Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 28, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #7,981 of 62,380
So, I wonder...
Sony-NWZ-WS613-4GB-Bluetooth-Sports-Wearable-MP3-Player-%28Black%29.jpg

Why are there no TW with a small pendant control like the Sony ring control in the pic or the older minidisc...
sony_mze606w.jpg

Touch controls getting wonky when sweat on, uncomfortable button push jamming the buds into the ear, digging under hats/hoods/scarves to get at the TW controls, holding buttons for 3 seconds or pressing a button 3 times cause there is not room for multiple buttons to make the control scheme easier etc. With all the annoyances why no small remote shirt/tie clip or pendant or ring or whatever??

Jun 28, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #7,982 of 62,380
found something again :) and before I blindly order, I am asking the humble hive mind ... have you ever heard of a TWS W5S? On amazon I find it as UMI brand (and has a 10€ off coupon) ... unbranded they are also on AliX ... anyone has / had them?

umitws.jpg

Jun 28, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #7,983 of 62,380

Hmm, no combined battery life rating given or what connector is used, although the YTOM definitely uses Type C.

Their light-up spaceship TWS by them looks really cool, but no info on charging port or codecs.
https://hutmtech.en.alibaba.com/pro...pm=a2700.details.pronpeci14.26.3db53f59Bb8ivs

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32983290872.html

57$ on Amazon Canada:
https://www.amazon.ca/HUANSI-Headph...LUETOOTH+5.0&qid=1561750678&s=gateway&sr=8-13
They just dropped a new full-sized XB headphone. I was looking around and it was like, BAM, here you go. Just based on observation, they seem to just drop things quietly and all of a sudden you'll see it. Looks like Sony has fully migrated to USB-C on all their new stuff.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-xb900n
No BT 5.0 though...

I was looking for a Type-C charging budget alternative to the 1000XM3 but didn't have much luck. Femperna has a Type C BT5.0 headphone but it uses the Type C port to output to both 3.5mm or to charge which restricts cable replacability. I hope Audio-Technica follows suit but doubt it (in some ways, they are like the Nintendo/Canon of audio...)

Jun 28, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #7,984 of 62,380
Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #7,985 of 62,380
Depends what your tastes are. If you want a clean & balanced sound, great low-profile fit, good mic, competent touch controls, Qi charging & USB C, I'd recommend the Samsung Galaxy Buds. Soundstage and imaging are way better than I expected. They retail for $129, but I got mine for $103 with a 20% coupon from Fry's Electronics (although you do have to spend $199 or more in total purchases). There also have been a few sales around $97-$99.

The Anbes 359 are very good, especially for the price (around $30 or so). Bass is big, but a nice, soft, round, deep bass (yes, I'm aware of how that sounds!). Highs a bit rolled off, but still articulate and a smooth listen. Good gym 'buds because you can crank them a bit without piercing a hold in your eardrums. For sitting at a desk, however, I'd pick the Galaxy buds.

If you're into bass, the Anbes 359 are a great choice, but if you want a more well-rounded option in this price range, the Galaxy Buds are hard to beat.
How do the Buds compare to other ones you've tried in terms of detail, separation, and range of frequency? I've read some high praise on their sound quality, but it seems like the Samsung name might have encouraged electronics writers who might not have a good ear to write reviews.

Jun 28, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #7,986 of 62,380
Dang those looked cool. I mostly like black, but those chrome look cool. I also wanted a pair in dark blue. Too bad not too many option color wise with great sq and a $30 or lower price TWS. Good on the seller for being honest.

give the Nillkin Go a try then. only comes in black and red though

Jun 28, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #7,987 of 62,380
So I now have a Fostex TM2 along with FitEar adapters for review.

9685FDE1-7DB1-4EB2-AFEA-F79882940E65.jpeg
I had previously demo-ed them briefly at the Fujiya Spring Headphone Festival back in late April.
5E76CCA6-49AF-4D89-BEFC-EA7706A481BD.jpeg
I’ll write up a full review when I’ve given them a listen.

