatsover
I have no plans on buying headphones amp too. Hehe

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #43,367 of 65,656
Hi! Just bought Grado SR80e, using for about a month now.
Its a better listening experience than my beyerdynamic dt770 pro but I cant listen to it for 2+ hrs straight due to (i think high end/treble fatigue)

Do you think its worth the upgrade to RS2e if I’m just using it with Spotify? No amps or whatsover
I have no plans on buying headphones amp too. Hehe

The RS2e is definitely sounding "rounder" and less fatigueing but you should try to demo it first with your equipment and see if you like what you hear.

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #43,368 of 65,656
2020-10-08 15.27.19.jpg
Look what the cat dragged in! A Nubsound LITTLE BEAR for 99 bucks. A mobile amp with tubes. I just thought i'd give it a try and i can always send it back if i don't like it. My first tests were surprising. Compared to my Oppo HA-2 i got more soundstage, basses with "more flow" and an overall "cozy" listening experience. Only time will tell if i get annoyed or bored by this effect. But now i will burn in that bear a little before i make any more judgments.

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #43,369 of 65,656
Hi! Just bought Grado SR80e ... but I cant listen to it for 2+ hrs straight due to (i think high end/treble fatigue) Do you think its worth the upgrade to RS2e ... No amps or whatsoverI have no plans on buying headphones amp too. Hehe

If you're not going to use an amp, my suggestion is to experiment with pad rolling, as that's one of the best features of a Grado. Try the Geekria G as that's a bassy pad.

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #43,370 of 65,656
20201008_122549[1].jpg

Here's a closer comparison of the Geekria L pad and the Grado L pad. The Geekria L has two faint white glue lines on the side, so it appears that the Geekria L is produced by gluing three pieces of foam together. The Grado L's transition from coarse to soft foam is seamless. The Geekria L has a diameter of 80mm, while the Grado L has a diameter of 75mm. The Geekria L is softer overall, and I preferred it over the Grado L on all four of my Grados (SR225i/Hemp/GS2000e/GS3000e). Amazing.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #43,371 of 65,656
20201008_122549[1].jpg

Here's a closer comparison of the Geekria L pad and the Grado L pad. The Geekria L has two faint white glue lines on the side, so it appears that the Geekria L is produced by gluing three pieces of foam together. The Grado L's transition from coarse to soft foam is seamless. The Geekria L has a diameter of 80mm, while the Grado L has a diameter of 75mm. The Geekria L is softer overall, and I preferred it over the Grado L on all four of my Grados (SR225i/Hemp/GS2000e/GS3000e). Amazing.

I might add that the Geekria L pads i had fell apart when washed with warm soap water while the original Grado pads stayed intact.

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #43,372 of 65,656
Yeah, washing them would certainly loosen the glue and destroy the pad.

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #43,373 of 65,656
20201008_122549[1].jpg

Nice observations.

IME Grado L-pads also have some quality control issues. There are inconsistencies between L-pads where some will have a wider layer of soft or dense foam, or a layer may even be off-angle.

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #43,374 of 65,656
Hi all. I have been using the EarZonk G cushions with my modded 225's and love them. They are a few years old now and are getting a bit degraded. It seems earzonk is no longer made (unless I am wrong). What is the best current similar replacement? Thanks.

Oct 8, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #43,375 of 65,656
Hey guys. I have a pair of Grado PS500e that I like quite a bit but I was curious about the new limited edition Hemp headphones. I've read a few reviews, but was wondering how they compare to the Professional Series (specifically the 500e if anyone has compared). I've wanted a wood-based Grado for a while and the Hemp ones seem like a good option at their cheap-ish price.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #43,376 of 65,656
Hemp Review

20201007_192439.jpg

All prices are in Canadian retail price because I don't feel like looking up the American price for everything. The Hemp in Canada is $600. Sorry if you were hoping for a weed joke.

BUILD

This weighs just 240g. Wooden cups seem smaller than the RS2e. The engraving on the medallions was sharp. No serial number.

PAD ROLLING

With 7 different pads at my disposal, all with their own characteristics, it's time to listen away! I'll list 3 criteria: bass, treble, and full, on a scale of -5 to +5. 0 is ideal for my taste, so the closer to 0, the better, but note that 0 isn't necessarily perfect. Shifting from 0 leans toward too little or too much. Full is my subjective opinion on how thin or how veiled the overall sound is. All tests were done with no EQ and no ASP from my Pro iCAN. (We'll cover EQ results later.)

