Grado Fan Club!
Jul 15, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #16,906 of 65,687
and your initial impressions were enough for me to just order the gs1000e from todd !

Lol!! Jay, you're awesome... You may be the first guy to ever be medically diagnosed with DT's from Grado withdrawal :p. I was hoping you'd pick those up, because I had a few moments where my resolution not to buy any more @#$ headphones for a while waivered, and I thought if you would just be the guy to pick up the GS1Ke, I could hear them at the Nashville meet without having to buy 'em first! Bless you, Jay!!

beerchug.gif

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #16,908 of 65,687
The rs1e is vastly more fun the the magnum imho...

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #16,909 of 65,687
Scratch that rs1 anything

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #16,910 of 65,687
I agree, and disagree. Simply, people who play a musical instrument have a skill that computer/virtual synthesizer producers lack, and visa-versa. I guess the real issue I have with "artists" these days is that they have become so disposable, and that the music is just a fling for us to bob our heads while we drive to work. There is no more timeless music being created, only "timeless" shenanigans that these so-called "artists" do to get attention and publicity. The attention has turned away from music, which is in essence the core of the art. That is why John Denver disliked the concept of Music Videos, because he said it distracts the audience from the music, and implants images in their minds, instead of letting them imagine. That is how "artists" have become so disposable. Or maybe I am just not making any sense... :S

This is simply not true. There are lots of timeless artists and timeless music out there it's just not on the radio. If you take your time and explore a bit I'm sure you will find some. I would say with recording costs going down and digital distribution there is more good music out there than ever before. There's a lot more mediocre music too but you just have to learn how to sift through it.

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #16,911 of 65,687
This is off topic....but does anybody here have the Pink Floyd Disovery box set....I am just wondering how well the remasters are

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #16,912 of 65,687
This is simply not true. There are lots of timeless artists and timeless music out there it's just not on the radio. If you take your time and explore a bit I'm sure you will find some. I would say with recording costs going down and digital distribution there is more good music out there than ever before. There's a lot more mediocre music too but you just have to learn how to sift through it.

I simply cannot keep up with all the great music of the past 5 years alone! For heavy music, this is a golden, make that titanium age. In Prog there is Porcupine Tree and countless others. Blues, jazz, ambient, drone, dub, electronica, country, bluegrass...

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #16,913 of 65,687

I totally agree, I was speaking more about the "top 40" stuff being spoon-fed to people.

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #16,914 of 65,687

Lol!! Jay, you're awesome... You may be the first guy to ever be medically diagnosed with DT's from Grado withdrawal :p. I was hoping you'd pick those up, because I had a few moments where my resolution not to buy any more @#$ headphones for a while waivered, and I thought if you would just be the guy to pick up the GS1Ke, I could hear them at the Nashville meet without having to buy 'em first! Bless you, Jay!!

beerchug.gif

hey, i'll gladly take this one for the team !!

hopefully i won't sell them before then !

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #16,915 of 65,687

beerchug.gif

hey, i'll gladly take this one for the team !!

hopefully i won't sell them before then !

o2smile.gif

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #16,916 of 65,687
I simply cannot keep up with all the great music of the past 5 years alone! For heavy music, this is a golden, make that titanium age. In Prog there is Porcupine Tree and countless others. Blues, jazz, ambient, drone, dub, electronica, country, bluegrass...

That's how I see Prog also: "PT and countless others" 
biggrin.gif

I'm still sifting through the 70's and can't keep up also. 

On a more serious note, there's indeed loads of new great music coming out or yet to be discovered. The Classical catalog is endless and Jazz will never grow old. Rock will keep on shifting colors and tone with many sub genres ever developing. Listening now to the Oblivion (TES Game) soundtrack and loving it... is it Classical lol?

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #16,917 of 65,687
I received the WA6 yesterday, unpacked it, put the wood side panels/tube plate/bezels and transformer cover…but this time I took off the aluminum transformer cover and just put the wood cover on the transformer for a lower/sleeker look…popped in the 596/NOS Sylvania 1962 6SN7WGTA's and burned-in/listened with the RS1i's for 4hrs last night! Feels great to have my old set-up back…just have to wait for the amp to pass the 200hr mark for that pure bliss sound that I had/love.

A pic or two would be very very interesting. Especially of that fancy 596 rectifier. :)

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #16,918 of 65,687
Ha i just realized I never posted my review in the Grado e series thread or the rs1 thread... Oh well. Lol

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #16,920 of 65,687
Around A = 438 ish. A musical "step" doesn't correspond exactly to 10 kHz, but you've got the idea. You can actually measure it. Buy a tuner at a music shop and find test tones tracks. Then measure them. The reason a lot of monitors or IEMs for performers sound less warm is because they're tuned more flat than other gear. So they sound more clinical, give you more bare bones feedback. Any pitch won't be perfectly reproduced on a transducer, but you have some control over whether it's higher or lower. It's all about driver tuning. Most instruments never even hit a pitch perfectly.

Ultimately it also explains why some cans that are very neutral sound bland while other neutral cans sound great (in addition to other aspects of implementation) and some that measure horribly (like Grados) sound great.

Sort of puzzled how an A=440Hz can end up as A=438Hz, unless there is inaccuracy in the sampling vs. the playback clock rates.  No amount of filtering will change a 440Hz tone to another frequency fundamentallike 438 Hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back