Grado Fan Club!
Feb 10, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #34,607 of 65,789

I have always had a Grado, but at times I may just have a 60i or a 225i.

Just like having that Grado sound around, but I will admit that for the most part, the Grado sound stays intact through pretty much the whole series of cans.

For this reason it makes me want to explore other style headphones.  I do wish Grado would experiment with a closed headphone, that would peak my interest.

I actually prefer the older school Grados, love the RS1 semi-vintage they sound awesome , but they bring so many other advantages for me....I am not a fan of the newer thick cables, nor the small headphone plug, for myself, if I pay $600 for a headphone, I am going to do most of my listening from my home set-up...so why can't I at least have the option of the jack that I want and the cable that I prefer.  I never think it is a good idea to have the cable weigh more than the headphone itself .

Grados have a great sounding cable on the older models, and they can still be a bit quirky, I manage mine just fine, but it is way more of a job than with other headphones that I own....those cables seem to manage there self and you really don't notice they exist, I never find myself fiddling with them.

I don't want to sound like I am bashing, but I probably do...this stuff does not bother most...so this is just a rant of my pet peeves.

All this being said....I love the Grado sound and I think I will always own one....they just perform so darm well with the guitars that I love to hear.

Agree with you about the new 8 conductor cables being way to heavy for such light headphones, can't imagine dealing with the 12 conductor cables on some models.  Also, making removable cables is the first thing that needs to made standard on RS series and up.

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #34,608 of 65,789
Anyone still head-bobbing with their HF2? I still listen to mine daily with my office rig. :L3000:  

I sure am! I was amazed to put a DAC/amp on my HF2 and find a far larger improvement over just straight from iPod than I could recall with any other Grado. I then scouted around and found that the RS1e was the second most improved by DAC/amp!

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #34,610 of 65,789
  Agree with you about the new 8 conductor cables being way to heavy for such light headphones, can't imagine dealing with the 12 conductor cables on some models.  Also, making removable cables is the first thing that needs to made standard on RS series and up.

O man that would torture me, though. First thing I'd do is crack them open and direct solder the cable. One less obstacle in my signal flow!

In fact it is the first thing I did with my Nighthawks lol.

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #34,612 of 65,789

O man that would torture me, though. First thing I'd do is crack them open and direct solder the cable. One less obstacle in my signal flow!

In fact it is the first thing I did with my Nighthawks lol.

You'd better solder the other end right to the headphone amp, and solder the amp to the DAC

With so many connections going from source to DAC to amp I really don't think one more connection is really a problem.

Feb 10, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #34,613 of 65,789
Oh, by the way "Macedonian Hero" you're always welcome in Texas, come on down for great hospitality, Tex-mex n bar b que. the weather is always nice.

Thanks man! I've been down to the Lone Star state a few times. My company's head offices and main plant are just outside of Austin. I do love going to Salt Lick or Dukes for some awesome BBQ! The last time I was down, the coolest it got was 98'F (at night). But now here in Toronto with 28'F and 6" of snow tonight, I'll take that 98'F! 

Feb 10, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #34,614 of 65,789
ruthieandjohn which DAC/amp do you prefer with the RS1e?

For solid state, the Joseph Grado HPA-1. For tube, the Schiit Lyr2 preceded by Schiit Bifrost Multibit. For portable, the CEntrance Hi-Fi Skyn. For semi portable, the Chord Hugo. For overall best, the Schoit combination.

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #34,615 of 65,789
You'd better solder the other end right to the headphone amp, and solder the amp to the DAC

With so many connections going from source to DAC to amp I really don't think one more connection is really a problem.

Eh, I've done my own experimenting. You should try it! Or not lol, it's your own gig. Just like cables. If you don't believe in them that's fine, but I find them important.

I mean we wouldn't need good quality connectors and terminations if I skip them all, would we? It's just not practical. But I'm pretty sure eliminating a connection point (and therefore a break) is one of least crazy things I've seen done in audio...

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #34,616 of 65,789

Eh, I've done my own experimenting. You should try it! Or not lol, it's your own gig. Just like cables. If you don't believe in them that's fine, but I find them important.

I mean we wouldn't need good quality connectors and terminations if I skip them all, would we? It's just not practical. But I'm pretty sure eliminating a connection point (and therefore a break) is one of least crazy things I've seen done in audio...

I'm one who hasn't heard any difference with cables for headphones or even power cables but the quality of the supplied juice is a problem with some locations and does require conditioning.  The way I look at it is if I can't hear a difference save the money and spend it where I can hear a difference, or taste a difference LOL.

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #34,617 of 65,789
Hey there Grado-ites, in an effort to preserve marital well-being, it's time to move a few Grados, some of which are hard to come by!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/834551/original-grado-rs1-ps500-gs1000

Would love to see them go to someone who I know will appreciate them! Thanks!

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #34,618 of 65,789

Anyone still head-bobbing with their HF2? I still listen to mine daily with my office rig.
L3000.gif

I sure am! I was amazed to put a DAC/amp on my HF2 and find a far larger improvement over just straight from iPod than I could recall with any other Grado. I then scouted around and found that the RS1e was the second most improved by DAC/amp!

The HF2 are more fun than HD600. I keep switching between these 2 pairs in the office. Whenever I need more bass groove and excitements, I put on the HF2; When it's getting uncomfortable around the ears (pads), HD 600 are on :wink:

The V-shaped frequency response of the HF2 definitely set them apart from the neutrality of the HD 600, and the SR325's lack of bass.

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #34,619 of 65,789
The HF2 is the only Grado I everheard and owned.

Love em, love em, love em.

A great change from my usual references.

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #34,620 of 65,789
May I ask the Grado expert, would you recommend opening the wooden cups of Grado RS series for re-cabling?
I found Grado cable too short for my use and thinking about this, and notice some dealers offer this type of service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back