++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 2, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #29,401 of 29,490
Quote:
Google could be your friend: https://www.google.com/search?q=akg+q701+vs+k550
wink.gif

doesn't answer question about amp. Thank you for your concern though 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #29,402 of 29,490
Quote:
Wanna know the best place to get metal on FLAC? Metalmadness.com. I archived almost my entire metal collection in flac from that website alone. Btw good luck finding your metal listening headphones. I'd be interested to see what recommendations you get too.

Thanks for the link, although it must be metalmadness.org :wink:
I've heard great things about the Grado SR-225 and SR-325is. I'm gonna check with one local store to see if I can test them out.

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #29,403 of 29,490
doesn't answer question about amp. Thank you for your concern though 
tongue_smile.gif

That was a strong hint. Reread the first post of this thread, particularly this:

This is the Headphones (full-size) area. Please direct more specific enquiries about iems, portable cans, dac/amp recommendations etc to the relevant subforum. Doing so will likely get your questions answered sooner by someone experienced with said gear.

Time to start doing your own research, instead of treating this thread as your personal, "Let me ask whatever I can think of" thread :rolleyes:

Want to know about your amp and the Q701? Go read threads which discuss your Q701 and threads that discuss your amp.

Jun 2, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #29,404 of 29,490
Even after tube rolling (Lyr), I've come to the frustrating conclusion, that while the HE-400 does many things well, it has it's flaws. Namely vocal sibilance and treble fatigue. I'm still waiting for one more pair of tubes, but am doubtful this will provide much remedy, though hopefully I'm wrong. So either I purchase an EQ (only listen to CD's) or I'm looking for a headphone that will supply the deficiencies of the HE-400. I'm very hesitant to save up for the HE-500, and am leaning towards the HD-650. Really trying to avoid the headphone fatigue from bright treble. I do love the HE400, it's just not great for every genre. Thanks for any insight.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #29,405 of 29,490
Quote:
I have the DT770s and I can vouch for them in terms of both bass and isolation, they really rumble! I've heard some people talk about irritating highs but that's not been a problem for me, one thing I have noticed however is that the mids are a bit sucked out which may or may not be a problem depending on the type of music you listen to. The DT770/80s can be driven by my laptop (though obviously they benefit from an amp) so you should be fine with your Mac, I don't really know the differences between the 80[size=small]Ω and 250[/size][size=small]Ω besides the latter being harder to drive (if there are any). As cel4145 said, you'd be better off asking in the DT770 thread but I will say that if you do go for an amp, even portable FiiOs should have enough power for them but enough power doesn't always equate to good sound as different pairings have different synergy. I use the Magni with the DT770s and AFAIK the Beyers are considered Dark whereas the Magni is considered bright (could be wrong) which is good and I think the two pair well. Unfortunately the DT770s' long cable seems to act as a big aerial for the amp and so the pair do a good job at receiving radio signal which is very frustrating but I've not heard of this happening to anyone else so it could be unique to me and my location. Other combos worth considering if you're looking at Schiit are the O2 and ODAC and possibly the FiiO E7 and E9 which would be good as you could put the E7 in you're pocket and have a portable rig option. I won't say more about the amps for fear of going OT and I don't like recommending gear I've not heard (FiiO/O2).[/size]

Since I have the HD 25 for portable use (too uncomfortable for long sessions at home) and the hd 598 to just relax with (and I recently got the SRH840 as a gift, used it as all-rounder), I thought I was pretty much all set. Then I noticed that for some electronic/ hard rock songs, the sub-bass boost of the 840 didn't quite cut it. So now I am considering selling the 840 to buy a more bass-oriented hp, for which the beyer phones seem to qualify (and I'll probably buy a fiio e17 while i'm at it).
So now I'm stuck between getting the dt770, 880 and 990, and the custom pro snuck in there as well. I can get the 770 (both 80 and 250) for €145, same as the 990. The 880 costs €245 though (€195 for the custom pro). Open or closed back is a non-issue, they will mainly be used at home anyway. What I am mostly concerned about is the bass extension, though the rest of the spectrum is still relatively important (I heard the beyers generally have recessed mids, but I have a 598. I'll manage.). Which of these would give me the most oomph, and are they worth the money compared to the others?

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #29,406 of 29,490
One more question, the dt770's come in two variaties, the Pro and the M.
I know the M is mend for drummers and offers about 35 db of isolation, while the pro offers a "mere" 18 db, but sounds better.

Which of these two would be the best buy while looking for "neighbour" bass isolation?

