++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 5, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #29,461 of 29,490
Jun 5, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #29,463 of 29,490
Quote:
There is some truth to that, but one of the major things you gain with headphones, IMO, is the ability to own many difference signatures and functions and be able to change out those aspects very quickly by just putting on difference can. You want to lay back? Put on your HD 650. You want something agressive? Throw on your AD1000X. Let's see someone do that with theater speakers.

You got a pretty mixed back of cans there. Some quick questions:

1. Budget of $250 which would include the E11.
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  4. Listens to "basically everything from Classic Rock to modern Hard Rock along with some dubstep / electronica."
  5. Will be using an E11 to amp, but from what?

Budget is $220 - $250

I finally treated myself to a decent smart phone (HTC One) and the stock ear buds have got to go... as well as at my computer, or just jacked into the home receiver.

Isolation... as much as possible! If I am listening to music that is ALL I want to hear.

Basically - every kind of music but Country... I just cant listen to any of the modern country... with the exception of Hurt by Johnny Cash, I can listen to that.

Want to use the E11 to amplify the rather pitiful output of my smart phone / computer / and receiver... I head the difference between the Sennheiser HD 800 with and without an amp... the difference was rather startling.

Anyway - within my budget (amp included) I have read a lot of people rave about the list that I made... and all of them fit within budget....

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S
Beyerdynamic CUSTOM ONE PRO
Sennheiser HD 558
Audio Technica ATH-A700X

Let me know what you guys think!

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #29,464 of 29,490
Quote:
Now that we have a dedicated forum for new members and recommendations, I'm closing this thread.

Introductions, Help and Recommendations

It was nice knowing this thread 
redface.gif

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #29,466 of 29,490
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! This thread cant close! I JUST found it!! 
eek.gif

Just in case it isnt closing, here goes!

My budget is $100-$300

My phone as a source is horrible, but Im planning of getting a new phone next year so thats that.
The other source is my 4th gen iPad.

Genre-wise, I listen to..
RnB (mostly Korean like K.Will but definitely some english ones)
Soul
Rock (metal, grunge, post-grunge, pop, alternative, punk, indie)
Hiphop/Rap
House
Dubstep
Jazz
Blues
Pop
Classic (mostly Piano or guitar)

I wouldnt call myself a basshead or a treblehead. Which is what makes the picking of headphones slightly harder. 
The RnB, pop (I think its pop?
blink.gif
)and ballads that I listen to hits quite a lot of high notes. And since I listen to rock I think the mids matter as well. Honestly although I like bass, I dont mind having average bass and better vocals. Sure Id love some good bass but great bass isnt a priority as much as listening to clean vocals. So if I had to ratio the importance of Bass:Mid:Treble itd be like a 2:2:3

Id say I prefer balanced over bass heavy, although I do have some moments where I go crazy on Swedish House Mafia and Calvin Harris where the bass matters. As I said, bass isnt a priority and Id be satisfied with slightly above average.
And yes I am kinda touchy with the treble (I just went through my music, and a good chunk of them have some sweet high notes)
This is really killing me! xD I dont live and breathe in the mids, but heck I love some good mids and guitar solos.

Would you mind listening to a few songs and tell me what they are mostly? And what they would work with (like bass, treble or mid)
If yes: Greyhound - Swedish House Mafia, Marry Me - K.Will, Riot - Three Days Grace, Faint - Linkin Park
I think K.Will is more treble, but hey Im new to this and could be wayyyy wrong 
biggrin.gif

And my list has come down to (but not limited to):
PSB M4U 1 - reviews sound awesome to me!
AKG 551 - they got my treble! kinda pricy tho
Philips Citiscape Uptown - my back up plan if I want to use less money on HPs and spend some money on DAC and amp
V-MODA Crossfade M-100 - the uber bassy part is kinda annoying, but still considering them. and they look SEXY 
rolleyes.gif

Sony MDR-1R - they also seem great overall
Sennheiser Momentum - the problem is pricing.. Im also interested in buying an amp and DAC.. gahhhh

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #29,467 of 29,490

Philips Citiscape Uptown - my back up plan if I want to use less money on HPs and spend some money on DAC and amp

V-MODA Crossfade M-100 - the uber bassy part is kinda annoying, but still considering them. and they look SEXY 
rolleyes.gif

Sennheiser Momentum - the problem is pricing.. Im also interested in buying an amp and DAC.. gahhhh

Seems like you have a good list. I would suggest also looking at the AKG K550 vs. the K551 in case it is cheaper. As I understand it, same phone but without the mic.

Check out the Innerfidelity Wall of Fame page. Does a nice job of describing most of the headphones are you are interested in: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #29,468 of 29,490
Quote:
I saw this gift guide thread of Head-Fi and it was said that there are better options other than V6 for its price range. I would honestly go for the CAL but I don't like its design on first look (specifically the wire on each driver). I would have to see it in person.

I'd love to know what that guide did recommend, then. You are being a little too picky for your budget, IMO. The CAL!, V6, and 7506 are the cans to look at for closed sub-$100 category.

