Grado Fan Club!
May 10, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #31,936 of 65,624
  That's odd. Grado never does marketing, and as far as I knew, weren't big on going to shows. Would be good to hear from your buddy the circumstances (whose booth, what gear, etc, etc...).

Not mainstream marketing, but their presence on social media is huge and effective. And as someone is quite familiar with journalism, I think they definitely have some ties with those magazines they appear on.

May 10, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #31,937 of 65,624
Maybe maple is the new wood of choice after the GH-1. It sure does sound beautiful. Here's to hoping I am ahead of the curve as Fleasbaby is very kindly making me a set of GS1000 cups from maple.

May 10, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #31,938 of 65,624

The cat will be 18 on the 4th of July even though it was the Grado Signature.

Let me get this straight, so your cat chewed your ''true
wink.gif
, limited edition'', HP1000's Signature cable, and you let it live!

Please tell me that it's only because you're waiting for your axe swigning shoulder's tendonitis to heel.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Let me reassure those who don't know me, I was just kidding with that axe thing, it's way too messy, trust me.
wink.gif

By the way 18 for a cat, isn't that like 153 in human years?
eek.gif

May 10, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #31,939 of 65,624
Not mainstream marketing, but their presence on social media is huge and effective. And as someone is quite familiar with journalism, I think they definitely have some ties with those magazines they appear on.

That's true...I hit submit on that post and then reflected on how things have changed since young John showed up on the scene...

Maybe maple is the new wood of choice after the GH-1. It sure does sound beautiful. Here's to hoping I am ahead of the curve as Fleasbaby is very kindly making me a set of GS1000 cups from maple.

Wood arrived in this evenings mail run :). It's a rather nice piece, custom cut by my supplier...

May 11, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #31,941 of 65,624
yup. Grado is huge at marketing. they just don't use the 15 minutes of commercials or busstops to advertise their headphones.

May 11, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #31,942 of 65,624
Potential new member of the Grado club, here. I'm looking at the GS1000e and the PS1000e. I don't have local shops to test them out at, so I'm thinking of trying the lending library from the cable company.

Apart from that, I'm curious to know if there are any Grado buying tips I should be aware of? I've read a little bit about some QC issues with Grado and wonder how much a problem that really is, and if so, are some dealers in the USA better to work with than others if there are issues?

Many thanks for any potential insights...

May 11, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #31,944 of 65,624
From TTVJ:

The preeminent luthiers, Stradivarius and Guarnerius used a combination of woods to craft violins and cellos that have become legendary and well as priceless.

This tradition of using different woods is found in the crafting of many wood bodied musical instruments, such as guitars and pianos, made today.

With the unique experience that John Grado has in designing and manufacturing headphones with wood, the GS2000e becomes possible.

The GS2000e is a hybrid wood enclosure.
The outer enclosure is crafted from Mahogany.
The inner enclosure is crafted from Maple.

A new purpose built 50 mm driver was developed for the GS2000e. This driver is based upon the improvements designed into the “e” series drivers.

This powerful combination of design considerations results in a headphone of sheer musical ability and a full frequency voice that will delight the most demanding music aficionados.

A 4 pin XLR balance cable option is available for an additional $170!

Note the lack of protrusion of the 50 mm driver above the wood edge! Wooden it be mind-blowing if they also had burned them in for at least 300 hours prior to sale!? Those 50 mm drivers in the RS1e, PS1000e, and GS1000e REALLY benefit from burn-in.

Comparison of same pair of GS1000e to Grado HP1000 over 13 months (> 250 hrs of use)

Also available at 4ourears.com (Grado's own store).

May 11, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #31,945 of 65,624

That's odd. Grado never does marketing, and as far as I knew, weren't big on going to shows. Would be good to hear from your buddy the circumstances (whose booth, what gear, etc, etc...).

Yep, and they also release "limited editions" 

May 11, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #31,947 of 65,624
Todd has posted here
www.head-fi.org/t/807898/new-grado-gs2000e-headphone-ttvjaudio#post_12574074

I just wonder if the maple is leftover from the limited edition GH 1????

And new texta blue color drivers..
:)

May 11, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #31,949 of 65,624
May 11, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #31,950 of 65,624
  Please does anyone know if there was ever a GS1000 and a GS1000i. I mean if someone is looking for a GS1000i on ebay, how can we distinguish if it is an 'i'?

It's easy to recognise an Prestige Series vs a Prestige Series 'i'. However I am not familiar with the GS Reference Series.

Just to be clear, I've bought my GS1000 when they first came out, back in 2006. When the i came out in 2009 my dealer lended me a pair for 3 days.

As Jay said, the GS1000 has the 4 conductors cable, while the e version has 8 conductiors. Aside for the cable size, they look identical.

Soundwise, the GS1000 has a bigger soundstage, and a bit more treble presence, they also a bit more ''air'' around the instruments.
They were my go to headphones for listening to big venue recordings like my concert DVDs.

The GS1000i have a bit more bass extension, and a smoother overall sound signature. If I had to guess, I'd say that 9 persons out of 10 prefer the i version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back