Grado Fan Club!
Oct 3, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #33,526 of 65,702

Eh, nevermind.  They responded to my email right away.  $100 and that includes return postage.  Not bad.  I'll probably do that.

Not sure about this suggestion given the inclusion of return postage, but I had a headphone cable repaired at Moon Audio for $30 + parts.  They are an authorized dealer for Grado.

Oct 3, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #33,527 of 65,702

Not sure about this suggestion given the inclusion of return postage, but I had a headphone cable repaired at Moon Audio for $30 + parts.  They are an authorized dealer for Grado.

I believe that Grado repair fees are fixed fee based on headphone model, not on condition.  I am paying $100 for a simple cable replacement for my RS2e (bent the jack when my dog stumbled on the cord and pulled it out) and I paid $100 to have not one but both wood cups replaced and cabled for my prized Grado Bushmills.  Likewise, I understand that the Prestige Series headphones are repaired for $35 - $50 regardless of repair.

Oct 4, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #33,528 of 65,702
Hi! I'm looking for a great case for the RS2e's. Bought the EarZonk. Don't like it much. squinches the earphone cable too much. Any other Grado users who care for a case? Love my RS2e's. They are phenomenal. 

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #33,529 of 65,702
I bought a proper Grado case for mine which keeps them safe.

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #33,530 of 65,702

I believe that Grado repair fees are fixed fee based on headphone model, not on condition.  I am paying $100 for a simple cable replacement for my RS2e (bent the jack when my dog stumbled on the cord and pulled it out) and I paid $100 to have not one but both wood cups replaced and cabled for my prized Grado Bushmills.  Likewise, I understand that the Prestige Series headphones are repaired for $35 - $50 regardless of repair.

yes, flat fee repair for each model. Unfortunately some of the prices jumped... well at least for the sr325. I contacted grado recently for my old sr325 and they quoted me $75.

I've had another sr325 repair in the past and I believe they charged me like $35 if I remember correctly... might have been $45? 
smile.gif

Hi! I'm looking for a great case for the RS2e's. Bought the EarZonk. Don't like it much. squinches the earphone cable too much. Any other Grado users who care for a case? Love my RS2e's. They are phenomenal. 

I recommend the V Audio case: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-Storage-Carry-Case-for-GRADO-SR60-SR80-SR125-SR225-SR325-RS1-RS2-Headphone-/191827424656?hash=item2ca9ce3590:g:LL0AAOSwnDZULxFi

and I also have this case: http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=191443207248

I'm not sure what you mean by "squinchling the cable too much" though?...

Here's some quick pictures of mine...

BTW, you might want to shop around for this best price, since I know there should be several places selling these same cases.

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #33,531 of 65,702

I use this case for my SR125e, fits well with room to spare even with G cushions on.

http://www.slappa.com/HardBody-PRO-Full-Size-Headphone-case.html

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #33,532 of 65,702
I bought a Chord mojo for my PS500e and I think it is a perfect match. It takes a little of the edge off, improves the bass and keeps the details of the highs. This is in direct comparision my my W4S DAC2/Burson soloist sl. The mojo is pretty cheap and Grado fans should give it a try.

Just thought I would share.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #33,534 of 65,702
Ps500 or maybe ps1000 is next on my radar :smiling_imp:

Which ps1000 model older, I or E? The PS1000e is very different than the PS500e. The PS500e is the darkest of the Grados (bit rolled off in the highs, brighter than the Elear, darker then the HD800S etc) and the PS1000e is one of the brightest.

The PS500e easily has the most enjoyable tonal balance for me. I can listen to them quiet or loud all day long. Maybe my favorite headphone ever for shear enjoyment. In absolute terms the deep bass, soundstage, and fine details in the highs are lacking but they are my go too headphone these days. I really like the Mids and that is where the music is.

I have only demoed the PS1000e and they seemed to have more details in the highs but are also much brighter. I would demo these first if you are sensitive to bright headphones, and they are super heavy.

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #33,535 of 65,702
PS1000 is older than the PS1000e and has the 44 mm drivers rather than the 50
mm one of the PS1000e (and GS1000e and RS1e).

