Grado Fan Club!
Oct 2, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #33,512 of 65,858
Hi all. My only e series Grado is 125.  I have 225i, RS2i , RS1i and MS2i and I think the sound signature is different. 

i series is more transparent and clean.

e series sounds with a ¨pinch¨of dark tone.   I can listen more detail with e series but is not as fast than the  i series.  

I would prefer i series for jazz fusion and rock. 

What do you think about it?

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #33,513 of 65,858
Hi all. My only e series Grado is 125.  I have 225i, RS2i , RS1i and MS2i and I think the sound signature is different. 

e series sounds with a ¨pinch¨of dark tone.   I can listen more detail with e series but is not as fast than the  i series.  

I did like how the i series was crisp and brighter. It did sound more transparent in some cases too

Oct 2, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #33,514 of 65,858

The only 2 "e" and "i" that I can do a direct comparison are the 225, the "e" is fuller sounding and is better balanced to me, the "i" is a bit thin sounding and not as smooth in the highs.  I've since put the 225i driver in wood cups where its becomes quite smooth with great balance.

As for transparent and clean, to me the "e" series is the more transparent and clean sounding where the "i" is a bit grainy in the highs and colors the mids to make them a bit shouty IMO.  Just remember this only applies to the 225's that I have and none of the other models.  While I also have a RS2e, 80i and 60i, I haven't heard their "e" series counter parts or in the case of the RS2e its "i" series version

Oct 2, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #33,515 of 65,858
  The only 2 "e" and "i" that I can do a direct comparison are the 225, the "e" is fuller sounding and is better balanced to me, the "i" is a bit thin sounding and not as smooth in the highs.  I've since put the 225i driver in wood cups where its becomes quite smooth with great balance.

As for transparent and clean, to me the "e" series is the more transparent and clean sounding where the "i" is a bit grainy in the highs and colors the mids to make them a bit shouty IMO.  Just remember this only applies to the 225's that I have and none of the other models.  While I also have a RS2e, 80i and 60i, I haven't heard their "e" series counter parts or in the case of the RS2e its "i" series version

I was able to grab the big table from this comparison I did across 25 Grado models, highlighting those that compare various versions (original, -i, -e, and for the SR325, the -is) with red boxes.  Each line is a particular acoustic feature; a 3 means that that headphone was strongest of the three in the table in that regard (also gets a blue box for First Prize), while second best is 2 (red) and third best is 1 (yellow).

I found that for RS2, I liked RS2 < RS2i < RS2e, but for RS1, the reverse was true - RS1e < RS1i < RS1.  Likewise, for GS1000, it was GS1000e < GS1000i (which was one of my favorites).  I was particularly fond of the SR325i for its unique brightness (more than any other Grado), and so SR325is < SR325e < SR325i.  For me, PS1000e < PS1000.

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #33,516 of 65,858
I also prefer the SR325i compared to the SR325e. The SR325e is more balanced but the SR325i is unique to my ears. Such beautiful mid. For me it is THE HEADPHONE to listen to singer/songwriter.... ok together with the MS-Pro with distancers and G-cush and the Etymotic SR4SR....

Oct 3, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #33,517 of 65,858
  I also prefer the SR325i compared to the SR325e. The SR325e is more balanced but the SR325i is unique to my ears. Such beautiful mid. For me it is THE HEADPHONE to listen to singer/songwriter.... ok together with the MS-Pro with distancers and G-cush and the Etymotic SR4SR....

Although I never heard the 325i, I do have the 325is and agree that the vocals are the most life-like upfront presentation (your there) that I've heard. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #33,518 of 65,858

Is it possible that the difference in sound signatures between the SR125e and the "i" series Grado's that you have is Grado model related, rather than the difference between the "e" and "i" series, in general?  I would not think that a comparison between "e" and "I" series is entirely valid unless it is the same model Grado headphone.

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #33,519 of 65,858

I think my 125i were a bit faster than my 225e. It left the 125i overall feeling balanced.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #33,522 of 65,858

In general, the e-series both increases the bass (just a bit) and increases the overall sensitivity (by 3 dB) over the corresponding i series.

As a result, I found that the SR325e (the SR325 series is the brightest of the Grado models, with the SR325i being the brightest of the SR325 series), which is darker because of its -e designation than the SR325is that came before, is indistinguishable from my SR225i (the SR225s are "middle of the road" in brightness, one of those that best represent the Grado sound, but the SR225i is going to be brighter than the SR225e, and hence ends up just like (to me) the SR325e).

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #33,523 of 65,858
I've got a intermittent connection problem in the cable on my GH-1s.  They're unfortunately out of warranty so I'm wondering if anyone knows what Grado charges for repairs of this type.  Or should I just have them re-cabled?

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #33,524 of 65,858
  I've got a intermittent connection problem in the cable on my GH-1s.  They're unfortunately out of warranty so I'm wondering if anyone knows what Grado charges for repairs of this type.  Or should I just have them re-cabled?

Eh, nevermind.  They responded to my email right away.  $100 and that includes return postage.  Not bad.  I'll probably do that.

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #33,525 of 65,858
  In general, the e-series both increases the bass (just a bit) and increases the overall sensitivity (by 3 dB) over the corresponding i series.

As a result, I found that the SR325e (the SR325 series is the brightest of the Grado models, with the SR325i being the brightest of the SR325 series), which is darker because of its -e designation than the SR325is that came before, is indistinguishable from my SR225i (the SR225s are "middle of the road" in brightness, one of those that best represent the Grado sound, but the SR225i is going to be brighter than the SR225e, and hence ends up just like (to me) the SR325e).

Excelent explanation. Thank you so much!. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back