Grado Fan Club!
Feb 9, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #34,576 of 66,259
Those GH2 are gorgeous!

I'm in no rush for a PS2000e, especially at a higher price point than the PS1Ke. I just made a crazy purchase, and gotta give myself and the wife some time to build up a nice lil' nest-egg (head-egg?) for anything pricier.

I know I don't post very often, so probably most of you guys don't know me, but I've been lurking around Head-Fi for around 6 years now. All that time, I've been steadily climbing the Grado ladder, with a little diversion here or there along the way.

It all started when my brother introduced me to the SR-60i, and I was floored by the performance of Bruckner's Symphony No. 7. These headphones put me in the middle or the orchestra. I had to have a pair, and soon I had some SR-80i's to call my own. Soon, I was asking myself the question -- how can there be Grado's (or anything, for that matter) better than the SR-80i when they sounded so dang good already??

I tried to answer that question with my first upgrade, a pair of SR-325is, at a time when $300 seemed like a crazy amount to spend on headphones. How did they sound? Well...I couldn't tell any difference. That's pretty disheartening, let me tell ya! Near-frantically, I started listening to music in earnest at that time; where before I'd be content to sit back and enjoy a good chord progression or vocal harmony on whatever cans or earbuds I had at hand, I'd now find myself listening for more detail, soundstage, bass presence, and even performing torture-tests with low-bitrate mp3s. I often found myself going to bed with these aluminum cylinders on my ears.

After a week or so, it finally clicked -- my new headphones DID sound similar to the previous pair, but more detail was there, along with a bit more noticeable bass extension and instrument separation. I was also noticing compression artifacts in 96kbps mp3's that had never been quite apparent to me before. On the right recordings, though, the brightness -- the SPARKLE -- of those headphones was to die for. I miss 'em, but they're in good hands with the brother that introduced me to Grado.

Fast forward a few months to me having a severe money management problem -- I found myself with several credit cards, but the prospect of paying rent at my apartment was getting tricky. Having a roommate, you can't really slouch on that, right? So, I talked myself into a credit-funded purchase of an RS2i, which at the time was holding its value pretty well. I could then either turn them around for rent money, or keep them around for the next month I thought I was going to come up short.

Well, fortune smiled on me! After subsisting on crackers for a couple weeks, I didn't need to let go of my piggy bank...er, my RS2i's. A couple of months later, I was back in the black, and I couldn't resist tearing into the package (carefully) and trying them out. That's been about 6 years ago now, and they've been my daily drivers nearly all that time. Lightweight, refined, and well-suited to just about anything I threw at them. All of the ways I tried to branch out (Audio Technica, AKG, Sony, Sennheiser) just didn't have the rewarding sound of Grado headphones.

Fast fast forward (for those that had fancy VCRs) a few years, and I've gotten a job in my field, I'm paying down debt, getting married to the lady of my dreams, and can even sock away a little extra cash per check. Nearly every day I was soaking up any impressions of Grado headphones I could find, looking for that perfect acquisition -- and "end-game headphone". Where I live, it's a 5.5 hour drive to anywhere that even carries the Prestige Series, which is an awful shame. Every road trip and flight out of town, I was always on the lookout for stores that carried the RS1, GS1000, or PS1000.

Finally, just a month before my wedding, I had a bachelor party in Vegas. Did I...reenact The Hangover? engage in debauchery? gamble all my money away? NOPE! Went to the Grado dealer! Got to sit for over an hour and sample the RS1i, GS1000i, and PS1000 (also got to compare to the HD800). The PS1000 didn't impress. Not at first, at least. There was a big soundstage compared to what I was used to, but I really couldn't hear any way a particular frequency stood out. Then I slipped on the RS1i and it totally hit me -- every bit of the PS1000 range just sounded RIGHT. I switched back. Treble -- bright, yes, but detailed enough to prevent any harshness. Mids -- maybe a bit recessed in a certain range, but then again I was comparing to the RS1i -- the PS1k didn't sound like the vocalist was shy or anything, so again, no complaints. Bass extension was great, but I wasn't seeing enough emphasis to make them anywhere near "basshead" headphones per se. What about those graphs I'd seen? The jokes about mountain ranges?

