Grado Fan Club!
Jun 21, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #25,876 of 65,796
PS1000 for digital sources

RS1 (classic) for analogue sources. But with a RA-1 amp.

So pleased to see the RA1 getting some much-deserved, long-awaited love!

People looked at the parts instead of what it is when combined.

RA1 is perfect for the RS1 and i'm happy i got one.

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #25,879 of 65,796

that's really interesting answer. btw is there any difference in sound between ra-1 battery version and ac version? and for rs-1 (classic), do you use flat pad or bowl pad ?

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #25,880 of 65,796

that's really interesting answer. btw is there any difference in sound between ra-1 battery version and ac version?

The previous owner modded my RA-1 to be AC, it gave a humming noise. I since turned it back into a battery powered one, no more humming.

Now i don't know if the one with the Grado adaptor has the same issue, but overall battery powered devices should have a cleaner sound.

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #25,881 of 65,796
what pad do you use for your rs-1? flat or bowl pad?

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #25,883 of 65,796
what pad do you use for your rs-1? flat or bowl pad?

Bowls. I have some 3rd party ones, which i used to like but now think are too soft, so now i use Grado ones (switch them between my ps1000 and RS1)

I still want to try flats, but i think it might make them tio bassy.

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #25,886 of 65,796
Bowls. I have some 3rd party ones, which i used to like but now think are too soft, so now i use Grado ones (switch them between my ps1000 and RS1)

I still want to try flats, but i think it might make them tio bassy.

I feel the same way about my 325es. I'm really tempted to try out some earzonk g cushs

flats increased the bass quantity, cuts the airy treble, and overall make 325e immensely more comfortable to me.
For vocals though, L-cush is still the way to go. I don't know really... I'm a small-stature Asian, but somehow the 325e driver hit my upper-ear curvy-part. It's sort of hurt with the L cush.
No complain as it is ignorable when I listen to music from them but flats just eliminates that problem. A good recommendation really.

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #25,888 of 65,796

Is there such a thing as analogue sources anymore? Even 99% of vinyl is either recorded and/or mastered digitally. You may not need a DAC, but one was used at some point to create the record.

I don't just listen to new records, but you have a valid point.

What i really mean is that due to the RIAA curve, vinyl sounds differently from my X5.

This difference is exactly why the RS1 sounds great with vinyl.

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #25,889 of 65,796
Is there such a thing as analogue sources anymore? Even 99% of vinyl is either recorded and/or mastered digitally. You may not need a DAC, but one was used at some point to create the record.

Yes. You're right that it's a tough game to find all-analog music that is modern. But.... Plenty of us have old, original pressing records that were made before digital music was even a thing. This is a safe, sure way to get true analog if that's what you want. Do your homework before you buy though just to make sure you aren't getting something that looks like the original but is newer and cut from digital.

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #25,890 of 65,796
  I gave my LD1+ to my son, I had a few tubes for it, but I really can not recall what they were.....I rolled a few op amps also...again, it was to long ago for me to remember.

HI whirlwind... can I ask you a question?
Between rolling op-amps and rolling tube, which one in your experience yielded you more noticeable SQ / synergy with our Grados?
If I can either get a muses02 or tube upgrades, which one do you think I should prioritize?

I can either afford Muses02 op-amps at $40 or buy 2 tube upgrades. And considering I already own a Magni 2, clarity and neutrality is not exactly the main goal here... I've posted on LDTA : VTRG threads and I have an idea which 2 tube upgrades I'm considering right now. However I still couldn't made up conclusions whether I should prioritize op-amps or tubes upgrades...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back