Grado Fan Club!
Jun 20, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #25,861 of 66,264
  Model number is the same, but they are dfferent versions... Parrot Zik original and Zik 2.0; RS1 and RS1i, 325i, 325is, and 325e.

But then I do have at least 6 each of iPod earbuds and iPod ear pods! (different beasts!)

okay okay I get you! I mean, that doesn't seem that ridiculous to me, its nice to have options and as much as we would all love for sound quality and headphone quality to be a simple hierarchical and linear relation... it isn't. The more I listen to these gs1000's, the more things I love about them... but at the same time... the more I miss the things my rs2e's could do that the gs1000's can't 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 20, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #25,862 of 66,264
With 13 Grado headphones with duplicate models, you can compare each to the other to come up with great 4-dimensional plots to baffle yourself with and amaze your friends (link in my signature "4D graphic compare..." tells how this came to be):

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #25,863 of 66,264
  I hate this thread for introducing me to the idea that I could ever want to own more than one pair of headphones at a time ._____. 

Don't do it man, or you'll end up like me!...or worse!, you'll end up like kayandjohn!.

Just look at our sigs, I mean, can't you tell there's something seriously wrong with us!.
eek.gif

The worst of it is that, we can actually come up with surprisignly good reasons to justify ourselves to others as to why we have so many. In fact, I have gotten so good at it, that even I, am srtarting to believe that I actually need yet another pair of headphones.
rolleyes.gif

Seriously though, the way I see it, as long as I have food in my fridge, a roof over my head, some clothes on my back, and my cats are fed once in a while
wink.gif
, I say that there are worst ways to spend disposable income. You see, I told you I was good.
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #25,864 of 66,264

Don't do it man, or you'll end up like me!...or worse!, you'll end up like kayandjohn!.

Just look at our sigs, I mean, can't you tell there's something seriously wrong with us!.
eek.gif

The worst of it is that, we can actually come up with surprisignly good reasons to justify ourselves to others as to why we have so many. In fact, I have gotten so good at it, that even I, am srtarting to believe that I actually need yet another pair of headphones.
rolleyes.gif

Seriously though, the way I see it, as long as I have food in my fridge, a roof over my head, some clothes on my back, and my cats are fed once in a while
wink.gif
, I say that there are worst ways to spend disposable income. You see, I told you I was good.
biggrin.gif

As a public service, I offer my post of almost a year ago, Why I Need New Headphones -- 26 Battle-Tested Excuses.

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #25,865 of 66,264
lol 
tongue.gif

...I've been thinking bout those rs1 w/button as my next pair... and have totally convinced myself at this point that its actually a net positive on account of them being hard to find so if I marry myself to the idea of owning them next.... then that'll prevent me from getting anything else in the meantime (yikes!)

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #25,867 of 66,264
hi guys, sorry to bother you all.but i have a question. if you have to choose 1 grado headphone, what would it be? rs1,hp1k,ps1k? thanks before

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #25,868 of 66,264
Originally Posted by stacker45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both of my LD 1+ currently have the Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV, and I think that women's voices have an almost liquid sound to them, and they're relatively inexpensive.

I don't think that my post would be complete if I didn't stray off topic a bit, so here's a pic of my geriatric cat, Charlot,  lounging on the patio with his front paws crossed.

Did you ever try the oft-recommended EI Yugoslavia 6hm5 Stacker?
I'm in between one of those two tubes as my first tube upgrade...

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #25,869 of 66,264
  Grado RS2i vs. RS2e

Recalling that it was the Grado RS2i that scored the highest in my comparison of my 13 Grado headphones on 10 acoustic features (see link in my signature line), I went to my local Grado dealer, Overture Audio, today with my RS2i in hand to compare it to their RS2e.

I love my RS2i, but when I plugged a GS1000e into my Grado playback chain, I was blown away. I've been spending like a drunkin' sailor on electronics, but my next set of cans is a GS1Ke.

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #25,870 of 66,264
hi guys, sorry to bother you all.but i have a question. if you have to choose 1 grado headphone, what would it be? rs1,hp1k,ps1k? thanks before

That is not an easy question to answer.
Depends what your preferences are in sound reproduction as each Grado caters for different styles of sound. Also budget is another factor.

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #25,872 of 66,264
That is not an easy question to answer.
Depends what your preferences are in sound reproduction as each Grado caters for different styles of sound. Also budget is another factor.

honestly i'm not really sure what is my preference, i just curious about those ps1k and hp1k. it's been 9 years since i fell in love with grado.i have grado sr60, sr100 and other headphones.in the past couple of years i've been using mb quart 85 as my primary listening, i love it.but lately i dont really have much time to listen on headphone so i purchased shure se535 and then se846, however just recently i've got a good deal on rs1. and it just remind of those sweet grado's sound. and then the curiosity just hit me again about all other headphones, especially grado. so yeah,i just thought if i can have 1 grado headphone, what would it be...

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #25,873 of 66,264
  Grado RS2i vs. RS2e

Recalling that it was the Grado RS2i that scored the highest in my comparison of my 13 Grado headphones on 10 acoustic features (see link in my signature line), I went to my local Grado dealer, Overture Audio, today with my RS2i in hand to compare it to their RS2e.

Remember that in nearly all cases, folks prefer the -e version to the -i version of a Grado headphone.  The only exception seems to be the RS1i vs. RS1e, where the RS1i is preferred, and maybe the PS1000 vs. the PS1000e, where preference seems to be about 50-50.

Anyway, my goal was to see if I really had the highest scoring Grado with my RS2i, or if the RS2e outscored it.

Results, briefly:

1. RS2e was a bit more transparent;
  2. RS2e gave better positional resolution... instruments were slightly more tightly localized, with "air" between them, than with the RS2i.'
  3. RS2e seemed to give slightly better bass, though in my test of subbass impact, the RS1e and RS1i were tied... perhaps a bit more mid bass on the RS2e;
  4. All other features seemed really close, i.e., tie (soundstage, drum twang, finger impact on bass string, ability to discern added chord upon full orchestral/organ sustained chord, shaker variation, etc.)

So in short, the RS2e was a bit better than my highest-scoring RS2i.  My RS2i is broken in; the RS2e was new in the demo area of the audio store, so over time, the RS2e would likely improve further.

Darn!  Gotta get one (and I SO wanted to eat next month instead of buying headphones!)

It may be a while before i get my next Grado, but as of now, I am leaning towards the RS2e or a used pair of RS1i

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #25,874 of 66,264

PS1000 for digital sources

RS1 (classic) for analogue sources. But with a RA-1 amp.

Jun 21, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #25,875 of 66,264
PS1000 for digital sources

RS1 (classic) for analogue sources. But with a RA-1 amp.

So pleased to see the RA1 getting some much-deserved, long-awaited love!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back