++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 3, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #29,416 of 29,490
Quote:
OK, So I have to say that I am new to the world of Audiophile headphones...

I was apparently under the misconception that headphones could not match the sound produced by a great set of speakers with a beautifully built amplifier.

A good friend of mine came by my house with a small tube amp and a pair of Sennheiser HD 800 headphones. One listen and I was hooked...

Now I know that there is no way that I am dropping the kind of money needed to buy what he already has... I already have several grand tied up in my home theater...

There is some truth to that, but one of the major things you gain with headphones, IMO, is the ability to own many difference signatures and functions and be able to change out those aspects very quickly by just putting on difference can. You want to lay back? Put on your HD 650. You want something agressive? Throw on your AD1000X. Let's see someone do that with theater speakers.

Quote:
OK, So I have to say that I am new to the world of Audiophile headphones...

I was apparently under the misconception that headphones could not match the sound produced by a great set of speakers with a beautifully built amplifier.

A good friend of mine came by my house with a small tube amp and a pair of Sennheiser HD 800 headphones. One listen and I was hooked...

Now I know that there is no way that I am dropping the kind of money needed to buy what he already has... I already have several grand tied up in my home theater...

SO with that said, I am looking to spend around $220 - $250 for a small portable amplifier and a nice pair of headphones.

The amplifier I think I have narrowed down to the FIIO E11 as it seems to be good bang for the buck... also I am looking at several headphones in the $140 - $160 dollar range:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S
Beyerdynamic CUSTOM ONE PRO
Sennheiser HD 558
Audio Technica ATH-A700X

This list is what I have been able to narrow down from lots of reading this forum ... and other sites.

The music I listen to is fairly wide ranging:

AC/DC
Metallica
Red Hot Chili Peppers
System of a Down
Volbeat
Eric Clapton
CCR
Chevelle
Pink Floyd
etc etc etc

Yeah I know that it is a rather odd and broad selection of music... I like nice warm tones, I really dislike shrill tweeters (most headphones dont have tweeters ... but you can probably guess what I mean). Basically everything from Classic Rock to modern Hard Rock along with some dubstep / electronica.

I would really like to hear everyones thoughts on what would make a really well rounded pair of headphones... Also if someone can think of a better portable amplifier than the FIIO E11 (around 50 - 60 dollars) I would appreciate that as well.

Finally, I want to thank everyone for their time... I know that it is valuable.

You got a pretty mixed back of cans there. Some quick questions:

1. Budget of $250 which would include the E11.
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  4. Listens to "basically everything from Classic Rock to modern Hard Rock along with some dubstep / electronica."
  5. Will be using an E11 to amp, but from what?

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #29,419 of 29,490
I'm quite far from an expert, but I did purchase the K550. I found them to be bass shy and overly bright. Just my impressions, but for over $200, there are more fulfilling headphones. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #29,420 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm quite far from an expert, but I did purchase the K550. I found them to be bass shy and overly bright. Just my impressions, but for over $200, there are more fulfilling headphones. Of course, your mileage may vary.

it is impossible to choose a headphone you read on this forum, are highlighted strengths and weaknesses of all all headphones...
after weeks of reading I was torn between these:

ATH M50
Beyerdynamic Custom one pro
AKG K 550        -------------- WIN
SENNH H598
AKG K 242 HD

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #29,421 of 29,490
Quote:
it is impossible to choose a headphone you read on this forum, are highlighted strengths and weaknesses of all all headphones...

ATH M50
SENNH H598
AKG K 242 HD

I was torn between the DT880,  AKG K 701, K 550, SR325si.

I was afraid that i would not be able to amp the dt880 / k 701 properly. The sr325si seem weird for me as an entry in the audiophile world.

So there you go... k550.

I was also looking at the Shure srh940, but i was already fed up. So i eliminated them for their looks.

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #29,422 of 29,490

Well, you have to get a good seal with them and get the placement right on them. And then once the headphones burnin, I think the highs calm down a little. Meanwhile, the bass is fairly neutral but well-extended. Without all of that, yeah. They will definitely sound bass light and shy.

