++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 3, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #29,431 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay, here it goes. I'm not entirely new to Headfi, I've looked for advice on here for years but this is the first post I have made. I am a college student with a budget of $300 and I'm looking for a pair of headphones or multiple pairs of headphones for under $300 that will satisfy my needs. I need a pair of portable, durable, closed headphones for library and studio use, but could use a pair of semi-open or open headphones in the dorm. I listen to hip-hop, rap, instrumental hip hop (think RJD2, Gramatik), electronic and some reggae. I have a Cmoy BB amplifier and I plan to purchase a Fiio E07K to pair with these new headphones. I was looking at the Vmoda M100s, but for $300, I could get the Crossfade LP2s and Grado SR80i's for the dorm. Or maybe ATH-M50s and Beyerdynamic COP's if I got them at the right price. If you can see where I'm going with this, What is the best pair of headphones or combination of pairs for my needs? Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me.  

I'm relatively new to the headphone world, but I listen to similar music (a lot of beatstrumentals), so I'll give this a shot. Just take my advice with a grain of salt, on account of my relative newness.

I recently purchased a used ATH-M50 from another Head-Fi'er, and I'm pretty happy with it. I have trouble wearing it for too long (the top of my head gets sore), but I think its sound does those generes justice, so long as you're not looking for overwhelming bass. I can't say what adding an amp would do for it, though; I've never owned or used one.

I also got to use a friend's AKG K550 for a while, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I found it underwhelming at first, but it quickly grew on me. A very nice, clear sounding headphone. A bit less bass than the M50, but it has a solid presence, and very good sub-bass response. I also found it very comfortable. There are also instructions floating around for a few DIY mods to change the fit and bass. Buying this can also might negate the need for two pairs of headphones; I don't have experience with open headphones, but I hear the K550 feels like an open can despite being closed. I regularly see used ones going for $180–200 in the for sale / trade forums.

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #29,432 of 29,490
First off, thanks for the help. The combinations I mentioned were simply examples, they weren't exactly ones I would purchase together. There have been a lot of good things said on here about the Dt770.. So should I just get LP2s and call it a day? They are portable, durable and great for hip hop, I can save the $100 for a rainy day.

edit: How is the build quality of the K550's? Other reviewers said it was good, I need it to be excellent if they are at the top of my price range (my headphones take a little bit of a beating in my backpack, even with a hard case)

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #29,433 of 29,490
Quote:
First off, thanks for the help. The combinations I mentioned were simply examples, they weren't exactly ones I would purchase together. There have been a lot of good things said on here about the Dt770.. So should I just get LP2s and call it a day? They are portable, durable and great for hip hop, I can save the $100 for a rainy day.

edit: How is the build quality of the K550's? Other reviewers said it was good, I need it to be excellent if they are at the top of my price range (my headphones take a little bit of a beating in my backpack, even with a hard case)

I do hear that the LP2 is built like a tank.

So far as I know, the K550 hold their own well. It has plastic parts, but, unlike most other headphones with plastic, you don't hear those parts creak, so I imagine they are quality. Still, I only used them lightly inside; you'd have to ask an experienced owner how they fare when traveling. Like you said, I'm sure they're good, but I don't know if they're great. I do doubt anything would happen if they traveled in a hard case, though.

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #29,434 of 29,490

The build quality is good. Probably not as durable as my M50s or HFI-780s, but in a case they should be fine.

One thing about portability. If you are moving around a lot when wearing them (walking around), could be easy to break the seal on these. Not as much clamping force as other headphones. So more comfortable, but a little tougher to keep a seal.

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #29,435 of 29,490
Quote:
One thing about portability. If you are moving around a lot when wearing them (walking around), could be easy to break the seal on these. Not as much clamping force as other headphones. So more comfortable, but a little tougher to keep a seal.

Word on the street is that you can safely and easily bend the headband, but some people are not comfortable doing this, and your milage may vary. Likewise, I hear that placing a rubber band around each pad significantly helps the seal for some and brings out the bass more without diminishing the soundstage. (Check the first post.)

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #29,437 of 29,490
Ok stole this list of a previous post. Been looking at this forum for quite a bit lately but cant get a solution. Since my issue is probably not like most i was thinking i might make anew thread just to get a bit more of a broader span of people with ideas who don't visit this thread.

