++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 26, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #29,056 of 29,490
Quote:
Yo bros, I got my Sennheiser 600 for about 1 yr and 4 months now with the Fiio e17+e9 am/dac.  I am very satisfied with it but I wanna get some new headphones, preferably closed headphones this time instead of open ones and under $500.  Is AKG550 a good choice or are there better headphones for less than $500?  I prefer to continue on using the e17+e9 combo because I can't afford to get new headphones as well as better amp/dac.  Thanks.

Were I you I'd use the money to upgrade my amp/dac.  The HD 600 scales up to what is feeding it.

In addition the $500 price range is more or less a dead zone for new closed cans.

May 26, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #29,057 of 29,490
Quote:
The HE 500 sound like the best match on both counts.  Plus it's also the best buy in the elite tier.

See (section and entire article):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13#user_HE500

Thanks, can you tell me how it compares to the LCD2 and the HD700/650? Also, how well do you think it would work with the O2 and what sort of amp would you be looking at upgrading to? Thanks for the help!

May 26, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #29,058 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The HE 500 sound like the best match on both counts.  Plus it's also the best buy in the elite tier.

See (section and entire article):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13#user_HE500

Thanks, can you tell me how it compares to the LCD2 and the HD700/650? Also, how well do you think it would work with the O2 and what sort of amp would you be looking at upgrading to? Thanks for the help!

See the article I linked in my last post.  All four are included in this excellent piece.

As I said in an earlier post, I have not yet paired my HE 500 with my O2.  If I get a chance to do so, I'll let you know what I hear.

May 26, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #29,059 of 29,490
Quote:
See the article I linked in my last post.  All four are included in this excellent piece.

As I said in an earlier post, I have not yet paired my HE 500 with my O2.  If I get a chance to do so, I'll let you know what I hear.

Okay thanks, I look forward to hearing what you think. The only problem is that I'm in the UK where instead of charging what they cost, they swap the dollar sign for a pound one so I'll have to look at shipping and import tax.

May 26, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #29,060 of 29,490
Quote:

Were I you I'd use the money to upgrade my amp/dac.  The HD 600 scales up to what is feeding it.

In addition the $500 price range is more or less a dead zone for new closed cans.

Will sound quality improve a lot if I get better amp/dac?  If so what would you recommend for $300-$400?

May 26, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #29,061 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Will sound quality improve a lot if I get better amp/dac?  If so what would you recommend for $300-$400?

Yes--that's you known (by me) weak link in the chain (although I don't know the format of your music and through what you play it).

Portable or desktop amp?

Can't help with the DAC, as I don't need a stand alone DAC for my vinyl, CD's & SACD's.

May 26, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #29,062 of 29,490
Hi guys, I'm looking for some headphones for my PC and when I was browsing the net and checking some reviews I found this 3 to be in my budget. I will use them 99% in gaming(all sorts of games from fps, rpg, mmo to racing games) and 1% music. I've never in my life had any headphones that were more than $10 so I can't really tell the difference between them even if I could try them before buying. So here they are: 
1.BEYERDYNAMIC DTX 710 $37
2.SUPERLUX HD681B $37

3.SENNHEISER HD 201 $27
Yeah I know they are not top of the line but I do not need anything better right now. So please help me choose between these :)  
And the source is Motherboard(ASRock Z77 pro 4) integrated audio card - 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec)

May 26, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #29,063 of 29,490
Quote:
Yes--that's you known (by me) weak link in the chain (although I don't know the format of your music and through what you play it).

Portable or desktop amp?

Can't help with the DAC, as I don't need a stand alone DAC for my vinyl, CD's & SACD's.

desktop

May 26, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #29,064 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys, I'm looking for some headphones for my PC and when I was browsing the net and checking some reviews I found this 3 to be in my budget. I will use them 99% in gaming(all sorts of games from fps, rpg, mmo to racing games) and 1% music. I've never in my life had any headphones that were more than $10 so I can't really tell the difference between them even if I could try them before buying. So here they are: 
1.BEYERDYNAMIC DTX 710 $37
2.SUPERLUX HD681B $37

3.SENNHEISER HD 201 $27
Yeah I know they are not top of the line but I do not need anything better right now. So please help me choose between these :)  
And the source is Motherboard(ASRock Z77 pro 4) integrated audio card - 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec)

Hey, I have the HD681B but I don't use it anymore because I found the treble to be really harsh. You might want to check out the HD681 EVO which seems to have fixed the treble problems of the 681, they look realy good too!

May 26, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #29,066 of 29,490
Hi everybody, having some second thoughts about buying myself a new pair of headphones

I've been saving money for some time and decided to buy sennheiser HD 518 at first but given how I never got to test any of the more expensive headphones, I have to say I'm a little bit scared I won't get what I want or there might be headphones better suited for what I'm listening to and there isn't too much options to try variety of headphones in my country before buying.

budget: same as sennheiser hd 518, its about 150 euros in my country

type of music: I do not prefer specific type, I listen to jazz, alternative rock, rnb, hip hop, electronic(especially enjoying flying lotus, burial etc.) and other stuff too

here's my last fm for better check maybe http://www.last.fm/user/franko-bananko

so I have two questions for help - 1. I'm a little bit scared how powerful or better to say overhelming the bass is because I do enjoy clarity, would like some nice soundstage and clear mids and highs not to be overshadowed by bass cuz bass is not the most important thing for me, overall sound quality is( although some bass impact is desireable).

2. some other headphones to check out because personally I get lost reading about all these headphones on internet , still new to this stuff

and sorry for my english, hope its understandable. Would appreciate any kind of advice but I'm fine if there is no right answer for me

thanks in advance

May 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #29,068 of 29,490
So what do you guys think is the current best closed headphone with the best detail retrieval and generally balanced?

Budget? And what do you intend to drive them with? And what do you mean by balanced? Some people define that as a flat (neutral) frequency response, but others define it to also include that the overall sonic signature is well-balanced and works together, even though there might be some emphasis on some part of the frequency spectrum.

May 26, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #29,069 of 29,490
Got 3 questions I need help on:

1) Is a 2nd hand HD598 at $160 a good deal assuming that the local price is around $280?

2) Has anyone ship headphones from a Japan company internationally? The price of the AD900X is really tempting at around $220 everything included as they claim. It is safe and will there be any more duty, taxes, other charges unseen?

3) How would the hd600, ad900x, and hd598 compare to each other and the he-400 since I have them and do no want another headphone that is too similiar.

Thanks a lot!

May 26, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #29,070 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget? And what do you intend to drive them with? And what do you mean by balanced? Some people define that as a flat (neutral) frequency response, but others define it to also include that the overall sonic signature is well-balanced and works together, even though there might be some emphasis on some part of the frequency spectrum.

My setup:

PC>Audiophilleo2>Metro Octave DAC>Meier Corda Classic.

I would prefer something that is simply neutral without emphasis on anything. A good all-rounder, just like my Beyer T1s, but closed.

EDIT: Budget is high and I want something hi-end

Users who are viewing this thread

Back