Grado Fan Club!
Apr 8, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #37,831 of 65,652
My Grado setup:
- SR60e with third party (PRC) hard foam bagels.
- FiiO x3II and DK1.
- DIY RA1 clone with virtual ground for 2x9v batteries and 24v DC.

IMG_20180408_104635.jpg

In the DIY paper towel stand there's a couple of third party bowl cups.

The cable is a braided cat5e.

IMG_20180408_104807.jpg IMG_20180408_105645.jpg

Apr 8, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #37,832 of 65,652
looks great! how much the total cost for your diy ra1 if you don't mind me asking.it's really nicely built

btw grado did another collaboration with whiskey maker a-g-a-i-n...maybe this is a sign we need to start drink whiskey while listening with grado :D
Grado-x-1888-Double-Barrel-Reserva-Headphones-2.jpg

Apr 8, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #37,833 of 65,652
looks great! how much the total cost for your diy ra1 if you don't mind me asking.it's really nicely built

btw grado did another collaboration with whiskey maker a-g-a-i-n...maybe this is a sign we need to start drink whiskey while listening with grado :D

Hey, thanks. Total price is hard to calculate, as many materials are involved. I'd say around 95+ Euros. The main board was around 38, the splitter/virtual ground, 8. The 2 batteries were 15 (they're lythium usb rechargeable batts). The 24v DC adapter was 14. The big red caps were 5. Plus sockets and switches and aluminium knob, and foil tape for EMI/RFI, and internal wiring and rectractile tubing... and other small things... For less than 100 Euros that's no way to make it. But it was a lot of fun! And it works really nice. Very silent!

As for the new special edition (the photo you nposted), it looks like whisky, but the word "reserva", which could be in Portuguese and Spanish, said otherwise. It's in fact an aged rum from the Dominican Republic!

Grado wants us to get drunk! It's all part of the experience!

Apr 8, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #37,834 of 65,652
Hey, thanks. Total price is hard to calculate, as many materials are involved. I'd say around 95+ Euros. The main board was around 38, the splitter/virtual ground, 8. The 2 batteries were 15 (they're lythium usb rechargeable batts). The 24v DC adapter was 14. The big red caps were 5. Plus sockets and switches and aluminium knob, and foil tape for EMI/RFI, and internal wiring and rectractile tubing... and other small things... For less than 100 Euros that's no way to make it. But it was a lot of fun! And it works really nice. Very silent!

As for the new special edition (the photo you nposted), it looks like whisky, but the word "reserva", which could be in Portuguese and Spanish, said otherwise. It's in fact an aged rum from the Dominican Republic!

Grado wants us to get drunk! It's all part of the experience!

ahhh yes that's what my initial thought, there is no way this is less than 100 usd hahaha. how about the casing? i bet that case cost a lot. again nicely built:thumbsup::thumbsup:

maybe you're right, it might be rum, honestly i'm not an expert in alcohol department. i was assuming it was whiskey since grado has been collaborated with many of whiskey makers but yeah maybe a bit alcohol with grado will get us to the promise land :D

Apr 8, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #37,835 of 65,652
Building upon the Grado tradition started by Elijah Wood and Zach Cowie, which used wood from barrels of Bushmill's Irish Whisky to make the ear cups of the limited-edition Grado Bushmills...

Ruthieandjohn introduce the Grado Old Milwaukee Light Headphones Limited Edition... ear cups carefully crafted from the broken bottle bottoms that once held Old Milwaukee Beer (but that were emptied into the mouths of the craftsmen!)

These fine glass-cupped headphones, the first truly closed headphones from Grado, remain infused with the increasingly-stinky dirty glass permanently infused with the stench of ageing Old Milwaukee, reminding listeners of the dangers of drinking old beer.

No high-falutin' hoity-toity craft beer here, this is the original beer as enjoyed by the ubiquitous Joe Sixpack.

"Old Milwaukee Light Grado headphones... the lowest common denominator in headphone design!"

Available for 99 cents each... act now and we'll include a second pair for free - just pay separate postage and handling!

Apr 8, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #37,836 of 65,652
Building upon the Grado tradition started by Elijah Wood and Zach Cowie, which used wood from barrels of Bushmill's Irish Whisky to make the ear cups of the limited-edition Grado Bushmills...

Ruthieandjohn introduce the Grado Old Milwaukee Light Headphones Limited Edition... ear cups carefully crafted from the broken bottle bottoms that once held Old Milwaukee Beer (but that were emptied into the mouths of the craftsmen!)

These fine glass-cupped headphones, the first truly closed headphones from Grado, remain infused with the increasingly-stinky dirty glass permanently infused with the stench of ageing Old Milwaukee, reminding listeners of the dangers of drinking old beer.

No high-falutin' hoity-toity craft beer here, this is the original beer as enjoyed by the ubiquitous Joe Sixpack.

"Old Milwaukee Light Grado headphones... the lowest common denominator in headphone design!"

Available for 99 cents each... act now and we'll include a second pair for free - just pay separate postage and handling!

i always demand pictures first and then consultation with my life guru before i part way with my money but this is sound like once in life time deal! please provide the billing info, i'm calling my accountant now!

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #37,839 of 65,652
5C4E351D-8B15-4620-A915-7A1776A3F476.jpeg
I’m still using the same gear that you kind Head-Fi members turned me onto years ago.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #37,840 of 65,652
I’m still using the same gear that you kind Head-Fi members turned me onto years ago.

Very nice.

Long time no see....glad you are back.

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #37,842 of 65,652
Apr 8, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #37,843 of 65,652
Apr 8, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #37,844 of 65,652

i remember my wa3, i miss having a woo amp, they just ooze quality !!

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #37,845 of 65,652
i remember my wa3, i miss having a woo amp, they just ooze quality !!
I think a lot of this semi high-end audiophile stuff needs many hundreds of hours use to really appreciate how good it can sound. Amp, tubes, and headphone burnin are a real thing. But one must consider the synchronicity of using the same components consistently over time. I love my Woo WA6! Not too big, and not too small. Of course I wanted a bigger amp and $2000+ headphones, but having a little girl changed my priorities just a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back