Grado Fan Club!
Oct 7, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #33,541 of 65,702
The cable comment is a good one. I would love to have detachable cables just for flexibility. Moon audio makes some that way but I am always hesitant because of headphone to headphone consistency. I had to buy two PS500es to get a pair that was balanced perfectly right to left (I am super picky about that).

I just order them though crutchfield, that way I don't feel bad about returning them if I get a bad sample.

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #33,543 of 65,702
Since I had my first Grado listening experience I found my headphone sound signature.  

Sometimes,.  like rigth now,  I would prefer feeling  the bass in my chest with the speakers, but I need to come back to my Grados.  

beerchug.gif

Oct 8, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #33,544 of 65,702
  Alright Grado fans, it's time for the annual herd-thinning at casa de JoeDoe. 

I've got a beautiful set of RS1i, PS500e, and an RA1 that I need to unload. PM if you're interested!

is this a battery driven or AC driven RA1?

Oct 8, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #33,545 of 65,702
Hi! I've got the RS2e's which do not have removable headphone cords. For the last few weeks, right up until last night, I've been on this long hunt for a headphone case which doesn't constrict the cord running out of the ear cups. I have the EarZonk case in front of me, and it does in fact mush the cords. Should I worry? Anyone have experience with this fear, and what do you do? You guys ROCK!!!!

Oct 8, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #33,546 of 65,702
  Hi! I've got the RS2e's which do not have removable headphone cords. For the last few weeks, right up until last night, I've been on this long hunt for a headphone case which doesn't constrict the cord running out of the ear cups. I have the EarZonk case in front of me, and it does in fact mush the cords. Should I worry? Anyone have experience with this fear, and what do you do? You guys ROCK!!!!

The cords will twist.  Someone here (I suspect joseph69) published a way to reverse this twisting... has to do with  hanging the headphones by their jack overnight, after first reversing both the macro twist (cable to L ear being twisted with cable to R ear) by untwisting the headphone as a unit, and then reversing the micro twist (twist in individual L and R cable on way from Y connection to the headphone) by twisting the corresponding earpiece.  I recall mention of possible gentle heating with a hair dryer, but I seem to recall that it made no difference.  But once untwisted, hanging them overnight DID help... a coathook on the wall allows the headphone to lean against the wall and not return to a twisted state due to memory in the wire.

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #33,547 of 65,702
HI! I'm not necessarilly talking about twisting of the cords I'm talking about when you put them in a case, and the cords are cramped. 
Am I just worrying over nothing? I hate to think I've been driving myself headphone case crazy for nothing...
**Just as a side note: These cans are crazy awesome! Right now I'm listening to some electronica streaming off of Hi-Def Tidal. Just 
super. And all that brightness talk I heard so much about? Not in these. And the bass? Not overwhelming, but solid in the right amount,
and accurate. I actually look forward to listening to music now. 

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #33,548 of 65,702
Hey guys I just got the EarZonk also delivered to my HK address. I got it thinking it might fit the GS 2000e I will get in HK next week when I go there. Hope it sounds like what I read on the 2000e thread. I really want to try a TOTL Grado and those wood ones seems attractive. I am living in Saigon and it's not possible to listen before you buy. I am listening to Saint Saens Organ symphony right now on the 500e and it's just great!!!

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #33,549 of 65,702
Quote:
  HI! I'm not necessarilly talking about twisting of the cords I'm talking about when you put them in a case, and the cords are cramped. 
Am I just worrying over nothing? I hate to think I've been driving myself headphone case crazy for nothing...
**Just as a side note: These cans are crazy awesome! Right now I'm listening to some electronica streaming off of Hi-Def Tidal. Just 
super. And all that brightness talk I heard so much about? Not in these. And the bass? Not overwhelming, but solid in the right amount,
and accurate. I actually look forward to listening to music now. 

I had some older SR-80i that after a few years the plastic covering of the wires near where they enter the cups cracked from all the bending.  With my RS2e I would think it would crack even faster since the cables are so thick and heavy since they went to the 8 wire cable versus the old 4 wire.  I'll probably mod my RS2e with SMC jacks when I have a lot of free time since removing the drivers is really time consuming, did the SMC jacks on a friends RS2 a while ago and didn't know it would take that long to get the drivers out.

All my Grados or builds have SMC jacks, it a small jack and easy to work with, here are a picture where you can see the jacks:

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #33,551 of 65,702
  How did you get the drivers out of the wood cups?
Thanks.

I use a very thin craft knife, had to change the blades 3 times for each cups.  I got the info on how to remove the drivers from wood cups on this thread about a year ago IIRC, the poster said he used a thin surgical scalpel so I figured the thin craft knife would also work.

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #33,552 of 65,702
  I use a very thin craft knife, had to change the blades 3 times for each cups.  I got the info on how to remove the drivers from wood cups on this thread about a year ago IIRC, the poster said he used a thin surgical scalpel so I figured the thin craft knife would also work.

Thanks, David.
I guess its a much harder glue than the hot glue used in the SR models, so heating it with a blow dryer sounds out of the question. What type of glue did you use to reassemble?

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #33,553 of 65,702

Thanks, David.
I guess its a much harder glue than the hot glue used in the SR models, so heating it with a blow dryer sounds out of the question. What type of glue did you use to reassemble?
I also liberated the drivers on a ps500 a few months ago. I believe I got most of the glue off by peeling it with my finger nail. Grado uses Elmer's wood glue. I used it when I reassembled it and I also used it on my Magnum V7 build to glue my aluminum cups to mahogany sleeves. It cured same as Grados do.

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #33,554 of 65,702
  Thanks, David.

Hi Joseph,
It was done out of necessity, my friend had run over the cable of her RS2e with her office chair so it needed to be fixed.  I actually tried to see if it was hot glue at first, cut a piece off and used a heat gun and it didn't melt, asked on this thread and the person with the scalpel idea said it was wood glue which makes sense since you wouldn't want hot glue next to the driver which might damage it.
I used a latex wood glue when re-installing the driver which looks very much like the original.  I'm probably going to do the removable cables on my RS2e in the future since the original cable it just too heavy and short for me.

Oct 9, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #33,555 of 65,702

I also liberated the drivers on a ps500 a few months ago. I believe I got most of the glue off by peeling it with my finger nail. Grado uses Elmer's wood glue. I used it when I reassembled it and I also used it on my Magnum V7 build to glue my aluminum cups to mahogany sleeves. It cured same as Grados do.

Hi Joseph,
It was done out of necessity, my friend had run over the cable of her RS2e with her office chair so it needed to be fixed.  I actually tried to see if it was hot glue at first, cut a piece off and used a heat gun and it didn't melt, asked on this thread and the person with the scalpel idea said it was wood glue which makes sense since you wouldn't want hot glue next to the driver which might damage it.
I used a latex wood glue when re-installing the driver which looks very much like the original.  I'm probably going to do the removable cables on my RS2e in the future since the original cable it just too heavy and short for me.

Thank you both for the info.
@wormsdriver…even more interesting that you liberated the PS500 being it has a wood driver housing.
Is the wood driver housing as thick as the plastic driver housing like on the SR/RS2 models, or does it have a very thin/fragile wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back