++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #29,297 of 29,490
Hey Guys. I just brought a Denon AH-D600 over-ear headphones. Do I need an amp/dac? If so, I am looking for something around 300. Any recommendation?

OT. This is the headphone recommendation thread. There are forums specifically for discussing and seeking recommendations for full-sized and portable amps:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/5/headphone-amps-full-size
http://www.head-fi.org/f/105/portable-headphone-amps

May 31, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #29,298 of 29,490
currently ath-m50 and ath-ad900x closed about the same price on amazon is the ath-ad900x sound much better than the m50 cuz the m50 look more comfortable . which is better overall
and does the fiio e6 does any good to any of them?

May 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #29,299 of 29,490
Quote:
currently ath-m50 and ath-ad900x closed about the same price on amazon is the ath-ad900x sound much better than the m50 cuz the m50 look more comfortable . which is better overall
and does the fiio e6 does any good to any of them?

Oh man, you mean a900x and yes it is the better can... better sound stage, imaging, bass quality, mids are much more present and a fairly extended treble section with a touch of sparkle...

Comfort wise I like the Audio Technica wing system!.I have a smaller head and use a rubber band or hair tie to pull the wings together to keep them from sliding around Otherwise super comfy, moderate clamp force all around nice!

The M50's clamp a little more, the cups are smaller so they may bother your ears... I also tend to get sweaty ears much faster in them then the a900x. T

he a900x scales well with an amp the e6 will give you enough juice and a 3 band preset eq.

May 31, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #29,300 of 29,490
Quote:
Need a little more information...

1. Budget of $180-250.
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  4. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  5. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  6. Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?

I would use above all in the house, I have no particular preferences on 'isolation' s important is comfort given that I would use a lot of hours, usually listen to pop, hip-hop, rap, mp3 192 kbps, for the moment I do not have the source amplifiers would the sound card integrated on the motherboard / TV, (I'm also considering the purchase of a good sound card)...
those that have impressed me the most were these three
- Beyerdynamic custom one pro
- AKG k550
- AKG K242 HD

May 31, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #29,302 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
So i recently bought a FiiO E10 and a pair of ATH M50s.

Frankly i had no idea that the headphones were bass heavy. According to my ears the mids were just drowned in an ocean of bass, which i did not like at all. So i returned them for a full refund.

So my question now is, what pairs better with the e10, Beyerdynamic DT880 OR Sennheiser HD600 ? If i were to buy the DT880s, the 32 or 250 ohm version? (I suppose that i cant use the 600 ohm version with the E10 amp).

Also after about a month, i could afford the hifiman he 500. Would that be an overkill?

I just recently got the HE-400's and they are miles ahead of the HD600's IMO. Planar magnetic headphones have amazing bass and luscious mids. I'm not familiar with the HE-500 but my gut tells me that you'll be more satisfied with them. Also, IIRC, the HE-400 and HE-500 are 32 ohm, so that's a bonus.

Despite having low impedance orthos need a good amount of power to sound their best. What I've read is that 2W (2000mW) is enough to power most to their full potential aside from maybe the HE-6. I'd imagine even 1W would work out pretty well for the HE-500 but a lot of amps don't even put out that much, certainly not the E10. The HE-500 is 38 ohms but its sensitivity is only 89 db.

May 31, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #29,303 of 29,490
Quote:
I just recently got the HE-400's and they are miles ahead of the HD600's IMO. Planar magnetic headphones have amazing bass and luscious mids. I'm not familiar with the HE-500 but my gut tells me that you'll be more satisfied with them. Also, IIRC, the HE-400 and HE-500 are 32 ohm, so that's a bonus.

is that a common opinion? you're the first person i've seen say something like that in reference to the hd600.
just about 90% of any review praised them to extremes and considered them first in class in their price range and even better or in the same league than alot of higher priced headphones.
maybe in bass but in mids? i was under the impression hd600 was one of the best for that.

