Grado Fan Club!
Jul 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #16,891 of 65,691
Jul 15, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #16,892 of 65,691
Hi all!

Just a quick update on the GS1Ke's.  I got a replacement set today, as the first set had a faulty driver- taken care of by TTVJ and Grado very promptly.

The first thing I hear on the new set is a very low-level distortion.  Very deep in the track, but there.  The 225i's could not detect it, and I could not hear it on the Alpha Dogs unless I turned up the volume on a bass-heavy track.  At first I thought it was another defective GS.

It turns out that the digital coax going from my Oppo into the Bifrost Uber was barely in place going into the Bifrost.  I can only guess how long it's been like that, but the GS's revealed it immediately, and at very low volume:  65 dB, or conversation level.

In short, these are absolutely the most revealing transducers I have ever heard. Whether I like them or not, buy them or not, these cans are no joke.

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #16,893 of 65,691
Do I need to look at her discography?

Madredeus is a mix of classical, portuguese traditional with a pinch of pop. They have a vast discography and quite eclectic sounding. Her singing is to die for, as well as the musicians who are very skilled - not pop chart / MTV material lol

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #16,894 of 65,691
Jul 15, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #16,895 of 65,691
What are saying, is there something about her appearance I should know about?

Nothing about appearance, but just listen to this track :)

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #16,896 of 65,691
And now I am listening to this, just got the album FLAC. This! is music my friends!

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #16,897 of 65,691
Musicians are the last few who can still know how an actual instrument sounds. Musicians are a dying breed being replaced by garage band dubstep insta geniuses. 

This concludes my rant of the day :blink:

I don't think that's true actually, there's plenty if good 'uns out there! I'm only 19 and I'm attending a conservatory and negotiating a deal with a record label, etc. the digital tools of recording have gotten easier and more powerful than ever. As artists we can really have a ton of freedom to do some real cool stuff. By the same token the "crap" that's always been there is easier to make and more accessible than ever (thank the Internet)
IMO if people are making music and it makes them happy, and if it makes them money because others enjoy it even if it's goofy (some music is meant to be laughed at, or along with) then even better! It doesn't mean I have to pay attention or listen to it.

Musical standards I think have become more polarized (some people like Janelle Monae, Kimbra, Cecil Mclotin Salvant, etc) are conservatory trained and super skilled. Many (Mumford and some, imagine dragons, etc) aren't but are catchy, etc. who's music will last? I dunno. But I know what I prefer to listen to. I would argue that untrained virtuosos are rarer than before because of the nature of the industry but they still exist (Charlie Winston, Nick Waterhouse, Melody Gardot, etc)
That's just my two cents on it. The main danger I see is not lowering of standards, but new models of consuming music. Napster cut the recording business from a 10 billion to a 2 billion dollar business. And then you have to consider inflation as sales fall. There will always be touring groups, but you have to get popular to make money touring. If the music industry doesn't make high-fidelity profitable, we may see superstar groups and artists (Katy perry, justin bieber, Taylor swift, etc) churning out hits at set intervals, while some other groups are signed for the older crowd, and a lot of other stuff joins classical and jazz as audiophile-exclusive records with niche appeal. That's dramatic of course, but it is interesting to see where things are headed.

On the idea that musicians "know" real sound I have this to say: no amount of measurements or charts will ever tell you the tonality of a speaker. Measurements are important and helpful, but one thing never touched on is tonal tuning. Is the headphone slightly sharp? Is it pitched flat? Does it play an A at 440khz or 444, or 438? Most headphones that are warm sounding and super popular are slightly sharp, and for that reason, no good for mastering, monitoring, etc. a good musician will notice that the can sounds out of tune. Just throwing that out there, because it's not often mentioned. (I own Grados for the record. Tonality is spectacularly accurate, partly because they're tuned by ear, even though they're not as technical or "neutral" as other cans. For example: B&W makes great speakers, but they sound cold and sterile to me. I took a tuner and measure some test tones on an 801 nautilus, and it was about an eight step sharp. No thank you)

Just my take on it, sorry for the long post.

Happy Listening

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #16,898 of 65,691
  Musicians are the last few who can still know how an actual instrument sounds. Musicians are a dying breed being replaced by garage band dubstep insta geniuses. 