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #29,407 of 29,490
Quote:
Since I have the HD 25 for portable use (too uncomfortable for long sessions at home) and the hd 598 to just relax with (and I recently got the SRH840 as a gift, used it as all-rounder), I thought I was pretty much all set. Then I noticed that for some electronic/ hard rock songs, the sub-bass boost of the 840 didn't quite cut it. So now I am considering selling the 840 to buy a more bass-oriented hp, for which the beyer phones seem to qualify (and I'll probably buy a fiio e17 while i'm at it).
So now I'm stuck between getting the dt770, 880 and 990, and the custom pro snuck in there as well. I can get the 770 (both 80 and 250) for €145, same as the 990. The 880 costs €245 though (€195 for the custom pro). Open or closed back is a non-issue, they will mainly be used at home anyway. What I am mostly concerned about is the bass extension, though the rest of the spectrum is still relatively important (I heard the beyers generally have recessed mids, but I have a 598. I'll manage.). Which of these would give me the most oomph, and are they worth the money compared to the others?

One thing worth trying before you sell the 840s is a graphic EQ and you can turn down everything but the lower frequencies but IMO if you have to EQ a pair that much it begs the question of why didn't you buy a pair that suited you in the first case. Now I've only heard the DT770s so I can't really offer much advice regarding the others but a quick google turned up this (bear in mind these aren't the pros) and I am sure it's been discussed to death on Head-Fi so just have a look around. In terms of open vs. closed, if like you say you'll be using them in a fairly quiet environment then open's probably the best bet as they're typically considered more natural sounding compared to closed cans. The 770s are closed, 880s are semi closed/open and the 990s are fully open back. The DT770s have a U shaped sig in that there's an emphasis on lows and highs with sucked out mids, the DT880s are widely considered to be the most neutral sounding out of the lot of them and the DT990s supposedly take the DT880s neutrality and combine that with the well extended, thumping bass. As you say you value bass but the rest of the spectrum is important then I think the best option for you from the Beyers is the DT990s. Of course, the best way to tell would be to listen to them yourself but that's not always possible I know. Then there's the problem of which impedence to buy and that largely comes down to what you'll be driving them with, I think the pairs with greater impedence offer sonic improvements but that's just something I've read. Other options worth looking at are Ultrasone who make bassy cans, the HD650 which is a little more expensive than what you're looking at but has reportedly great extension or the HE-400s.
Quote:
One more question, the dt770's come in two variaties, the Pro and the M.
I know the M is mend for drummers and offers about 35 db of isolation, while the pro offers a "mere" 18 db, but sounds better.

Which of these two would be the best buy while looking for "neighbour" bass isolation?

The problem is that if your neighbours are using subwoofers, chances are the bass is visceral as well as audible in that you can feel it, am I right? In which case no headphones are truly going to isolate you from it but yes the M edition would provide better isolation from the audible bass. Out of the two I'd be more inclined to get the Pro edition, did you say what cans you're coming from and what sort of isolation they provide?

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #29,408 of 29,490
Quote:
One thing worth trying before you sell the 840s is a graphic EQ and you can turn down everything but the lower frequencies but IMO if you have to EQ a pair that much it begs the question of why didn't you buy a pair that suited you in the first case. Now I've only heard the DT770s so I can't really offer much advice regarding the others but a quick google turned up this (bear in mind these aren't the pros) and I am sure it's been discussed to death on Head-Fi so just have a look around. In terms of open vs. closed, if like you say you'll be using them in a fairly quiet environment then open's probably the best bet as they're typically considered more natural sounding compared to closed cans. The 770s are closed, 880s are semi closed/open and the 990s are fully open back. The DT770s have a U shaped sig in that there's an emphasis on lows and highs with sucked out mids, the DT880s are widely considered to be the most neutral sounding out of the lot of them and the DT990s supposedly take the DT880s neutrality and combine that with the well extended, thumping bass. As you say you value bass but the rest of the spectrum is important then I think the best option for you from the Beyers is the DT990s. Of course, the best way to tell would be to listen to them yourself but that's not always possible I know. Then there's the problem of which impedence to buy and that largely comes down to what you'll be driving them with, I think the pairs with greater impedence offer sonic improvements but that's just something I've read. Other options worth looking at are Ultrasone who make bassy cans, the HD650 which is a little more expensive than what you're looking at but has reportedly great extension or the HE-400s.

Yes, I'm afraid those two might be a little out of my price range right now (shame, too. They probably sound amazing).
It's not that I am not happy with the Shure's, on the contrary, most of the time I like their sound. Thing is, when I thought about how much headphones I've been getting recently, I'm starting to get a little frightened (they're multiplying!) for my meager bank account. I might keep the Shure's, though I am a bit low on budget right now, so selling one of my headphones might be necessary if I want the beyer + amp (I use the hd 598 for most of my music and the hd 25 for portability, the 840, while they sound great, are uncomfortable and heavy while not being as portable as the hd25. That's why I consider them first.). I like the srh840 for their neutrality, and I want to know how each of the beyers I listed would sound coming from the shure's. Is the dt990 still what you'd recommend, keeping this in mind?