Grado F (stock)
Bass: +3
Treble: -4
Full: +5

Yuck. This is so veiled! It amazes me that people prefer this sound signature. I'm reminded of the Audio-Technica M50x, but I think even the M50x was brighter than this. This is the sound signature for people who typically hate Grado. To me, the stock Hemp sounded so poor at the shop that I almost didn't buy it at all. The SR60e sounds better than this.

Grado S ($15)
Bass: +2
Treble: -2
Full: +3

Even though these pads cover the driver, it's somehow less veiled than the Grado F. There's still a bit of a significant veil, though. However, for me, the Grado S had a more agreeable sound. Treble is still reduced, though it doesn't feel like there's a canyon of missing treble.

Grado L ($30)
Bass: -1
Treble: -1
Full: +1

Yikes, the foam is so coarse and rough. But with these, the Hemp actually sounds like a Grado. The drivers are still tuned a bit dark, though, and it's no longer a bassy headphone. It sounds like a less resolving RS2e or GH4. Not bad, but they're about to be beaten hard by...

Geekria L ($18)
Bass: 0
Treble: +1
Full: 0

WOW! This was an absolute shocker. Not only is the Geekria L cheaper than the Grado L, it sounds better, and has softer foam! This is the only Geekria pad with two foam densities. But it's not an exact knockoff: the diameter of the Grado L pad is 75mm, while the diameter of the Geekria L is 80mm. It somehow makes a huge difference. This is the best pad for the Hemp unless you are super treble sensitive, and if you own one, you should go on Amazon now and order a pair. Now I'm curious as to how the Geekria L performs on other Grados! Here, I'll give you the link: [ .com, .ca ]

Geekria "LL" ($17)
Bass: +2
Treble: -1
Full: +2

These are interesting in that they have no official equivalent. They have almost the same thickness as the L pads, but are one density, and the tapering is steep, so. The bass is quite prominent and leaks into the mids, but because the driver is exposed and a little further away, it's not as veiled as the Grado F or S. I would say that if you actually enjoy the Grado F sound signature, try these, as I think the slight bass loss is worth the extra clarity. And it's more comfortable, too!

Grado G ($70)
Bass: -2
Treble: +3
Full: -1

Eep, that's expensive! Well, they are the most comfortable pads of the bunch. Putting these on gives a vast soundstage, but introduces the much-maligned 5k-6k treble spike. However, it's not as nasty as the GS2000e. This is the EQers pad, as using this pad to EQ will allow a wider range of tweaking than with the other pads.

Geekria G ($19)
Bass: +3
Treble: -2
Full: +4

Unlike the Geekria L, which is a superior version of the Grado L, the Geekria G is rather disappointing. It's only one foam density, and the tapering isn't as steep. The Grado G has 0.3mm of foam from the driver until it starts tapering, while the Geekria G starts at 0.8mm, forming a tunnel. This causes more bass to be forced through, causing this to be just as bassy as the Grado F. Without the soundstage of the Grado G, this feels more like a super-sized Geekria LL. Note that when I briefly owned the Beautiful Audio G pads, they were constructed in a similar manner with a prominent "tunnel", and they sounded similar to this.

Ranking: Geekria L > Grado L > Geekria "LL" > Grado G > Grado S > Geekria G > Grado F

VS GH4 ($750)

I don't own the GH4, so this is off memory when I was comparing the Hemp/GH4/RS2e/RS1e/PS500e together at the shop. (I felt the GH4 won that shootout, which is why I'm only comparing the Hemp to it.) I think the GH4 with Grado L pads is still better than the Hemp with Geekria L pads due to the slightly extra sparkle and clarity. The Hemp isn't a giant killer, so I'll maintain that if you can afford the RS2e, spend $50 extra and get the GH4. The GH4 I feel is the ultimate refinement of the traditional Grado house sound, but won't pierce your ears with treble like the non-EQ Statement models. The GH4 also has a larger wooden cup than the Hemp, RS2e, and even the RS1e.