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #29,423 of 29,490

ATH M50
SENNH H598
AKG K 242 HD

It's quite possible the K550 will be the magic you're looking for. I can only relate my experiences, which were largely disappointing. I spent $250 on them, and to be honest the $150 ATH-M50's were almost as satisfying. It's not until I got the HE-400's did I feel the sound quality is tremendous. Hopefully the K550's are the answer for you. Ah, the journey of finding great sound.

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #29,424 of 29,490
Quote:
It's quite possible the K550 will be the magic you're looking for. I can only relate my experiences, which were largely disappointing. I spent $250 on them, and to be honest the $150 ATH-M50's were almost as satisfying. It's not until I got the HE-400's did I feel the sound quality is tremendous. Hopefully the K550's are the answer for you. Ah, the journey of finding great sound.

I would buy the he 400 too............................................. if i had the extra money.....................

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #29,425 of 29,490
Quote:

what did you find most comfortable after long hours between the ATH-M50 AKG K 550

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #29,427 of 29,490
Quote:
what did you find most comfortable after long hours between the ATH-M50 AKG K 550

I have the m50's actually. To be honest, for me it was as if i burned my money.

I have the akg k315 20 us dollar priced IEM's and i actually prefer them to the m50's. Overhyped heaphones. Just my impression.

Edit: Ok, i am exaggerating, but the fact is that i keep my m50's inside their box so that i dont listen to them because i dont want to be reminded of the money i spent on them.

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #29,428 of 29,490
Most comfort? AKG K550, no doubt, very comfortable pads. The ATH-M50 made my ears sweat after awhile. The ATH-M50's are bass heavy, and the K550's are bass lite, though very detailed. As noted above, a good seal and placement improves the K550's bass incredibly. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will contribute...

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #29,429 of 29,490
Okay, here it goes. I'm not entirely new to Headfi, I've looked for advice on here for years but this is the first post I have made. I am a college student with a budget of $300 and I'm looking for a pair of headphones or multiple pairs of headphones for under $300 that will satisfy my needs. I need a pair of portable, durable, closed headphones for library and studio use, but could use a pair of semi-open or open headphones in the dorm. I listen to hip-hop, rap, instrumental hip hop (think RJD2, Gramatik), electronic and some reggae. I have a Cmoy BB amplifier and I plan to purchase a Fiio E07K to pair with these new headphones. I was looking at the Vmoda M100s, but for $300, I could get the Crossfade LP2s and Grado SR80i's for the dorm. Or maybe ATH-M50s and Beyerdynamic COP's if I got them at the right price. If you can see where I'm going with this, What is the best pair of headphones or combination of pairs for my needs? Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me.  

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #29,430 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay, here it goes. I'm not entirely new to Headfi, I've looked for advice on here for years but this is the first post I have made. I am a college student with a budget of $300 and I'm looking for a pair of headphones or multiple pairs of headphones for under $300 that will satisfy my needs. I need a pair of portable, durable, closed headphones for library and studio use, but could use a pair of semi-open or open headphones in the dorm. I listen to hip-hop, rap, instrumental hip hop (think RJD2, Gramatik), electronic and some reggae. I have a Cmoy BB amplifier and I plan to purchase a Fiio E07K to pair with these new headphones. I was looking at the Vmoda M100s, but for $300, I could get the Crossfade LP2s and Grado SR80i's for the dorm. Or maybe ATH-M50s and Beyerdynamic COP's if I got them at the right price. If you can see where I'm going with this, What is the best pair of headphones or combination of pairs for my needs? Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me.  

Beyer COP is similar to the m50 but with adjustable, less controlled bass.
Grado sr80s might not be the best for those genres.
Don't know too much about the m100s but they're supposed to be basshead galore and really nice for hip hop and EDM. 
Someone did a test on the LP2s and the graphs came out to be quite similar to the Beats Pro. That's not necessarily a bad thing, those are described as the only good sounding Dr Dre headphone and the lp2s are the same for half the price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back