++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 31, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #29,281 of 29,490
I've listened to the Grado SR325is briefly so I can only tell you how I felt about them from that short session. Firstly they are open, so your sound leaks. If this is for private home use it's probably not a problem but do remember that sound can leak in from the outside world as well. They were also heavy, this isn't necessarily a bad thing for everyone as it's 100% subjective and I used them only briefly. They were comfortable enough otherwise. The sound was great for rock. I listened to some Megadeth, Dream Theater, Van Halen, and Led Zepplin. It handled it all very well. Very good handling of the bass for these bands. The mids highs were spot on as well. Grado really captured the sound of an electric guitar. The only issue I have with the sound is the amount of bass. I did not have time to try to EQ them and test if I can get more bass from them without muddying the rest of the sound, but the bass was good just didn't have enough punch at times. It was a bit odd to me because I expected a thump and I got one but it was reserved. I don't think they would work well for any music which has heavy bass emphasis like Rap and Dubstep. The clarity is pretty amazing. I don't know how else to describe it. You could hear everything, and when I say that I mean it. You really get to know the limits of the recording and source. Any poor recordings or low quality audio files will stand out.

Ok cool, thanks for the reply. This is basically what I wanted to know. As far as sounds leaking in from the outside, I'm fairly confident that the volume I choose to listen to all my music at is so high that it won't be an issue. I basically put headphones at as loud a volume as my ears can take without being in pain....lol. Probably not great for my eardrums, but that's how I choose to live. I've heard others say the bass seemed to be lacking a punch in regard to other Grado headphones as well. Were you driving the ones you mentioned listening to with an amp? I do plan to invest in an amp also as soon as money will allow. I don't have much experience with good quality cans, so an appropriate reference point for me would be a pair of $60 Skullcandy Hesh 2 (I think they were called?) The sound quality of those was pretty unimpressive overall, but the bass seemed to have a decent punch. As long as the Grado SR325is will have something around that in regards to bass punch, I will be happy. The main factor that concerns me is quality of sound, and I wouldn't be extremely upset to find these Grados being a little less aggressive bass-wise. Thanks again for the response!

May 31, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #29,282 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for a pair of gaming/music headphones. I mainly listen to rap/hip-hop and some dubstep. I also will be using them for gaming, which is pretty important.
I would prefer closed headphones but would still like ones with decent enough bass. I am currently using the Brainwavz HM5 and don't really like them much for the music I listen to.

My budget is $150.

Thanks.

An update on this post, my budget is actually up to $300.
I will use them pretty equally for gaming and music, but would like ones with good bass.

May 31, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #29,283 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for a pair of gaming/music headphones. I mainly listen to rap/hip-hop and some dubstep. I also will be using them for gaming, which is pretty important.
I would prefer closed headphones but would still like ones with decent enough bass. I am currently using the Brainwavz HM5 and don't really like them much for the music I listen to.

My budget is $150.

Thanks.

An update on this post, my budget is actually up to $300.
I will use them pretty equally for gaming and music, but would like ones with good bass.

A wide soundstage is good for gaming but its a bit hard to find closed cans with wide soundstages. I know the 770 has an impressively wide soundstage for being closed and I hear similar things about the Audio-Technica A900. You may want to check those out. Others will have more recommendations.

What don't you like about the HM5s?

May 31, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #29,284 of 29,490
Quote:

A wide soundstage is good for gaming but its a bit hard to find closed cans with wide soundstages. I know the 770 has an impressively wide soundstage for being closed and I hear similar things about the Audio-Technica A900. You may want to check those out. Others will have more recommendations.

What don't you like about the HM5s?

All right I'll check those out thanks. The HM5s are really nice and I really like them but when it comes to the music I listen to it just seems like the bass is not there.

May 31, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #29,285 of 29,490
Quote:

All right I'll check those out thanks. The HM5s are really nice and I really like them but when it comes to the music I listen to it just seems like the bass is not there.

I haven't heard the HM5s but I'd expect they have a decent amount of bass. If you're used to listening to a subwoofer you've probably got unreasonable expectations for headphones. Try EQ'ing the bass up on your HM5s and see how you like it. If ~ +5 db in the bass still isn't enough then you might be looking for an amount of bass impact that small speakers strapped to your head simply can't give you. Then again maybe the HM5 really are just a bit bass shy. Try some EQ and see what you think.

May 31, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #29,286 of 29,490
Quote:

I haven't heard the HM5s but I'd expect they have a decent amount of bass. If you're used to listening to a subwoofer you've probably got unreasonable expectations for headphones. Try EQ'ing the bass up on your HM5s and see how you like it. If ~ +5 db in the bass still isn't enough then you might be looking for an amount of bass impact that small speakers strapped to your head simply can't give you. Then again maybe the HM5 really are just a bit bass shy. Try some EQ and see what you think.

