Grado Fan Club!
Dec 9, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #20,761 of 65,622
  I am thrilled with my well burned in 325is's and ALO the Island! I was at TAVES here in Toronto and heard all of the Grado
line, and if I had to upgrade would personally get 500e - similar to my 325 is but more spread out sound stage - yet
I love my 325is and feel no need to upgrade...same with the Island. Magical combination with Pure Music on my Macbook Pro Retina!
BTW, getting the best sound for yourself isn't always about spending the most....just getting the best synergy for your taste.

+1
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #20,762 of 65,622
   HD650......they are super comfy.......dark compared to RS1i

They are such a laid back sound that they feel like they can put you to sleep at times.....but yet they sound wonderful.....they are kind of hard to describe.....but they are very good and wont break the bank, either.

+1 ... but be warned, you will need time to acclimate to the HD 650s and you will also need time to go back to Grado (you can't rapidly A/B these cans, trust me).

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #20,764 of 65,622

WOW!
I've been following these HP's, can't believe they went for this much!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-Labs-SR200-The-Prestige-Series-Headphones-/321602500328?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=CZu0gZzPtmFBiYfrNVlAGykoeJo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I can, do my eyes deceive me or are those pink drivers?

Also may not be the right sub forum, but it does just say "Grado fan club"

Scored a Grado Prestige Black on ebay today for $60. Can't wait to get some Grado back in my music chain! I really want to buy some headphones to mod though. Especially with so many off-the-shelf mods available now (instead of making our own wood cups in the garage with a hand drill)
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #20,765 of 65,622
+1 ... but be warned, you will need time to acclimate to the HD 650s and you will also need time to go back to Grado (you can't rapidly A/B these cans, trust me).
Hd650 and Grado's at the same price range are completely different beasts. I hate hd650 on rock and metal, but with Celine Dion they completely beats my rs1i

Dec 10, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #20,766 of 65,622
  The GS1K's arrived tonight, and to my surprise with a tan headband.
I sure hope these sound as sweet as they look for me…letting the WA6 warm up a bit then going for a nice listening stretch!

Congrats Joseph!

I bet they sound wonderful....I got to say though....I in no way agree with terminating this headphone with a 1/8 inch plug....I am thinking you won't see this headphone plugged into too many ipods.  Lord, sometimes the newer generation just don't get it.

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #20,767 of 65,622
  Congrats Joseph!

I bet they sound wonderful....I got to say though....I in no way agree with terminating this headphone with a 1/8 inch plug....I am thinking you won't see this headphone plugged into too many ipods.  Lord, sometimes the newer generation just don't get it.

now, now, maybe its us "old farts" who got it wrong !!

nahhhhhhhhhh, damn kids !  lol

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #20,768 of 65,622

Congrats Joseph!

now, now, maybe its us "old farts" who got it wrong !!

nahhhhhhhhhh, damn kids !  lol

I should have just been quiet.....lol

I hate to rag on the younger generation....I really do.....but man for me to have to use an adapter on my $1000 headphones so I can plug it into my $1000 amp which is terminated in 1/4

Maybe the amps are just wrong  
eek.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #20,769 of 65,622
I should have just been quiet.....lol

I hate to rag on the younger generation....I really do.....but man for me to have to use an adapter on my $1000 headphones so I can plug it into my $1000 amp which is terminated in 1/4

Maybe the amps are just wrong  :eek:

Younger generations too busy to plug in an amp...must enjoy Grados on the go...older generations (bosses) invented multi-tasking, so young ones too busy and stressed...:D

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #20,770 of 65,622
  Congrats Joseph!

Thank you!
Yes they initially sound good too me, much better to me than the (i) series. I listened to them for about 3hrs last night and liked what I heard. I can't wait until later to listen. And your right, these are for listening in the house, not on the go, so they should be terminated in 1/4", I'm very surprised that they are not.  
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #20,771 of 65,622
  Thank you for the congratulations!
How could the 225i be so much???
It is very difficult for me to see the price, is it a misprint???

Lokking carefully... yes, it goes with the RS1i above... my mistake.  But still, $1,188 is awfully expensive for a headphone sold at $700 new.  I get these on the right side of my screen while viewing this page... it extracts products listed in text on the page and posts the amazon price and button to get to amazon's page.

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #20,772 of 65,622
  Discontinued models would often get ridiculous prices on Amazon. I don't know why but it would appear to me as "hey don't even think of buying these here".

The other thing I notice is if I look for Grado models on eBay, for any particular model there are always some listed as "From Korea" or "From Japan."  Right now, for example, it shows a PS1000e fromJjapan for $2,380.00 and one from "Korea, South" at $2,450.89. Wow! The PS1000e at full price in the US is $1,695.00

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #20,773 of 65,622
The other thing I notice is if I look for Grado models on eBay, for any particular model there are always some listed as "From Korea" or "From Japan."  Right now, for example, it shows a PS1000e fromJjapan for $2,380.00 and one from "Korea, South" at $2,450.89. Wow! The PS1000e at full price in the US is $1,695.00

Shipping, plus the Japanese and Koreans spend a lot on hobbies and gadgets. Golf equipment is another example.

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #20,774 of 65,622
Hd650 and Grado's at the same price range are completely different beasts. I hate hd650 on rock and metal, but with Celine Dion they completely beats my rs1i

I agree with you, on the metal part, but classic guitar rock is really sweet on the HD 650s. But, yeah, when it's time for Pantera, it's Grado time 
L3000.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #20,775 of 65,622
  Congrats Joseph!

You know, I recently acquired an NAD D 1050 and it sounds really nice with Grado. I brought it to a meet and it matched up extremely well with the GS1K, which is why those cans are on my next-to-buy list. The DAC/amp comes with a 3.5mm jack. I think this is a trend that we will see more of ... for better of worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back