Grado Fan Club!
Apr 14, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #37,861 of 65,637
I was also thinking about the Gh-1.

I wouldn't say any are really an upgrade to the classic Rs1. Not for my personal liking anyway. I suspect the Rs2e would be more transparent than the Rs1, and maybe lack a little meat on the bone so to speak vs the rs1. Pure speculation on my part, I haven't heard the rs2e.

The Gh1 might be what you are looking for, as far as the soundstage might be a bit more 3D vs Rs1 and the treble a bit more laid back. Not necessarily an upgrade to the vintage Rs1 but might be a bit more of what you're looking for in a Grado. If there's any way for you to audition any e gen Grados first, I'd recommend you do that first.

Thank you for the feedback. I was wondering about the RS2e. If the RS2e are more transparent due to generational refinement then they may be just what I am after. When I have the funds I will listen to the GH1s locally and perhaps purchase a pair of RS2e from Amazon and compare. I am thinking that between those two I will find a nice companion to the vintage RS1s.

Apr 14, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #37,862 of 65,637
I’m still using the same gear that you kind Head-Fi members turned me onto years ago.

Welcome back! It's been a while since the meets in Minneapolis!

Apr 14, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #37,863 of 65,637
A little change of pace this afternoon...

tsr15azl.jpg

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #37,865 of 65,637
Appreciate the feedback. The GH1 is a good idea for a complement to the RS1 vintage. I think there is a local dealer who has a pair and I will check them out. When it comes to soundstage I like the intimate soundstage of the Grado RS1.
I'm surprised thee are any GH1 models available, I though they've been sold out for a long tome now.

Apr 15, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #37,868 of 65,637
Looking for some advice from the Community. I recently purchased the Lyr 3 w/ Multibit DAC (previously owned the Jotunheim w/ Balanced DAC) and it has taken my 325e w/ G Cushions to another level. I own the original Wood NightHawks and HD650 as well. While I notice a slight improvement with these Cans, the Lyr 3 truly takes my Grados to another level. I am considering the RS2e and the GH2. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that @ruthieandjohn has added the GH2 to his chart (which I greatly appreciate as a baseline for comparison). Just curious if the additonal $150 is worth it for the GH2? Prior to the Lyr 3, I auditioned the RS2e and did not think it was a significant upgrade over the 325e with my prior Vali 2/Modi 2 setup and various DragonFly iterations. I think I may appreciate an upgrade based on the potential of the Lyr 3. I have been a Grado fan since my first pair of original 125s. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #37,869 of 65,637
I haven't heard either the Rs2e or Gh2, but from what I gather I suspect they're about as opposite as you can get within the Grado sound. Just a matter of personal preference I'd say.

In my opinion you should also consider throwing the Gh1 and the Ps1k into the mix, they're all definitely wonderful headphones for sure!:sunglasses::thumbsup:

Btw , I was considering buying the Jot +Mb dac, but now you have certainly peaked my interest in the Lyr 3 + mb dac

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #37,870 of 65,637
I haven't heard either the Rs2e or Gh2, but from what I gather I suspect they're about as opposite as you can get within the Grado sound. Just a matter of personal preference I'd say.

In my opinion you should also consider throwing the Gh1 and the Ps1k into the mix, they're all definitely wonderful headphones for sure!:sunglasses::thumbsup:

Btw , I was considering buying the Jot +Mb dac, but now you have certainly peaked my interest in the Lyr 3 + mb dac

Thank you for the reply. The GH1 is no longer available and the PS1000e is simply too expensive. I could purchase the RS2e and the GH2 for the price of a PS1000 series Can. The Jotunheim is an amazing product and I defintely recommend it. Their Multibit DACs are simply the best I have heard and make me forget about getting back into Vinyl. I upgraded/sidegraded to the Lyr 3 and gave up Balanced for Tubes. For the NightHawk and HD650, I felt it was a wash (understanding my DAC was the original Balanced DAC in the Jotunheim and not the Multibit). If Grado is your prefered sound signature then I would recommend paying the additional $100 for the Lyr 3. As I understand it, Grado would often recommend the Lyr 2 and I believe the general concensus is that the Lyr 3 is much better. The synergy is amazing.

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #37,871 of 65,637
Ha, sorry, I meant an original Ps1k which can be bought on the used market for anywhere from $700 and up. Used Gh1 go for $475 and up, but that's only if you don't mind buying used. :worried:

Nothing a new pair of cushions can't fix I say :smile::mask:

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #37,872 of 65,637
Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #37,874 of 65,637

Users who are viewing this thread

Back