Edit: Saw your signature, "low budget" might not be an issue to you :p ("get the hd650 anyway! In fact, buy the HE-400 as well! And buy a better amp and dac while you're at it!")

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #29,410 of 29,490
Quote:
MANY people get recommendations in this thread. Just because no one had a suggestion for you, does not mean that NOBODY gets answers.

Meanwhile, discussing/commenting on how frequently or whether or why not people get help doesn't help this thread given how busy it is. This is the Internet. You ask a question on a forum. One gets help if someone reads a post and has the answer. Sometimes, no one that has read the post has the answer, so no help. Might as well talk about why rain is wet.

You're right. Sorry, I was feeling a bit cranky I suppose. Or maybe, it was the rum.

This is definitely a busy thread though. And I do like rain. I actually listen to rain music to fall asleep. Peter Samuels "Thunderstorm" is my favorite. I also enjoy Dan Gibson quite a lot (now there's a man who knows ambient sound).

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #29,411 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, my friend asked for a headphones recommendation. He wants full sized closed headphones which will be used with laptop so dac/amp might be necessary. Budget is up to 1000$ for headphone and amp/dac combo if needed. He likes to listen Scorpions, Roling Stones, U2 and such. Also headphones shouldn't be bass anemic. What are your recommendations?

Ok, I'm going to take a stab at this.

My current favorite setup is a Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (250 ohm) with the Schiit Magni amp, and Schiit Modi dac. That will set you back about $400 USD (perhaps a bit more after taxes). These particular Beyers are known to be "fun" headphones, emphasize bass, recessed midrange, and somewhat bright on the high end. Perfect for rock and roll, at least in my opinion. YMMV.

That'll leave your friend about $600 for new music. W00t.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #29,412 of 29,490
OK, So I have to say that I am new to the world of Audiophile headphones...

I was apparently under the misconception that headphones could not match the sound produced by a great set of speakers with a beautifully built amplifier.

A good friend of mine came by my house with a small tube amp and a pair of Sennheiser HD 800 headphones. One listen and I was hooked...

Now I know that there is no way that I am dropping the kind of money needed to buy what he already has... I already have several grand tied up in my home theater...

SO with that said, I am looking to spend around $220 - $250 for a small portable amplifier and a nice pair of headphones.

The amplifier I think I have narrowed down to the FIIO E11 as it seems to be good bang for the buck... also I am looking at several headphones in the $140 - $160 dollar range:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S
Beyerdynamic CUSTOM ONE PRO
Sennheiser HD 558
Audio Technica ATH-A700X

This list is what I have been able to narrow down from lots of reading this forum ... and other sites.

The music I listen to is fairly wide ranging:

AC/DC
Metallica
Red Hot Chili Peppers
System of a Down
Volbeat
Eric Clapton
CCR
Chevelle
Pink Floyd
etc etc etc

Yeah I know that it is a rather odd and broad selection of music... I like nice warm tones, I really dislike shrill tweeters (most headphones dont have tweeters ... but you can probably guess what I mean). Basically everything from Classic Rock to modern Hard Rock along with some dubstep / electronica.

I would really like to hear everyones thoughts on what would make a really well rounded pair of headphones... Also if someone can think of a better portable amplifier than the FIIO E11 (around 50 - 60 dollars) I would appreciate that as well.

Finally, I want to thank everyone for their time... I know that it is valuable.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #29,413 of 29,490
Hey new here.
Little about me: I LOVE Hardstyle and mostly only that. I have a desktop and use most of my free time on listen to Hardstyle. I have a pair of ROCCAT Kave - Solid 5.1, fine headset to gaming. But i dont play games anymore. So im lookning for a very good pair of full size headphone to hardstyle. im not a basshead, but does like good bass in headphone

My sound card is build in my motherboard

I have looking at AKG K701.

Budget: max 350 $ on headphone, and 150$ on amp.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #29,414 of 29,490
Hi I am new to this forum and apologise if i have posted in the wrong place so please dont yell at me. I am considdering buying either a Sennheiser PC 360 Headset for Pro Gaming or Sennheiser PC 350 Special Edition High Performance Gaming Headset. I will be using these with a Lenovo w530 laptop with Dolby Home Theater v4. My laptop has the Lenovo mini dock 3 which means I have a mic input and head phone input instead of the headset imput that is just on the laptop. My question is will I need a mixamp or other device to get the most out of this headset or can I just plug and play? Also what would you suggest for me if not these gaming headsets?

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #29,415 of 29,490
Looking for a closed, semi open headphone with a open, airy sound with crisp highs without any form of harshness or sibilance, good crips detailed mids and quality tight punchy deep bass. Decent soundstage and imaging aswell.

Budget is around €150,- ($200).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back