May 31, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #29,304 of 29,490
Quote:

Despite having low impedance orthos need a good amount of power to sound their best. What I've read is that 2W (2000mW) is enough to power most to their full potential aside from maybe the HE-6. I'd imagine even 1W would work out pretty well for the HE-500 but a lot of amps don't even put out that much, certainly not the E10. The HE-500 is 38 ohms but its sensitivity is only 89 db.

Well, what should buy after all?

I am leaning towards the hd600's, but would they work with the e10?

And in general i really dislike recessed mids.

May 31, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #29,305 of 29,490
Quote:
Well, what should buy after all?

I am leaning towards the hd600's, but would they work with the e10?

And in general i really dislike recessed mids.

The HD600 does have great mids that are anything but recessed. The E10 will drive it OK. Some people will tell you that they'll sound much better out of a better amp but I think they'll still sound great out of the E10. And though it probably won't drive them to ear-bleeding levels I'd imagine it will provide enough volume for you. You can always upgrade in the future. The HD600 scales very well with better equipment.

May 31, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #29,308 of 29,490
Hey everyone, I'm searching for a pair of headphones for about 100$ more or less, thing is that I need worldwide shipping since I live in Israel so Amazon pricing is quite tricky.
I listens to a very wide variety of music, from Dubstep to rock, from rap to jazz, vocal, soundtracks and on, and on...
If the headphones requires a decent amp/dac I don't mind as long as I don't need to spend more than extra 100$ for an amp.

Thanks in advance, Justlog.

May 31, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #29,309 of 29,490
So I'm not new here, I just tend to come and go. So after a few years of being content, I've been getting the itch to buy more stuff again and need an opinion. 

I'm looking for some new cans. I've had my Sennheiser HD 555s for a while now, and while I always liked them, I do want something a little more high end. I used these to get into the sound and learn what I like and I've had a few years with them and I think it's time to add to the collection. So here's what I'm looking for:

I have never used any other brand but Senn, but I do not want to limit myself to them. While I do quite like the sound signature of them, I don't want to say that they're my preferred without trying other stuff too. I generally listen to all types of rock and alternative rock (favorite artists: Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Staind, Linkin Park, Blink-182, Breaking Benjamin, Coldplay, Counting Crows, Foo Fighters, Goo Goo Dolls, on and on...), but also occasionally listen to hip-hop and frequently listen to spoken word (though spoken isn't a huge matter to me as long as I can understand the words). I have no clear idea of what type of signature I do prefer (I know I'm not a bass head, but I'm certainly not interested in only the highs either... just the overall sound. I like balance between the two, but like to see each show off sometimes if that makes any sense). That being said, I can't say I have anything wrong with the way the Senns sound. I've listened to the these cans, a lower end pair of Senns, and the HD650 and I've liked them all. So I've been seriously considering the Senn HD650s because I already know I like them, but I'm completely open to suggestions for me to research.

As far as for source goes, I usually use my computer, but I also have an AV receiver from the early 90s (Kenwood KA-895) and can give that a few different sources. I also have the NuForce uDac-2 (not sure if I really like this one yet...) and I am serious considering picking up the Schiit Modi+Magni combo.

Oh, and one more, semi-important bit: I have a retailer preference. I work at Best Buy and while I don't get a discount on much, headphones tend to have a significant discount there for me, and obviously if possible, I'd like to take advantage of that while I still work there. Please do not take this as me saying I won't think about cans that aren't sold there, but I will give a small bit of precedence to those that are there.

My budget is somewhere around $500 for cans that can be purchased at Best Buy (my discount and the financing helps) and around $350 from other retailers.

So knowing all this, any suggestions?

May 31, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #29,310 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

is that a common opinion? you're the first person i've seen say something like that in reference to the hd600.
just about 90% of any review praised them to extremes and considered them first in class in their price range and even better or in the same league than alot of higher priced headphones.
maybe in bass but in mids? i was under the impression hd600 was one of the best for that.

Don't know how common it is, but it's not mine.  I'd rather have the HD 600 between the two--and both are very good cans.  The mids of the HE 400 are just too funky--off neutral--for my taste.  I'd also take the DT 880 Premium over the HE 400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back