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #33,536 of 65,702
Which ps1000 model older, I or E? The PS1000e is very different than the PS500e. The PS500e is the darkest of the Grados (bit rolled off in the highs, brighter than the Elear, darker then the HD800S etc) and the PS1000e is one of the brightest.

The PS500e easily has the most enjoyable tonal balance for me. I can listen to them quiet or loud all day long. Maybe my favorite headphone ever for shear enjoyment. In absolute terms the deep bass, soundstage, and fine details in the highs are lacking but they are my go too headphone these days. I really like the Mids and that is where the music is.

I have only demoed the PS1000e and they seemed to have more details in the highs but are also much brighter. I would demo these first if you are sensitive to bright headphones, and they are super heavy.

I was talking mostly of the E versions for both headphones, only because it may be difficult to purchase a new set of previous models.. and I would also prefer to hear them in person before buying. I know from what I have read their sounds differ, but my sound signature preferences change a lot so either one would fit well into my collection. Just depends on how well they do their respective signatures. I like both bright and dark headphones, but if it is too bright then I do tend to get a headache after awhile. The HD800 were just on the edge of being too painful to listen to after long sessions.

So far I have heard everything in the E series except the PS500e/PS1000e and also GS2000e. RS2e has been my favorite so far.. but I also really like the 225e.

I am sort of drawn to the PS1000e only because it is their supposed flagship.

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #33,537 of 65,702
I was talking mostly of the E versions for both headphones, only because it may be difficult to purchase a new set of previous models.. and I would also prefer to hear them in person before buying. I know from what I have read their sounds differ, but my sound signature preferences change a lot so either one would fit well into my collection. Just depends on how well they do their respective signatures. I like both bright and dark headphones, but if it is too bright then I do tend to get a headache after awhile. The HD800 were just on the edge of being too painful to listen to after long sessions.

So far I have heard everything in the E series except the PS500e/PS1000e and also GS2000e. RS2e has been my favorite so far.. but I also really like the 225e.

I am sort of drawn to the PS1000e only because it is their supposed flagship.

Ok, I have demoed the HD800S and PS1000e back to back on a woo audio wA6. The PS1000E is brighter in the upper treble but also had better tone and texture. The PS1000e was maybe less strained in the treble but at the same time a little brighter.

For what it is worth the PS1000e's tone sounded more like real instruments to me than the HD800S. I was listening to Eric Claptons unplugged album for the demo.

The RS2e is right between the PS1000e and PS500e for nutrality. If you want more bass and soundstage at the cost of some brightness try the PS1000e. If you just want a hair more bass and less fatigue go PS500e

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #33,538 of 65,702
Ok, I have demoed the HD800S and PS1000e back to back on a woo audio wA6. The PS1000E is brighter in the upper treble but also had better tone and texture. The PS1000e was maybe less strained in the treble but at the same time a little brighter.

For what it is worth the PS1000e's tone sounded more like real instruments to me than the HD800S. I was listening to Eric Claptons unplugged album for the demo.

The RS2e is right between the PS1000e and PS500e for nutrality. If you want more bass and soundstage at the cost of some brightness try the PS1000e. If you just want a hair more bass and less fatigue go PS500e

Oh awesome, that's actually quite insightful. I love the niche Grado headphones. For all the minor gripes I have for Grado.. in the end I always come back to them!

Oct 7, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #33,540 of 65,702
Love my Grado's....never considered any other brand...
my biggest beefs:

cables - since the cups rotate the cables can twist around, getting kinked/ deformed

- black end caps coming off and becoming lost

- durability, esp with the woodies such as GS1000 series

- non detachable cables

... in spite of the above, I love my Grado's as every cent has gone into
sq and musical enjoyment

(for example, check out reviews on GR10e...modest priced IEM's
that compares well - in sq/musical enjoyment- with many of the most popular and expensive ones)

Golden-eared designers and perfectionists - American audio icons. Their phono
cartidges also are among the finest performing and sounding - for really reasonable prices vs
similar performing/sounding competitors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back