++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 27, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #29,116 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys I'm looking for some help. I'm looking for a pair of over the ear headphones and in ear headphones. I'm looking to spend around $100-$150 for the in ear and probably about $200-$300 for the over the ear. I listen to a lot of dubstep and hip hop with some rock and post-hardcore thrown in. I would love something with clean hard hitting bass if possible. Now i get a discount on headphones where i work, it varies from vendor to vendor and headphones (example I basically get 50% off all beats and 20%-40% on others) So i wouldn't mind if you recommended some stuff out of my price range cause my discount could bring it in.

Can't help you with your headphone portion of your post, as bass heavy cans are not my thing.  Perhaps someone else can assist with that.

However, this section is for full sized headphones only.  There is a recommendations thread in the portable headphones, IEM section of the forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

You need to post your IEM part of your post there.

May 27, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #29,117 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey, looking for a pair of headphones to get for my dad since he has just been using cheap junk forever. He listens to stuff like Pink Floyd, Genesis and Moody Blues (basically the alternative rocks of the 70s/80s) and some modern stuff like Muse.  I don't honestly know what kind of sound signature to look for since I'm sure he'd have no idea whether he likes mids more than treble or bass or what have you.  I don't want to get him something that's overly large/flashy since I don't think he'd like it (something more "discreet" would be better I suppose) and I don't think he'd like completely open headphones either, but again it's hard to say.  I plan to get these as a gift so I don't really want to ask him too many questions since he'll probably figure out my idea.

Looking to spend probably under $100 since I don't think he'd want something he knows is expensive (you might be noticing a theme here).  I was thinking maybe the MDR-V6s as a kind of safe choice, since even if he doesn't like them he could probably give me an idea of where to go from there and I could keep them for myself. 
biggrin.gif

Don't be cheap.  Get him the Alessandro MS-1 or 1i--at least the Grado SR 80i.

If closed get him the Sony MDR 7506.  They are better than the V6.

May 27, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #29,118 of 29,490
Quote:
I was thinking of Grados too, but the things I always read about fatiguing highs kind of put me off.  He listens to music for long periods of time (basically goes through several albums).

Those highs are not fatiguing for everyone.  Less so in general for older male ears.  Comfort can be an issue though for some.

May 27, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #29,119 of 29,490
Today I went to B&H to demo some headphones, glad I did. 

The V-Moda M80's sounded great, if they would only fit on my head. Couldn't get the cups low enough to sit properly on my ears (I have a normal head!). 

The Grado's were extremely too harsh, even if I put the treble down low via E17. I really wanted to like them but I just couldn't with my style of music. 

The DT880s were my favorite though they seemed hard to drive in the 250 version vs 32. Had some trouble even with a Zune / E17 setup. I can only imagine how difficult the 600 version would be. 
*it was a loud store so the open design fair better in my home*

ATH-M50's were another favorite of the demo's (price to performance wise). Sounded good, the highs needed to be turned down a bit but still sounded good. 

HD650's were great but I am not looking to spend that on 1 pair alone. I will wait for Newegg to have the HD600's for $320 again, then I will buy. 

I ended up ordering the DT880 & M50's, I think I will be happy with those two. 

May 27, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #29,120 of 29,490
Couple more questions, would you guys recommend the AKG 550 if I have the HD600?  I'm gonna keep my HD600s but want to try something different with closed headphones.  Also how does the sound quality of AKG 550 compare to HD600?

May 27, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #29,121 of 29,490
Quote:
Just did a listening test.  The O2 does a quality job powering the HE 500. 

It won't properly push the HE 6 though.  While it will produce enough volume, much of the bass goes missing.

That's great to hear, I think I'm going to get the HE-500s on demo from Electromod in the UK and I should have an EHP-O2 coming at the start of next month. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do and also I might try and see if I can do a comparison with the HD700s if my local shop will let me..

May 27, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #29,122 of 29,490
My last question before going to store
What would you think as a better choice: buying sennheiser HD 518 with a possibility of investing into amp in the near future, buying sennheiser HD 558 but without investing into the amp or  buying grado sr 225i

(type of music: I do not prefer specific type, I listen to jazz, alternative rock, rnb, hip hop, electronic(especially enjoying flying lotus, burial etc.) and other stuff too. 

here's my last fm for better check maybe http://www.last.fm/user/franko-bananko)
tnx in advance!

May 27, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #29,123 of 29,490
Quote:
My last question before going to store
What would you think as a better choice: buying sennheiser HD 518 with a possibility of investing into amp in the near future, buying sennheiser HD 558 but without investing into the amp or  buying grado sr 225i

(type of music: I do not prefer specific type, I listen to jazz, alternative rock, rnb, hip hop, electronic(especially enjoying flying lotus, burial etc.) and other stuff too. 

here's my last fm for better check maybe http://www.last.fm/user/franko-bananko)
tnx in advance!

Make sure to try the Senns & Grados together, very different in my opinion. I am a big Senn fan and I couldn't get over the harshness of the Grado's. 

May 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #29,124 of 29,490
Hello! I searched through the forums but hadn't seen this question asked.

I am looking for a solution primarily to use in my workplace for both listening to music (my listening is primarily rock music and voice podcasts) and for video and phone calls. As it is, I'm using my Etymotic ER-4Ps for audio and holding my phone or moving my computer closer to transmit my voice on calls, but I have gotten complaints about ambient noise through the mic. So, I'm thinking that headphones with an in-line mic will provide better sound from me (and will be comfortable wearing for long stretches while not blocking out all surrounding noise as the Etymotics do). Right now, I'm looking at the Aiaiai TMA-1 with mic ($190) or a mic-less pair teamed with the V-Moda mic cable. I haven't seen any mention of the mic quality in reviews of the TMA-1 or the V-Moda cable , unfortunately. Price range is about $200 total, and any help is appreciated.

May 27, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #29,125 of 29,490
I said nvm but heck, I'm asking again lol. Just how lousy is the bass on the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700? Their current price ($99) on the amazon memorial day sale is all kinds of tempting. And what about the AKG K240 studio headphones for that matter as they're also going for a similar price?

May 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #29,126 of 29,490
Quote:
I said nvm but heck, I'm asking again lol. Just how lousy is the bass on the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700? Their current price ($99) on the amazon memorial day sale is all kinds of tempting. And what about the AKG K240 studio headphones for that matter as they're also going for a similar price?

If you like bass above neutral the AD700 is not for you.  It is an excellent can for the money, but has below neutral bass--that's its only weakness (for can in this price range).

The K 240 is more balanced (read: more bass) but needs an amp.

May 27, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #29,127 of 29,490
Quote:
If you like bass above neutral the AD700 is not for you.  It is an excellent can for the money, but has below neutral bass--that's its only weakness (for can in this price range).

The K 240 is more balanced (read: more bass) but needs an amp.

thanks for the response. I'm talking to a friend about this as well. The AD700's price is tempting but my other option is just save up for the Sennheiser HD 598s and I'm kinda leaning toward that latter. 

May 27, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #29,130 of 29,490
Quote:

Isn't that the AD700's usual price?  I recall them always being around $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back