VS GS3000e ($2500)

This doesn't seem like a fair comparison given that the GS3000e is more than quadruple the cost, but let's do it anyway. I've always maintained that the GS3000e has Grado's most technical driver that's ripe for EQ, as it has actual sub-bass. As using EQ is best with the Grado G, I didn't attempt EQ with any other pad, as other pads trade some comfort for a non-EQ sound tweak. After a few days of tweaking, as well as using my amp's ASP settings (XBass 10hz, 3D 90/60+), I could EQ the Hemp to sound shockingly close to the GS3000e. The GS3000e still had significantly better bass extension and visceral impact, and flexes its resolving capability with many instruments at once, but if I had to put a percentage on it, I think my EQ'd Hemp is about 70% as good as my EQ'd GS3000e, and is better than the stock GS3000e. For less than one-quarter the price, that's incredible.

• BONUS - GS3000e with Geekria L, no EQ: This is really nice! It's a better match for the GS3000e than the Grado G if you don't intend to EQ, and is noticeably clearer than the Hemp with Geekria L. This all but confirms that the Grado G adds the 5k-6k treble spike to every model, no matter what the tuning is, so it's inherently a flawed pad that must be corrected with EQ. Whoever designed the Geekria L should get a raise, because now I suspect it's better than the Grado L on every single model.

CONCLUSION

Well, that was fun. I'll probably still eventually sell it, as the GS3000e remains my daily driver. But I now understand the hype for this headphone and why there was so much praise for it. It was squarely targeted at those who wouldn't have otherwise bought Grado. But with a bit of pad rolling, you can still transform this to sound Grado-ish, but without the aggressive treble. Hopefully this gives you a bit of insight, as most reviewers don't entertain the idea of pad rolling at all. What would've been a scathing review turned out much differently.
Grado G ($70)
Bass: -2
Treble: +3
Full: -1

Eep, that's expensive! Well, they are the most comfortable pads of the bunch. Putting these on gives a vast soundstage, but introduces the much-maligned 5k-6k treble spike. However, it's not as nasty as the GS2000e. This is the EQers pad, as using this pad to EQ will allow a wider range of tweaking than with the other pads.
Thanks for the nice pad-rolling review:) I am looking forward to receiving the Hemps tomorrow, so will do some comparisons myself. However, I also have the GS2ke so was curious to ask if you tried the Geekria L pads on them too?

Oct 8, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #43,377 of 65,656
Thanks for the nice pad-rolling review:) I am looking forward to receiving the Hemps tomorrow, so will do some comparisons myself. However, I also have the GS2ke so was curious to ask if you tried the Geekria L pads on them too?
FWIW: Just ordered the Geekria L pads for the Hemps to come....also a set for my GH2 or HF3:) It never stops.....

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #43,378 of 65,656
However, I also have the GS2ke so was curious to ask if you tried the Geekria L pads on them too?

Yes, but it's bass shy. Being the thinnest-sounding stock Grado I own, I also tried the Geekria "LL" on them. Different flavor, but overall, I think it's a better fit unless you want ultimate clarity. (It's still a +2 on my full scale.) But the Hemp w/Geekria L sounds better than the GS2000e w/Geekria L.

I was an early adopter of the GS2000e because I liked the GS1000i and wanted Grado's new wooden flagship. The model launched in May 2016, and I bought mine in December. As stated in my GS2000e vs GS3000e review, the GS2000e is a black sheep. The treble grain I hear on the GS2000e isn't on any of my other models. Whether the grain is distortion, I don't know, as I can't measure it.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #43,379 of 65,656
Hey guys. I have a pair of Grado PS500e that I like quite a bit but I was curious about the new limited edition Hemp headphones. I've read a few reviews, but was wondering how they compare to the Professional Series (specifically the 500e if anyone has compared). I've wanted a wood-based Grado for a while and the Hemp ones seem like a good option at their cheap-ish price.
I've never heard the PS500e but I am bound by the rules of this forum to advise anyone who asks to buy a Hemp 😎.

Oct 8, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #43,380 of 65,656
I've never heard the PS500e but I am bound by the rules of this forum to advise anyone who asks to buy a Hemp 😎.

Haha. It's very tempting. I love both of the Grados I own and those Hemp headphones are beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back