Good IEMs under $30?
Jul 11, 2012 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

CaptainSourMilk

New Head-Fier
Yes I know that there are about a hundred of these threads, but in each one the suggestions that are given are all completely different and have only given me more options to choose from, making finding the right pair more difficult and time consuming. I was hoping that you guys could help me out on this... I listen to a lot of Rock and Alternative, so I guess I want good mids. Also I usually play my music through my tiny ipod nano 6th gen, so low ohms would be nice too. I can live without track control, but it would be awesome to have it. Right now I'm considering something from meelectronics. 
                                                                         Thanks! ​

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 39
I highly recommend the Sony MDR-EX58V. They sound pretty amazing after a bit of a burn in.

I know these are on ear/over ear headphones that I'm comparing them too, but these are all the other headphones I've heard and they're better IMO than all of them.

Beats by Dr Dre Studio (Obviously)
Beats by Dr Dre Solo
Beats by Dre Tours
Bose Quietcomfort 15
Bose AE2
Sennheiser HD 218
V-Moda Crossfade LP
V-Moda Vibe Duo2

The only problem I've had with these are the cable coming apart near the plug and exposing the wire after 5-6 months of use, but for $20 you should expect that to happen.

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 39
For Christmas I gave my wife and daughter the MEElectronics M6 (currently under $20 at Newegg).  They really like them and I was quite impressed with the sound too.  It has a good cable with little microphonics and comes with a large assortment of tips (I'm using a pair with my Triple.Fi 10's).

-Eric

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #5 of 39
I would also agree the M6's are a great choice. They were my first set of IEMS, and I feel that they are one of the best choices for under 30$.

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 39
Easy.  Phillips SHE 3580 @ WalMart.  $15.  Done.

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:
IMO Brainwavz > Meelectronics. The Beta, M4, and etc all have mic. versions with a single button that can accept/end calls/ipod control. 

I also agree with this. The M4's go on sale for $28 from time to time and for that price they're hard to beat IMO. However I'm not a fan of the Beta's and hated the sound from them.

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 39
My buddy Joe Bloggs REALLY likes the SHE3850 he has a thread on it and many agree.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/561951/philips-she3580-iem-review-10-giant-killers-er-4p-gathering-dust

I've tried the MP 8320, it's a good IEM for the price but it does not get a buy rating from me. While it does and can be used to teach and give sound that is much more neutral than many, it is not fun at all. It is harsh and gets fatiguing, the body fits well but gets annoying and fatiguing as well with a lackluster cable. 

SoundMagics are also good at this very low price range. The PL11's were what I got for $10(regularly $20) and they were pretty good. Basically at this price range, I don't want a wannabe neutral earbud like the MP8320. The PL11's don't try to be anything it isn't, it has colored sound and hides many audio deficiencies. The bass is a bit muddy but about as tight as the XX's and it doesn't extend well....but it does it's job well. The bass on it don't explode, they are present and are more accentuated than a non bass head might prefer. I'm a bass head so I didn't mind. They worked extremely well with popular mainstream music. Loved them for the price, although if your budget it $30, getting a better one would be better. Sometimes the higher priced series dont always mean better sound, but for SoundMagic, the reviews are consistent with the higher priced earbuds and then IEM's being better than the lower ones.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/597603/new-soundmagic-pl11-review#post_8171683
Here is  my review on them if you want to know more.

Never tried any Meelectronics if you were wondering.

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 39
Meelec M21. they are surprisingly good for rock compared to what I had a chance to audition... it's much better for rock than M6, cause the treble is not harsh like the m6 has...

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #12 of 39
Quote:
I highly recommend the Sony MDR-EX58V. They sound pretty amazing after a bit of a burn in.

I know these are on ear/over ear headphones that I'm comparing them too, but these are all the other headphones I've heard and they're better IMO than all of them.

Beats by Dr Dre Studio (Obviously)
Beats by Dr Dre Solo
Beats by Dre Tours
Bose Quietcomfort 15
Bose AE2
Sennheiser HD 218
V-Moda Crossfade LP
V-Moda Vibe Duo2

The only problem I've had with these are the cable coming apart near the plug and exposing the wire after 5-6 months of use, but for $20 you should expect that to happen.

are you saying the $20 sonys are better than those??

Jul 12, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:
Yes I know that there are about a hundred of these threads, but in each one the suggestions that are given are all completely different and have only given me more options to choose from, making finding the right pair more difficult and time consuming. I was hoping that you guys could help me out on this... I listen to a lot of Rock and Alternative, so I guess I want good mids. Also I usually play my music through my tiny ipod nano 6th gen, so low ohms would be nice too. I can live without track control, but it would be awesome to have it. Right now I'm considering something from meelectronics. 
                                                                         Thanks! ​

I love these under $30 threads.
My picks:
Vsonic GR99-$27 and change from Lend Me Ur Ears
MEE ( in order, I like) CW31-M21-M6

Other people will recommend cheap Philips or Monoprice- Do yourself a favor and don't buy that crap. Seriously!!
Those IEMS are really garbage. Decent for budget beaters, but really crappy.  You already have a set price of $30 and you will get a much better set then the cheapos.
With MEE you will get a superb built and sounding set on the cheap.  I personally like the CW31 the best. They have the Bass punch of the M series line but it's better, tighter and more defined. Plus the mids are sweeter. A tad bit of Warmth but it works well.
The Vsonics are the best of the lot, but only slightly. Head to Head with the CW31, the Vsonics beat them by a hair due to better treble. Either the CW31 or Vsonics you won't feel the need to upgrade for awhile.  If it was me, I'd save another $6 and go for the Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition. Which are better then what I listed and VERY hard to beat at only $36 bucks.
If you're stuck at $30 go for the MEE CW31 or the Vsonic, you'll be happier in the end...

Jul 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:
I love these under $30 threads.
My picks:
Vsonic GR99-$27 and change from Lend Me Ur Ears
MEE ( in order, I like) CW31-M21-M6

Other people will recommend cheap Philips or Monoprice- Do yourself a favor and don't buy that crap. Seriously!!
Those IEMS are really garbage. Decent for budget beaters, but really crappy.  You already have a set price of $30 and you will get a much better set then the cheapos.
With MEE you will get a superb built and sounding set on the cheap.  I personally like the CW31 the best. They have the Bass punch of the M series line but it's better, tighter and more defined. Plus the mids are sweeter. A tad bit of Warmth but it works well.
The Vsonics are the best of the lot, but only slightly. Head to Head with the CW31, the Vsonics beat them by a hair due to better treble. Either the CW31 or Vsonics you won't feel the need to upgrade for awhile.  If it was me, I'd save another $6 and go for the Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition. Which are better then what I listed and VERY hard to beat at only $36 bucks.
If you're stuck at $30 go for the MEE CW31 or the Vsonic, you'll be happier in the end...

Phillips and MP aren't known for audiophileness or anything but, just like any company they do have good ones. Have you ever tried the recommended phillips or the MP8320's? I agree that the majority of their lines suck but the MP8320 is on there for a reason and the Phillips is as well. You are making a judgement based on brand biased. True, a majority of their lines suck, but are you going to forget or disregard a golden egg because the brand sucks? You can't say you will play it safer by going with Vsnoic or Mee, as those brands have good and bad IEM's or earbuds for teh price and same as Phillips except teh ratio of bad to good is high with phillips and MP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back