Grado Fan Club!
Mar 29, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #37,801 of 65,543
+1
sound of PS1000 is really something special.

Actually its one thing i'd like to ask here regarding my recent adventure with PS1000 )
The story is, recently I got PS1000, liked them from the first try... really fantastic. Serial number was starting 36xx.
The small issue was overall used condition. So i started to look for some more offers, and get one more pair of PS1000 (from this forum.. thanks) good deal. SN 21xx suggest a bit older then mine but in really good condition. The idea was to keep those and sale previous one.. BUT
After A/B them the sound is differnt! My biggest problem at the moment I like them both and cant decide which to keep. )
Coming back to sound..
Here is the differance between two
1. 36xx (my first set) - it's really U shape, nice deep extended bass, some recessed middle, strong highs, excellent transparency and details.. i would say real Magic.
2. 21xx (second pair i get from here..) - i would describe as moved a bit right side U shape (more bright) more highs, shorter bass extend, but more textured and (meaty) detailed. More middles, similar transparency and details.
As i said they are the same PS1000 with different sound. Its makes me thinking how somebody can listen to PS1000, have an opinion, but other pair of PS1000 can sound just different. Really different.
What is it? One is used more.. so opened up.. drivers lot, PS1000i ..Amy ideas?

Sorry odessamarin, I wish I had some kind of explanation or answer to your post. The pair I presently own is my second one & I personally don't remember my initial pair sounding different or vice versa. It wasn't that long ago either that I sold my first pair so, I could be wrong but, again, from what I can remember about the first pair's sound I'm pretty sure I would have known if there was a noticeable difference between both. There is one question that came to mind : did you listen to both PS1000 with the same source & amplifier ?

Mar 29, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #37,802 of 65,543
There is one question that came to mind : did you listen to both PS1000 with the same source & amplifier ?
Yes, sure. Same source Chord Hugo, same amp Bryston, same songs... just plug and unplug one by one.. the difference is really there. I wouldn't start this post here if it just some subjective feeling or small variations. Considering they are the same.. i also went blind.. even so was able to distinguish them very well. Mainly more wide extend bass in one, and more mids less bass in the other.

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #37,803 of 65,543
Like @joseph69 mention, this is not the first time I've heard of variation of sound in the ps1k. Choose wisely!

Edit: Have you tried switching pads? I dont think they'll magically sound the same all of a sudden, but who knows? Maybe it'll make your decision easier depending on the outcome.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #37,804 of 65,543
Could also be pads of either pair are in different condition...one new and firm and the other soft and squashy. Try switching them!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #37,805 of 65,543
(Whoops... wormsdriver beat me to my brilliant answer...I think he copied my post! )

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #37,806 of 65,543
Yes agree, pads, also headband clamp force may be involved..
I can say that pads on both are similar in good shape and condition. But as suggested will try switch them and see.
As for clamp i did both similar shape in a way i like it, so should be not that big variability there.

Mar 30, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #37,807 of 65,543
Could also be pads of either pair are indifferent condition...one new and firm and the other soft and squashy. Try switching them!

the correct technical term is "squishy" :beyersmile:

Mar 30, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #37,808 of 65,543
Yes agree, pads, also headband clamp force may be involved..
I can say that pads on both are similar in good shape and condition. But as suggested will try switch them and see.
As for clamp i did both similar shape in a way i like it, so should be not that big variability there.
Again, there are where different variations of the several PS1K models that I owned. You've already mentioned you clearly hear the diferrences between the 2 you own. This is just the way it is. Remember, Grado tunes their headphones by ear so...

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #37,811 of 65,543
I would strongly second that. They are not a neutral headphone. I do not care for LCD or HD6XX as I find that they add nothing to the music. A lot of people prefer 'phones that are completely natural and accurate.
I am not one of those.

Different strokes...

Shane D

Apr 3, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #37,813 of 65,543
Apr 3, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #37,814 of 65,543
Apr 3, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #37,815 of 65,543
But what makes grado headphones so good?
I can't say what exactly, but only grado makes me feels and look to them after listening as on the musical instrument not headphones.
No other cans I had (LCD3, HD800s, HD650, 600.. AKG..) gave me this feeling and impression.
And yes. the word magic is the one i used as well. Again, how could we explain magic )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back