Budget: Anything from bestbuy.ca or futureshop.ca up to 200$ plus tax ( have a 198$ credit from a return to use up )
Source: PC ipad/iphone (dont need a mic) / ipod
Requirements for Isolation: Not important, as long as i get everything else i want
Preferred Type of Headphone: Full-sized over the ear for comfort, open since i hear closed take away from bass?
Preferred Music: Bassy. Hiphop, club stuff, dubstep
Preferred Entertainment: Gaming, movies, music, paperwork (will be using these sometimes up to 4 hours in a sitting?)
Extra details: I used to dj and i do appreciate audiophile support but i dont want to get into amps and dacs and what not. Just something i can get from bb fs at that price range that will give me some solid music with some nice bass that i can use for casual gaming while i listen to itunes. I have actually sat here and put though all the headphones from bestbuy in head fi search and so far Monster NCredible NTune On-Ear Headphones, KOSS prodj100, and Audio Technica ATH-T400 seem decent but they are on ear (not a fan due to discomfort of long wear) and or sub 100$. Not looking for best bang for buck but best bang for 200 bucks.

Again i know this is tough since my 200 is tied to bb and fs so thanks for your time in advance. I cant wait to hear back!

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #29,440 of 29,490
Hi folks, first post; I'm looking for recommendations for a circum-aural closed headphone. More specifically:

- Budget, under $100, but I can go a little over.
- Durability, fitting a large head.  I'm somewhere between a 7-1/2 and 7-5/8 hat size.  I've had to replace my headphones about every 10-18 months because they always break around the hinges or sliders where the cups are attached to the band.
- High isolation.  I'm going to wear it exclusively at my job, where there's a constant amount of low noise, and I have co-workers who sit fairly close-by that I don't want to bother if I turn my music up a little.  I don't need portability, amp or noise cancellation.
- I sometimes use headphones for 3-hour stretches, so comfort and not getting too sweaty around the ears would be great.
- Sound quality, mid-level. I don't like muddy sound or emphasized bass. I'm no audiophile, and uber high-quality sound is lost on me because I have light tinnitus.

(Edit) These will be plugged into a desktop computer.

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #29,441 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
No--not that I have ever found.

What about the Shure 840's?

No--they share some sound signature attributes, but don't sound alike at all.  In addition you can get away with driving the 840 with an iPhone, provided you don't need it to be too loud.  There's no way such a device will properly drive the HD 650.

I can't think of an open or semi-open audiophile level can that has a near twin in a closed can.

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #29,442 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi folks, first post; I'm looking for recommendations for a circum-aural closed headphone. More specifically:

- Budget, under $100, but I can go a little over.
- Durability, fitting a large head.  I'm somewhere between a 7-1/2 and 7-5/8 hat size.  I've had to replace my headphones about every 10-18 months because they always break around the hinges or sliders where the cups are attached to the band.
- High isolation.  I'm going to wear it exclusively at my job, where there's a constant amount of low noise, and I have co-workers who sit fairly close-by that I don't want to bother if I turn my music up a little.  I don't need portability, amp or noise cancellation.
- I sometimes use headphones for 3-hour stretches, so comfort and not getting too sweaty around the ears would be great.
- Sound quality, mid-level. I don't like muddy sound or emphasized bass. I'm no audiophile, and uber high-quality sound is lost on me because I have light tinnitus.

You did not mention what will be driving these cans.  You should consider the KRK KNS 8400 (probably used) or Sony MDR 7506--probably with Beyerdynamic EDT 200 Velour Padded Ear cushions.

Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #29,443 of 29,490
What's your budget?
    ~USD$200, but can stretch it to ~$300 if need be...

Where/how do you plan on using these cans?
    Around home, pre football games...

What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  1. Open. But also with a touch of sound isolating...

What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  1.  Electro/ RnB/ Hiphop/ Dance/ Rap.

What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
    Samsung Galaxy S2 and a HP Envy x2 mainly.

Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?
    Aiming for a good solid bass that doesn't overpower other elements of the track.