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #29,469 of 29,490
Jun 5, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #29,470 of 29,490
Quote:

Budget is $220 - $250

I finally treated myself to a decent smart phone (HTC One) and the stock ear buds have got to go... as well as at my computer, or just jacked into the home receiver.

Isolation... as much as possible! If I am listening to music that is ALL I want to hear.

Basically - every kind of music but Country... I just cant listen to any of the modern country... with the exception of Hurt by Johnny Cash, I can listen to that.

Want to use the E11 to amplify the rather pitiful output of my smart phone / computer / and receiver... I head the difference between the Sennheiser HD 800 with and without an amp... the difference was rather startling.

Anyway - within my budget (amp included) I have read a lot of people rave about the list that I made... and all of them fit within budget....

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S
Beyerdynamic CUSTOM ONE PRO
Sennheiser HD 558
Audio Technica ATH-A700X

Let me know what you guys think!

M50 and COP could work, although I'm not a fan if you have the budget to step up. The HD 558 and A700X are open and don't meet your isolation needs. I would also look at the UE 6000 and M80. If you can find it at a good price, the MDR-1R is also a great choice.

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #29,471 of 29,490
Quote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! This thread cant close! I JUST found it!! 
eek.gif

Just in case it isnt closing, here goes!

My budget is $100-$300

My phone as a source is horrible, but Im planning of getting a new phone next year so thats that.
The other source is my 4th gen iPad.

Genre-wise, I listen to..
RnB (mostly Korean like K.Will but definitely some english ones)
Soul
Rock (metal, grunge, post-grunge, pop, alternative, punk, indie)
Hiphop/Rap
House
Dubstep
Jazz
Blues
Pop
Classic (mostly Piano or guitar)

I wouldnt call myself a basshead or a treblehead. Which is what makes the picking of headphones slightly harder. 
The RnB, pop (I think its pop?
blink.gif
)and ballads that I listen to hits quite a lot of high notes. And since I listen to rock I think the mids matter as well. Honestly although I like bass, I dont mind having average bass and better vocals. Sure Id love some good bass but great bass isnt a priority as much as listening to clean vocals. So if I had to ratio the importance of Bass:Mid:Treble itd be like a 2:2:3

Id say I prefer balanced over bass heavy, although I do have some moments where I go crazy on Swedish House Mafia and Calvin Harris where the bass matters. As I said, bass isnt a priority and Id be satisfied with slightly above average.
And yes I am kinda touchy with the treble (I just went through my music, and a good chunk of them have some sweet high notes)
This is really killing me! xD I dont live and breathe in the mids, but heck I love some good mids and guitar solos.

Would you mind listening to a few songs and tell me what they are mostly? And what they would work with (like bass, treble or mid)
If yes: Greyhound - Swedish House Mafia, Marry Me - K.Will, Riot - Three Days Grace, Faint - Linkin Park
I think K.Will is more treble, but hey Im new to this and could be wayyyy wrong 
biggrin.gif

rolleyes.gif

You've done some homework and have a very good list going on there, although I have no experience with the Philips Citiscape Uptown or PSB M4U 1. The K550/551 is a great neutral can, but there is a fit problem a lot of people experience with it. You'll need to try it and see if you can get a good seal between the cups and your head. If it works, it's a good option. The M-100 is most definitely a basshead can and I don't think you'll be very happy with it. The Momentum is fairly warm, but still sounds great. Several people report comfort issues with the cups as they are much closer to on-ear vs over-ear. The MDR-1R is another good option and is fairly neutral. This was the can I bought when I couldn't get a good seal with the K550 and had comfort issues with the Momentum.

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #29,472 of 29,490
Quote:

You've done some homework and have a very good list going on there, although I have no experience with the Philips Citiscape Uptown or PSB M4U 1. The K550/551 is a great neutral can, but there is a fit problem a lot of people experience with it. You'll need to try it and see if you can get a good seal between the cups and your head. If it works, it's a good option. The M-100 is most definitely a basshead can and I don't think you'll be very happy with it. The Momentum is fairly warm, but still sounds great. Several people report comfort issues with the cups as they are much closer to on-ear vs over-ear. The MDR-1R is another good option and is fairly neutral. This was the can I bought when I couldn't get a good seal with the K550 and had comfort issues with the Momentum.

Haha thanks 
biggrin.gif

So I guess its down to the K550/551 and the MDR-1R then. Ill try find a place where I can try them both on. Thanks for the insight!

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #29,473 of 29,490
Quote:
Haha thanks 
biggrin.gif

So I guess its down to the K550/551 and the MDR-1R then. Ill try find a place where I can try them both on. Thanks for the insight!

Keep the Momentum on that list too. I really like the sound of those and I think you might too. It's another you'll need to try on to see if it fits you.

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #29,475 of 29,490
Sure. Now where in the hell do I find all of these in Korea 
confused_face_2.gif

Thanks though.

Getting a chance to listen to them is always the problem. Researching reviews and this forum can only get you about 80% of the way there in headphone selection. Gotta listen to them to find out for sure which are a best fit for you since your experience may differ from what other people experience. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back