Grado Fan Club!
Jun 20, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #25,846 of 66,262
  Reading Little Dot Tube-Rolling Thread is bad for my mental health and my financial health.
Or maybe I'm just easily impressed.

God help!!!

Ha ha.

Tube rolling is a lot of fun, and it is great to be able to change the sound for a little something different without having to change amps.

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #25,847 of 66,262
Ha! tomorrow my friend, tomorrow. Saturday nights are pretty much the only time for me to enjoy the home set up, so I look forward to (late) Saturday nights. Oh, and I think I'll start a new tradition for myself. I think I'll try a different beer every week that I've never tried before, or that I don't remember what it tastes like to relax a bit.:p

It's been so long since I enjoyed some cold ones that having a few on my Saturdays can't hurt!:beerchug:  

Congrats on the new house worms!!! The new beer Saturday's sounds like a beautiful tradition, enjoy!!!!:beers:

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #25,849 of 66,262
Jun 20, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #25,852 of 66,262
Currently reading

I will have to check that out when I get some time to read something beside professional literature!!!

He was an original, I love the mathematical precision of his playing, the ability to shoehorn notes where they didn't traditionally fit.

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #25,853 of 66,262
Grado RS2i vs. RS2e

Recalling that it was the Grado RS2i that scored the highest in my comparison of my 13 Grado headphones on 10 acoustic features (see link in my signature line), I went to my local Grado dealer, Overture Audio, today with my RS2i in hand to compare it to their RS2e.

Remember that in nearly all cases, folks prefer the -e version to the -i version of a Grado headphone.  The only exception seems to be the RS1i vs. RS1e, where the RS1i is preferred, and maybe the PS1000 vs. the PS1000e, where preference seems to be about 50-50.

Anyway, my goal was to see if I really had the highest scoring Grado with my RS2i, or if the RS2e outscored it.

Results, briefly:

1. RS2e was a bit more transparent;
  2. RS2e gave better positional resolution... instruments were slightly more tightly localized, with "air" between them, than with the RS2i.'
  3. RS2e seemed to give slightly better bass, though in my test of subbass impact, the RS1e and RS1i were tied... perhaps a bit more mid bass on the RS2e;
  4. All other features seemed really close, i.e., tie (soundstage, drum twang, finger impact on bass string, ability to discern added chord upon full orchestral/organ sustained chord, shaker variation, etc.)

So in short, the RS2e was a bit better than my highest-scoring RS2i.  My RS2i is broken in; the RS2e was new in the demo area of the audio store, so over time, the RS2e would likely improve further.

Darn!  Gotta get one (and I SO wanted to eat next month instead of buying headphones!)

Jun 20, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #25,854 of 66,262
Haha Thnx kayandjohn.
I am listening constantly every day with the rs2i hearing old albums like new again.
I am addicted to its sound.
:)

Here's some smooth Satriani...
[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9nDlnoi9eg[/VIDEO]

Jun 20, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #25,855 of 66,262
  I'm  interested in hearing the RS1 (with buttons) like @stacker45 just purchased thanks too @Kayandjohn. Could either of you give me the info again please?

When I purchased my RS1, they told me that they had two pairs left. I told them ''Grado being Grado, I would really appreciate it if you would send me the best looking of the two''.

I have no way of knowing if they indulged me, but my RS1 are what I would call flawless. Not only by Grado's standards, but by anyone's standards.

My PS1k are still my favorite, buy my old school RS1 are a close second, and with some of my female vocals CDs, namely, acapella songs, I actually reach for my RS1.

At first I figured that they'd get less and less head time as time goes by, and to be honest, they still get about 40% of my total headtime. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that my favorite music involves female vocals, wich happends to be the RS1's specialty.

So basically... lots of people here own the Little Dot i+ at some point.

To all of you that still hang out on this thread...

1) What's your go-to / favorite LD i+ tubes?
2) If you have more than one pair of tubes in your possession, what's your "female-vocals" tubes? so to speak...

I'm narrowing my option to cv4010, 6ak5, 6ZH1P-EV... but would like to hear you guys opinions as to what's your go-to LD i+ tubes...

Both of my LD 1+ currently have the Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV, and I think that women's voices have an almost liquid sound to them, and they're relatively inexpensive.

I don't think that my post would be complete if I didn't stray off topic a bit, so here's a pic of my geriatric cat, Charlot,  lounging on the patio with his front paws crossed.

Jun 20, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #25,857 of 66,262
  I hate this thread for introducing me to the idea that I could ever want to own more than one pair of headphones at a time ._____. 

One is never enough
wink_face.gif

Jun 20, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #25,858 of 66,262
  I hate this thread for introducing me to the idea that I could ever want to own more than one pair of headphones at a time ._____. 

*I* hate this thread for making me think it is OK to have more than one copy of the same model of headphones at the same time (3 Grado SR325, 2 Grado RS1, 2 Parrot Zik).

Jun 20, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #25,859 of 66,262
  *I* hate this thread for making me think it is OK to have more than one copy of the same model of headphones at the same time (3 Grado SR325, 2 Grado RS1, 2 Parrot Zik).

don't even know why I am going to do this to myself.... but what the hell: why would you have more than one of the same model headphone? 

Jun 20, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #25,860 of 66,262

don't even know why I am going to do this to myself.... but what the hell: why would you have more than one of the same model headphone? 

Model number is the same, but they are dfferent versions... Parrot Zik original and Zik 2.0; RS1 and RS1i, 325i, 325is, and 325e.

But then I do have at least 6 each of iPod earbuds and iPod ear pods! (different beasts!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back