All right I tried that and it didn't make that much of a difference. I'm using these right now http://en-us.sennheiser.com/earphones-in-ear-headphones-cx-215 they are earbuds, I'm very new when it comes to headphones so maybe I'm just expecting something to much when it comes to the closed ones.

May 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #29,287 of 29,490
Hello fellows,

Moving on from my general upgrade query in the PC Audio forum, I'm currently looking at purchasing new headphones, a DAC and an amp. Seeing as this is the headphones recommendations thread, I've come here hoping for a few specific pointers for my new headphone purchase.

Summary
Have: I'm not satisfied with the degree of immersion I'm getting from my current audio setup, which consists of onboard sound and a pair of ATH-M50's. Specifically, I feel that the soundstage is too narrow and restricted, the sound is too 'linear' and I would definitely like more in the bass department (see below).

Want: Primarily, as improvements upon the M50s, I would like:

1. #1: Soundstage - Wide, voluminous. This is my main desire.
  2. #2: Bass - Warm, tight, full, transparent and prominent without being distorting or overbearing.
  3. Beyond these two things, I just want good clarity and nothing too aggressive.

I will only be using these headphones at home, for music and film, so I'm after an open pair. I mainly listen to electronic, ambient and jazz music. My total budget is about 750AUD - but that's including the DAC and amp, so I'm looking to spend up to about 450AUD for the headphones themselves.

The two obvious possibilities which have presented themselves to me are the Beyerdynamic DT 990 and the Sennheiser HD 650. From my reading, I'm currently leaning toward the HD 650's because they apparently have a superior soundstage, better mid-range and more warmth. I've also read that the DT 990's can be slightly aggressive with a bit too much high-end. I'd say I'm quite sensitive to high-end, so I don't want that.

Comments on the above two models would be most appreciated. Suggestions for other models are welcome also :) Thanks

May 31, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #29,288 of 29,490
Quote:

All right I tried that and it didn't make that much of a difference. I'm using these right now http://en-us.sennheiser.com/earphones-in-ear-headphones-cx-215 they are earbuds, I'm very new when it comes to headphones so maybe I'm just expecting something to much when it comes to the closed ones.

I have the CX200's and they are very bassy earbuds. If you are interested in a closed can with that kind of bass, look into the M-Audio Q40's. They have great, extended, punchy bass and smooth mids. The highs aren't quite as crisp as other headphones but I find them to be better than my CX200's. If you go to M-Audio's website and search "Q40" you'll find them for $99 which is an incredible deal.

May 31, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #29,290 of 29,490
Looking for a closed, semi-open headphone (shouldn't leak too much) with great, extended, tight punchy bass, full and clear mids, and crisp highs without being fatiguing or sibilant. Good comfort for like 2 hours, and decent soundstage and imaging. My budget is around €150,- ($200).

May 31, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #29,291 of 29,490
So i recently bought a FiiO E10 and a pair of ATH M50s.

Frankly i had no idea that the headphones were bass heavy. According to my ears the mids were just drowned in an ocean of bass, which i did not like at all. So i returned them for a full refund.

So my question now is, what pairs better with the e10, Beyerdynamic DT880 OR Sennheiser HD600 ? If i were to buy the DT880s, the 32 or 250 ohm version? (I suppose that i cant use the 600 ohm version with the E10 amp).

Also after about a month, i could afford the hifiman he 500. Would that be an overkill?

May 31, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #29,292 of 29,490
Quote:
That's interesting. For the last couple of months, MDR-1Rs were easily found for <$200. Amazon has it shot back up to $300. I'm sure if you look hard enough, you're going to find them for that magic $200 price and they'll be well worth it. Looks like some of the other stores in Amazon have them close to that price.

Appreciate that info. As usual, I have impeccable timing! Thanks again for your response.

May 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #29,293 of 29,490
Hey guys!

I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones, and my budget is around 200. I plan on using them for listening to dubstep and playing games.
I will use the on-board sound card on my motherboard. Don't want to spend money on an amp, but if you think its necessary, feel free to convince me otherwise. :)

I come from using the Sony XB-500 as headphones, and Logitech z623 speakers.

Right now I'm leaning towards the ATH-M50's.

May 31, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #29,295 of 29,490
Quote:
So i recently bought a FiiO E10 and a pair of ATH M50s.

Frankly i had no idea that the headphones were bass heavy. According to my ears the mids were just drowned in an ocean of bass, which i did not like at all. So i returned them for a full refund.

So my question now is, what pairs better with the e10, Beyerdynamic DT880 OR Sennheiser HD600 ? If i were to buy the DT880s, the 32 or 250 ohm version? (I suppose that i cant use the 600 ohm version with the E10 amp).

Also after about a month, i could afford the hifiman he 500. Would that be an overkill?

I just recently got the HE-400's and they are miles ahead of the HD600's IMO. Planar magnetic headphones have amazing bass and luscious mids. I'm not familiar with the HE-500 but my gut tells me that you'll be more satisfied with them. Also, IIRC, the HE-400 and HE-500 are 32 ohm, so that's a bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back