Grado Fan Club!
Sep 30, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #33,496 of 65,858
  So I've heard of this grattle thing. How much of a problem is this, and how easy is it to remedy? Any case recommendations?

I believe it's just a case of dust getting into the driver. I have no data to back me up.

I do have grattle-less PS1000 and RS1.

I once did have grattle on my PS1000, which i took apart and carefully vacuumed from the back of the driver. no more grattle.

Oct 1, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #33,499 of 65,858
  Ask Grado if they modded it.
Looks kind of funny to me, and I never heard of Grado modding anything for anyone before, but that doesn't mean that they don't do mods either.

could be that grado replaced the drivers for some reason, but 5 hours of use, yet no box?

maybe it's just me but i keep the box of €200+ devices that have resale value.

Oct 1, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #33,501 of 65,858
Cups look a weird color to me also...unless it is the light.

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #33,505 of 65,858
  Could they have been sent in for repair and were then outfitted with the "e" series drivers since original ones might not be available anymore? 

Hi David,

Do you mind if I ask you some things about your modded Grados?

Do you just mod the cups or do you change the driver also? My question mainly is, does non-grado drivers have that emotional vocal sound like normal Grado drivers?
I'm not up-to-date on modded drivers but I know there are Epsilon, Magnum, and one other thing Nord (Nhorth?)-something. Which ones, if any, that you have any experience with, and does it have that emotional vocal sound like a normal Grado?

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #33,506 of 65,858
  Could they have been sent in for repair and were then outfitted with the "e" series drivers since original ones might not be available anymore? 

I guess so? But still, the color of the cups and the print just doesn't look correct to me…but as @whirlwind mentioned, it could be the lighting. I would still contact Grado before bidding/buying.

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #33,507 of 65,858
Maybe, it's a one of a kind....like a unicorn running in the wild :), perhaps a mistake or from a a piece of wood that was just that color. It could be that someone took a 60 series HP and modded to look like a RS.

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #33,508 of 65,858

Hi David,

Do you mind if I ask you some things about your modded Grados?

Do you just mod the cups or do you change the driver also? My question mainly is, does non-grado drivers have that emotional vocal sound like normal Grado drivers?
I'm not up-to-date on modded drivers but I know there are Epsilon, Magnum, and one other thing Nord (Nhorth?)-something. Which ones, if any, that you have any experience with, and does it have that emotional vocal sound like a normal Grado?

With my 225e I took the driver out and put them in wood cups but have since returned them back to the plastic cups, the cups are slightly modded with dynamat around the chamber and sorbothane on the back of the driver and there is some felt on the back of the button.  My 225i is in rosewood cups, dynamat in the RS style cups, sorbothane on the back of the driver and 1 extra vent hole opened to give a slight boost to the bass.  My 60i is in GS style walnut cups, dynamat in the cups and on the back of the driver and 3 vent holes opened.  While they retain the Grado house sound its refined and quite a bit better detailed and extended in the bass.

I haven't tried the latest V7 Magnum but I've heard the V6 which I consider quite good and would take it over the Nhoord based on audio memory which is not that great so YMMV.  I think the ypsilon is the best driver for the sound that I like, very dynamic with good extension both low and high and I think due to the more balanced sound they are more emotionally involving to me.  If I were to listen to both a RS2e and the ypsilon I would always take the ypsilon, it has better bass, a better balanced frequency response and is more dynamic, only down side is it does not have the sound stage and is not as smooth in the highs as the RS2e, it comes down to your preference.

If you want more info send a PM

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #33,510 of 65,858
I often grumble about my 225e and how I find them not quite right for me. However last night after not having used them for a couple of weeks they knocked my socks off.

I played Tchaikovsky - Ballet Suites (Swan Lake, The Nutcracker Suite, and The Sleeping Beauty. Conductor: Karajan, ensemble Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.)

The 225e were rocking. Instrument placement, tone, everything, was so on point. I followed up with Beethoven's 6th Symphony, The Pastoral Symphony. (Again Karajan conducting.) I know that piece and recording very well. It was less of a surprise compared to the Ballet Suites, but it was still perfect.

I know my Chord Mojo has a lot to do with it. However the 225e really took me by surprise with the Tchaikovsky music that I did not know so well.

(I heard another recording by a more recent conductor that is practically identical. Klaus Tennstedt conductor London Philharmonic Orchestra. https://www.lpo.org.uk/recordings-and-gifts/4439-0085-tennstedt-beethoven-6.html With this version being a more recent recording, it's likely to sound clearer and better in comparison. My copy of the Karajan is a fraction quiet.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back