Jun 28, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #7,988 of 62,380

I had previously demo-ed them briefly at the Fujiya Spring Headphone Festival back in late April.

Anxiously waiting :)

BTW, do the ear hooks have a memory wire in them that allows one to bend them to fit? Or are the pre molded and 'spring' back to their original position?

Jun 28, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #7,989 of 62,380

nice! do you have the BT20 too for comparison?

Jun 28, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #7,991 of 62,380
BTW, do the ear hooks have a memory wire in them that allows one to bend them to fit? Or are the pre molded and 'spring' back to their original position?

Actually I can't remember! I will have to open up the box and will have to give it a shot. A little busy at the moment to do an unboxing. From my demo back in April, I -think- it was flexible 'cos I seem to recall playing around with it to fit it around my glasses.

nice! do you have the BT20 too for comparison?

I don't. I'm not even familiar with the BT20 and will have to read that up.

For some reason I thought I posted pix of the TM2 from the April show to Head-Fi but I guess I didn't and put it up on Facebook or Twitter instead. Here are more pix of the TM2 from back in April :-

P4280018.jpg P4280019.jpg P4280020.jpg P4280021.jpg P4280022.jpg P4280024.jpg

Jun 28, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #7,992 of 62,380
Can't say much about battery life as I have not done any duration tests. Usability, somehow I manage to take the Anbes out of they UFO box a bit clumsily and the wrong way around, but that's probably just me, does not feel as intuitive as the Tranya. Usually I am not using buttons much other than the occasional play/ pause, but I was positively surprised when I found that on Tranya, double press right = vol up, and left is down ... tripple press summons siri ...

Just did a lag test on the Tranya and am happy to report that I had no issues with VLC from computer but youtube on phone has some lag. but that could also be my wonky connection ...
Just get them from amazon and return if you don't like them :D
Which mic is better?
What about sq

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #7,993 of 62,380
I don't. I'm not even familiar with the BT20 and will have to read that up.

Cool, thanks for the updated photos and info. No rush about the ear hooks; I was just curious.

BTW, the BT20 is made by TRN, and available in mmcx or 2-pin. They just released a new revision of it (BT20S), that adds aptX, nano coating, and some other features (I think longer battery life etc maybe).

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #7,994 of 62,380
I like the Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 a lot. It's got a simple interface, and the Bluetooth pairing stability is good. The sound is really well balanced, non-peaky, nicely extended on both ends, and vocally present.

The sound is sublime at its price point, I find it much better than the Bang & Olufsen E8 2.0, which is very strident in the treble. It's much smaller than the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless, and I much prefer its sound signature. I also tested the Astrotec S80 on the same day; I hated its finicky touch controls, and while the SQ was decent, it had a much more typical, thicker bass presentation.

I didn't get to test out the call quality, but a possible drawback is the microphone, as Vlad Savov at The Verge says it's crummy.

If my wife didn't already have the Nuarl NT01B, I'd get a pair for her. If I didn't already preorder the NuraLoop, I'd get myself a pair.

Jun 29, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #7,995 of 62,380
I like the Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 a lot. It's got a simple interface, and the Bluetooth pairing stability is good. The sound is really well balanced, non-peaky, nicely extended on both ends, and vocally present.

The sound is sublime at its price point, I find it much better than the Bang & Olufsen E8 2.0, which is very strident in the treble. It's much smaller than the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless, and I much prefer its sound signature. I also tested the Astrotec S80 on the same day; I hated its finicky touch controls, and while the SQ was decent, it had a much more typical, thicker bass presentation.

I didn't get to test out the call quality, but a possible drawback is the microphone, as Vlad Savov at The Verge says it's crummy.

If my wife didn't already have the Nuarl NT01B, I'd get a pair for her. If I didn't already preorder the NuraLoop, I'd get myself a pair.
They are smaller than the mtw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back