This concludes my rant of the day 
blink.gif

I agree, and disagree. Simply, people who play a musical instrument have a skill that computer/virtual synthesizer producers lack, and visa-versa. I guess the real issue I have with "artists" these days is that they have become so disposable, and that the music is just a fling for us to bob our heads while we drive to work. There is no more timeless music being created, only "timeless" shenanigans that these so-called "artists" do to get attention and publicity. The attention has turned away from music, which is in essence the core of the art. That is why John Denver disliked the concept of Music Videos, because he said it distracts the audience from the music, and implants images in their minds, instead of letting them imagine. That is how "artists" have become so disposable. Or maybe I am just not making any sense... :S

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #16,899 of 65,691
TPM, I understand and agree with where your coming from. Personally I like to support our local musicians here the Mpls/St.Paul Twin Cities area, and check out some of the seriously professional acts, mostly diehard jazz cats, that come through town from time to time.

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #16,900 of 65,691
@ThePianoMan & Loving[MAX]Sound : It was just a little rant on the artist vs musician thingie. Didn't mean to really generate a reaction. We all love and like what we love and like :)

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #16,901 of 65,691
  Hi all!

Just a quick update on the GS1Ke's.  I got a replacement set today, as the first set had a faulty driver- taken care of by TTVJ and Grado very promptly.

The first thing I hear on the new set is a very low-level distortion.  Very deep in the track, but there.  The 225i's could not detect it, and I could not hear it on the Alpha Dogs unless I turned up the volume on a bass-heavy track.  At first I thought it was another defective GS.

It turns out that the digital coax going from my Oppo into the Bifrost Uber was barely in place going into the Bifrost.  I can only guess how long it's been like that, but the GS's revealed it immediately, and at very low volume:  65 dB, or conversation level.

In short, these are absolutely the most revealing transducers I have ever heard. Whether I like them or not, buy them or not, these cans are no joke.

and your initial impressions were enough for me to just order the gs1000e from todd !

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #16,902 of 65,691
   Is the headphone slightly sharp? Is it pitched flat? Does it play an A at 440khz or 444, or 438? Most headphones that are warm sounding and super popular are slightly sharp, and for that reason, no good for mastering, monitoring, etc. a good musician will notice that the can sounds out of tune. Just throwing that out there, because it's not often mentioned. (I own Grados for the record. Tonality is spectacularly accurate, partly because they're tuned by ear, even though they're not as technical or "neutral" as other cans. For example: B&W makes great speakers, but they sound cold and sterile to me. I took a tuner and measure some test tones on an 801 nautilus, and it was about an eight step sharp. No thank you)

Lots of thoughtful ideas, TPM.

I have never encountered this description of transducers being able to affect the actual pitch of a tone.  Since you claim that the tonality of a speaker can't be measured, I guess you're off the hook for technical proof.  Any guesses as to why this might be so, a speaker (headphone or loudspeaker) being able to affect pitch.  Your example would have the B&W 801 Nautilus reproducing A=440 as 448 or am I missing something?

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #16,904 of 65,691
  I got to use the Sr225 pinks for a couple hours last night, very good for their price point, but I've been spoiled by my Rs1, so I'm not sure if I'll keep 'em since they might end up not getting much use.

In the mean time, my Ps500 are going on the chopping block soon, pm me if interested. **Special Grado Fan Club discount!** 
wink.gif
 U.S. only please

I totally understand what you are saying.

The 225i is a fantastic can, but as I listened to it the other night for a few hours, and while it does have some characteristics of the RS1.....it is in no way even remotely close imho.....after listening to the rs1i for a great while....it is very easy to tell the difference.

Hi all!

and your initial impressions were enough for me to just order the gs1000e from todd !

Congrats, Jay!

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #16,905 of 65,691
  I received the WA6 yesterday, unpacked it, put the wood side panels/tube plate/bezels and transformer cover…but this time I took off the aluminum transformer cover and just put the wood cover on the transformer for a lower/sleeker look…popped in the 596/NOS Sylvania 1962 6SN7WGTA's and burned-in/listened with the RS1i's for 4hrs last night! Feels great to have my old set-up back…just have to wait for the amp to pass the 200hr mark for that pure bliss sound that I had/love.

Good for you Joseph, I am happy for you that you are back to where you want to be.  
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back