Any additional comments?
  1. Don't think I want an amp at the moment. So I want some headphones that are fairly easy to drive considering the iPhone puts out less than one ohm...
  2. Also want some good looking cans... Really like the styling of the V-Moda M100's if someone could justify these would suit my needs and would be the best buy in my situation.

Thanks in advance for all the help and thoughts,
s0up2up

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #29,444 of 29,490
Hello, this is my 2nd time posting in this thread to follow up my post a week ago after more research.

Price: Around 100$. Can go over a little bit if needed.

Closed headphones. Going to be using them mainly on my computer and occasionally on my phone. I won't be buying amps.

I would be using them mainly at home/dorm doing work.
I need them to isolate sound from the outside and not leak either to not disturb others.
I would also like to use these with my electric guitar. However, it's not that important as I only play for fun.

I listen to all types of music. Metal, rock, folk, alternative, pop, rnb, hip hop, electronica. Not really sure if this calls for a balanced sound. I owned a pair of HD280 Pro for years and I used them with my computer with the equalizer set on bass. I loved the sound and I'm only replacing them because they broke.

Of course I want them to be comfortable. I know this matter depends on the person, so I'll just compare my experience on my old headphones. As I mentioned I owned the HD280 Pro and after a while I found them to be very comfortable. I've read reviews about them recently and many complained about the comfort. Something about clamping hard. Maybe I just got used to them. Hopefully that says something about what I think "comfortable" is.

I'm not an audiophile, and I want this to be the last headphones I want to buy. I want it to last long. Good build quality is A MUST.

That's pretty much it. I got recommended the MDR-V6 and CAL.
MDR-V6: I've read reviews comparing this to HD280 Pro and it was said that the 280 Pros sounded better musically. The V6 sounded more "aggressive." What does that mean?
CAL: I heard the build quality isn't that good. Something about the wires feeling cheap. I'm not also a fan of how it looks.

After some research I've come across these headphones:
ATH M50 - I see these headphones as the most recommended. However, the reviews seems to be mixed, especially on the comfort side. I heard these are very good all-rounder headphones. My problem with these is that reviews said they don't isolate as well and there is some leakage. I even saw a youtube demo for it and I didn't like ti that much. Comments on that? They cost 160$ at Amazon atm, and I'm waiting for a sale near 100$. My question is am I overlooking another good alternative?
Shure SRH440 - I came across these because of the SRH840s. I heard the SRH 840s are really good, however they are way above my price range. How good are the 440s compared to the 840s?
KNS8400 - I saw the reviews and they said these are the most comfortable headphones ever. I'm not really sure if it meets all my other requirements however. An comments on that? The other downside is that I could only probably get these used (70$ on Amazon atm), which I'm nervous about.
Ultrasone HFI-580 - I came across these looking for ATH M50 alternatives. It's mentioned that these are basshead cans. I'm not really sure if I'll like that (refer to my description of the sound I liked above). How are these in terms of my other requirements. Again another downside is that the price is way above my budget. I saw that they were on sale for 118$ a month ago. Are they worth the wait?

I really want to enjoy my summer to the fullest, and so I want to make my purchase before the end of this month. I don't want to wait on a sale too long.
I'm sorry for the long post, I just want to give details as many as possible.

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #29,445 of 29,490
What's your budget?

~USD$200, but can stretch it to ~$300 if need be...

Where/how do you plan on using these cans?

Around home, pre football games...

What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?

1. Open. But also with a touch of sound isolating...

What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?

1.  Electro/ RnB/ Hiphop/ Dance/ Rap.

What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?

Samsung Galaxy S2 and a HP Envy x2 mainly.

Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?

Aiming for a good solid bass that doesn't overpower other elements of the track.

Any additional comments?

1. Don't think I want an amp at the moment. So I want some headphones that are fairly easy to drive considering the iPhone puts out less than one ohm...
  2. Also want some good looking cans... Really like the styling of the V-Moda M100's if someone could justify these would suit my needs and would be the best buy in my situation.

Thanks in advance for all the help and thoughts,

s0up2up

First, open and isolation really don't go together. Better to go with closed if any kind of isolation is important to you.

And I do agree that the M-100 could be a good choice the kind of music you listen to. Might also look into the Sony MDR-1R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back