It just struck me that every note from every instrument sounded the way that I'd expect that instrument to sound. All I wanted more of, and I mean ALL I could ever ask for, would be even better localization of instruments, which was already pretty fantastic with these.

After so long looking and listening, 3 weeks ago, I pulled the trigger on the PS1000e. Hoooo boy!

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #34,577 of 66,259
Crazy pumped for the GH2. I only ordered one for my store back when the GH1 hit and that was a huge regret. Both because I didn't buy it for myself and because I didn't have more to sell to others. But mostly for myself. Sometimes I feel like throwing up a trade for my HF-2's...

Anyways, GH2's are shipping in early March and I will have a few on hand!

-S

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #34,578 of 66,259
  Here I sit Grado-less for the first time in a long time. That said, the GH-2s look to be my next headphone purchase! 
wink.gif

Great timing, Peter.

Those cups are beautiful and with new drivers to boot....now if only they would add some wonderful cocobolo buttons 
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #34,579 of 66,259
   Great timing, Peter.

Those cups are beautiful and with new drivers to boot....now if only they would add some wonderful cocobolo buttons 
biggrin.gif

buttons would be very cool

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #34,580 of 66,259
I was googling the Cocobolo tonewood of the GH-2.

This page says: http://breedlovemusic.com/acoustic-guitars/tonewoods/cocobolo
"Cocobolo is dark, and dense, with a bright, clear, sustaining voice and a tone that is very similar to the best rosewood. Provides well-balanced tone with power, sustain and volume. Responsive, with clear, slow-decaying harmonics and a well-articulated and complex low end. Similar to Brazilian rosewood with a little less bass and more pronounced treble."

(Maple of the GH-1 is mean to be good for projection, and a little bright.)

Anyway, just saying.

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #34,582 of 66,259
at the risk of derailing the hype train before it leaves the station, a ps2000e hasn't been confirmed by anyone, including grado afaik, or am i missing something?

I e-mailed Grado immediately after seeing the video posted by @wormsdriverand asking when they PS2Ke was going to be released, and whoever received my e-mail replied "we would have to ask". So it seems to be a matter when the train is leaving the station.

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #34,583 of 66,259
  it's kind of weird to see Grado fans talking about how sexy the headphones look. I thought part of the Grado appeal was that they look old-school nerdy.

yea.like 65/67 ford mustang, they look sexy. the new modern mustang look like crap. only few modern hypercars that had a sexy look

I don't know, from what I've heard the PS-1 are bass heavy.

i was hoping for something neutral or something like more refine ps1000e with deep bass and reduce weight

@jlaseter
great journey dude!!

I sure hope they're not a limited run. Also, I wonder if this means there could be a cocobolo GS headphone coming up? GS3000e?

i highly doubt they would change the mahogany to other kind of wood on rs/gs for about 20 years they just using different variety of mahogany. but maybe they would do it on the next gs headphone like gs3000. but then again it would be a very long time when that happen

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #34,585 of 66,259
That ad is so fraught with grammatical errors that I thought that "destressed" was someone's version of "distressed." But I think not. It does mean "burned in" to me. I have always wondered why Grado has not taken advantage of the idea of just burning in their headphones. What an advantage that would give Grado.

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #34,588 of 66,259
Ended up selling both. :smile:

It is so ironic that @MacedonianHero, who like @LCFiner,@joseph69, and @DevouringOne is a key influencer of Grado opinions, no longer has a Grado!!!

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #34,589 of 66,259
It is so ironic that @MacedonianHero, who like @LCFiner, joseph69, and @DevouringOne is a key influencer of Grado opinions, no longer has a Grado!!!

Lol...it's happened to me from time to time. But the GH-2s seem to be calling my name. I'm not really interested in the PS2000e though.

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #34,590 of 66,259
Lol...it's happened to me from time to time. But the GH-2s seem to be calling my name. I'm not really interested in the PS2000e though.

Wow! Why (no interest in PS2000e and great interest in GH-2)?

I have the GH-1, and while it is in the top 15% of my Grados (I have 27 different models), it really hasn't excited me like the PS1000 or PS1000e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back