Good IEMs under $30?
Jul 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #17 of 39
I just remembered this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-245-iems-compared-phonak-pfe-232-added-07-05-12

Now begone OP! 
gs1000.gif

Comparison reviews and posts that compare with a users own OTHER sets are really all that matter. I can keep on saying blah with the 5 or 6 i've tested and we can get some Mee fans in here but that thread has a lot.

Jul 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:
Phillips and MP aren't known for audiophileness or anything but, just like any company they do have good ones. Have you ever tried the recommended phillips or the MP8320's? I agree that the majority of their lines suck but the MP8320 is on there for a reason and the Phillips is as well. You are making a judgement based on brand biased. True, a majority of their lines suck, but are you going to forget or disregard a golden egg because the brand sucks? You can't say you will play it safer by going with Vsnoic or Mee, as those brands have good and bad IEM's or earbuds for teh price and same as Phillips except teh ratio of bad to good is high with phillips and MP.

Yes, check my For Sale threads, those are LONG gone. I jumped on the Hype machine and was let down but at least both only set me back $20.
I've yet to hear one Vsonic that blows..even the cheap GR99 hands a beating to MANY others priced in the same Price range. I wasn't using a Brand Bias, at $30 or under the Philips and MP don't compete with what I listed.  If you have $15 yeah maybe they are OK but once you add double the price they get left behind quite easily. Those sound good for their price, sure but you get what you pay for. If you look at the Negs you'll see.  Joe says the Philips needs EQ'd-Agreed- Cheap build quality, look at the cord.  The MP, The drivers are massive, painful, and the cord..Really? The MP sound like AM radio from a 70's Station Wagon, All Mid Range, with very light Bass and A metallic high end. The Philips are better, with A good Sub-Bass punch with a sucked out mid and pesky highs (V-shaped)...Remember you get what you pay for, If you're broke you grab some Philips off the local Target/Walmart shelve. But the OP has $30 to spend. So there's better.

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:
Yes, check my For Sale threads, those are LONG gone. I jumped on the Hype machine and was let down but at least both only set me back $20.
I've yet to hear one Vsonic that blows..even the cheap GR99 hands a beating to MANY others priced in the same Price range. I wasn't using a Brand Bias, at $30 or under the Philips and MP don't compete with what I listed.  If you have $15 yeah maybe they are OK but once you add double the price they get left behind quite easily. Those sound good for their price, sure but you get what you pay for. If you look at the Negs you'll see.  Joe says the Philips needs EQ'd-Agreed- Cheap build quality, look at the cord.  The MP, The drivers are massive, painful, and the cord..Really? The MP sound like AM radio from a 70's Station Wagon, All Mid Range, with very light Bass and A metallic high end. The Philips are better, with A good Sub-Bass punch with a sucked out mid and pesky highs (V-shaped)...Remember you get what you pay for, If you're broke you grab some Philips off the local Target/Walmart shelve. But the OP has $30 to spend. So there's better.

Of course there's better, I didn't like the MP's as well for teh exact same reasons.

Well, if he wants to max out his budget, go with the wind and follow the recommendation thread!

Jul 13, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #22 of 39
My favorite IEM under $30 is the Panasonic RP-HJE355. It has plenty of detail and a very ergonomic shape, so it fits well and is very comfortable. My second favorite under $30 is the Panasonic RP-HJE450. The HJE450 has more bass slam than the HJE355, however it doesn't have as much detail. It also has a very ergonomic shape. My number three choice under $30 is the JVC HA-FX40. The HA-FX40 has great detail, however it also has treble that is too strong at times(yes, I burned mine in for many hours and the treble is still too strong). These Panasonic IEMs also seem like they may be more durable than the HA-FX40(they have a right angle plug and strain relief on the earbuds that the HA-FX40 lacks).

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Of the cheap sets I've heard, the Panasonic HJE120 and the Ultimate Ears 100 have more balanced sound than the SHE3580

(Red: SHE3580, black: HJE120)

(Red: SHE3580, black: Ultimate Ears 100)

If you'll be nowhere near an EQ I would put either of these phones above the SHE3580 except for SHE3580's much superior subbass extension.  But with EQ I like the SHE3580 better than anything else I have.  Perhaps the EQ profile I made for the SHE3580 is just more perfected than those for other phones?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #24 of 39
The Panasonic RP-HJE355 is so much better than the HJE120. It has much more detail,much less distortion, and is much more sensitive. I guess this is to be expected since it is triple the price($18 vs $6). For around $6 though, the JVC Riptidz sounds so much better than the Panasonic RP-HJE120.

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #25 of 39
Thanks for all the replies guys! I've learned a lot more than I ever expected to! I think I have narrowed it down to either the Meeleectronics m21, Brainwavz M1, or the Vsonic gr99. I prefer a warm and smooth sound and not a V shaped response.
Thanks again guys!

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #26 of 39
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys! I've learned a lot more than I ever expected to! I think I have narrowed it down to either the meepectronics m21, brainwavz beta, or the vsonic gr99. I don't want a V shaped response from my earphone.
Thanks again guys!
PS I would've gone right for the gr06 but I can't find them for sale anywhere.

The GR06s are excellent phones however, they are not under $30.  If you're wondering if the extra 30 beans is worth it?  Absolutely!!!  Enjoy!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VSONIC-GR06-High-Fidelity-Professional-Quality-Stereo-Inner-Ear-Earphones-/380378110428?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item58904d59dc

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #27 of 39
He could always shoot up to $35 bucks and get the Gr02 and be just as happy, or even more then the Gr06..I prefer the 02's more....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VSONIC-GR02-ProII-Silver-Cable-Flagship-Edition-Low-Frequency-IEM-Earphone-/380376622782?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item589036a6be

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vsonic-GR02-Bass-/320936713941?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4ab9519ed5

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:
He could always shoot up to $35 bucks and get the Gr02 and be just as happy, or even more then the Gr06..I prefer the 02's more....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VSONIC-GR02-ProII-Silver-Cable-Flagship-Edition-Low-Frequency-IEM-Earphone-/380376622782?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item589036a6be

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vsonic-GR02-Bass-/320936713941?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4ab9519ed5

He can do that too.  Indeed...I personally just find the fit on the GR02 a bit tedious to fiddle with (I like the sig though).  You prefer the GR02 over GR06?  Just curious is all.

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #29 of 39
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys! I've learned a lot more than I ever expected to! I think I have narrowed it down to either the meepectronics m21, brainwavz beta, or the vsonic gr99. I don't want a V shaped response from my earphone.
Thanks again guys!

if you don't need big bass, and adore for details in the music, then add JVC HA-FXC80 (note: not the FXD80, FXC80 is <$30 at some online stores...). The clarity of this phone is amazing...

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

He can do that too.  Indeed...I personally just find the fit on the GR02 a bit tedious to fiddle with (I like the sig though).  You prefer the GR02 over GR06?  Just curious is all.

Yeah the Gr06 is tech better but sometime's it's too mid-forward for me and the treble can get fuzzy sometimes. It also can come off as being " Dry" sounding on some cds.
The 02 for me just is a better " All Rounder", I like them both really but I seem to grab the 02s a lot more often.
I hear you on the 02 fit, The confort is great for me but they do need a deeper seal. I think the nozzle is to short and a little fatter. I've been using the double flanges that come with the Hisound Popo, they have the wide opening so they just add some extra size to get a deeper fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back