++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 25, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #29,042 of 29,490
The O2 is an excellent amp for most headphones--very neutral.  It's weaknesses are its input and output jacks/limitations.

I guess I could always do a bit of DIY to improve input/output options? What headphones would work well with it and would you still consider $1000 cans too good for it(even as a temporary solution)?

May 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #29,043 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The point is that if you are going to buy $1000 headphones, then you should be a higher quality amp to get the most out of them. But since you are already planning to do so, then the Magni would work fine to get you by.
smily_headphones1.gif

So which headphones would you recommend?

You need to tell us your preferred sound signature. 

Without it we will be listing our favorites based on our respective preferred sound signatures (and some additional secondary factors, including what amps we have).

May 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #29,044 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The O2 is an excellent amp for most headphones--very neutral.  It's weaknesses are its input and output jacks/limitations.

I guess I could always do a bit of DIY to improve input/output options? What headphones would work well with it and would you still consider $1000 cans too good for it(even as a temporary solution)?

You can build the O2 yourself.  I understand there are options when you do that.  I don't want a 1/8' headphone output (only) for my 1/4" plugs, which I have on almost all my top tier cans.

Other than the issues I mentioned, the O2 is a good amp and  at least worth of starter status with cans up to $1,000.  I believe it will push orthos like the HE 500 and LCD 2 (but not the HE 6), gut I have not put it that test.

May 25, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #29,045 of 29,490
I like well controlled bass, smooth mids (not recessed though like on my DT770s) and treble that's neither recessed or fatiguing but whose cymbal crashes really sparkle... ...In terms of genres I like a lot of rock/alternative, electronica, some dubstep and some classical.

Without it we will be listing our favorites based on our respective preferred sound signatures (and some additional secondary factors, including what amps we have).

here you go, if you need more information just ask.

May 25, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #29,046 of 29,490
Hello,

I am looking to upgrade from my Sennheiser HD 280 Pros which I have had since 2007. I am looking for something quite a bit more comfortable for wearing long hours during the day and into the night.

I will say that my music choices vary quite a bit, but I am mostly into Indie rock music such as The National, Broken Social Scene, etc. Although I do listen to a bit of classical and jazz as well when the mood fits me.

I do play a ton of games, but nothing that requires a competitive audio edge, but as such, comfort is pretty paramount.

I do not need isolation, but am not adverse to it either as my hd280s basically clamp out all the sound from around me and I have been used to that for the last 6 years. I do wear glasses, and did not when I got the 280s, but as it is now, the clamping on the frames of my glasses becomes a little uncomfortable after a few hours.

I will NOT be traveling with these, and as it is, they will be hooked up to a Nuforce uDAC-2 which I have heard isn't the best, but my friend told me to buy one, so I did years ago. I do plan on updating that as well to the Schiit Magni/Modi combo eventually.

My budget is around $250-350 for the headphones, but I can be a little flexible.

Thank you for your time!

Music examples-

1. The National - Blood Buzz Ohio
  2. Broken Social Scene - World Sick
  3. Stars - Elevator Love Letter

Basically anything from the Arts & Crafts label.

May 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #29,047 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi All,

I'm shopping for my first set of audiophile grade headphones. I mainly listen to rnb/hip hop, top 40, latin, vocal jazz, and the occasional classical. I currently have old Skullcandy lowrider on ear 30mm i still use. Also a pair of skullcandy Smokin Bud's in ear.
Reading up on how people describe sound here, this is how i would describe my set.

SC Lowriders:  semi-opened, wide soundstage, recessed lows, up front mids, and clear highs. - I do like how they but lack bass

SC Smokin Buds: Isolated, narrow soundstage, deep bass, muddy up front mids, and recessed highs. - i like the bass and isolation, didn't like the feel of the in ear though.

Reading the reviews, these are what i came up to for choice:

Pioneer Hdj-500
Audio Technica ATH-WS55
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohms - on the high end cost, will consider buying if these are the clear favourites.

I would probably also end up buying an Fiio e11 for any of the headphones listed.

Help me to decide. Thanks.

Quote:
Good if you're a basshead.  Enhanced bass does not wipe out mids or treble.

How does it compare to the ones i listed? which one would you buy?

May 25, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #29,048 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I like well controlled bass, smooth mids (not recessed though like on my DT770s) and treble that's neither recessed or fatiguing but whose cymbal crashes really sparkle... ...In terms of genres I like a lot of rock/alternative, electronica, some dubstep and some classical.

Quote:

here you go, if you need more information just ask.

Thanks--but for the best in this price range we need to know at least these two additional things:

Do you prefer a sound signature that leans toward dark (like the LCD 2), neutral (like the HE 500) or bright (like T1 and Grados)?

Second what kind and size of sound stage do you seek?

May 25, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #29,049 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,

I am looking to upgrade from my Sennheiser HD 280 Pros which I have had since 2007. I am looking for something quite a bit more comfortable for wearing long hours during the day and into the night.

I will say that my music choices vary quite a bit, but I am mostly into Indie rock music such as The National, Broken Social Scene, etc. Although I do listen to a bit of classical and jazz as well when the mood fits me.

I do play a ton of games, but nothing that requires a competitive audio edge, but as such, comfort is pretty paramount.

I do not need isolation, but am not adverse to it either as my hd280s basically clamp out all the sound from around me and I have been used to that for the last 6 years. I do wear glasses, and did not when I got the 280s, but as it is now, the clamping on the frames of my glasses becomes a little uncomfortable after a few hours.

I will NOT be traveling with these, and as it is, they will be hooked up to a Nuforce uDAC-2 which I have heard isn't the best, but my friend told me to buy one, so I did years ago. I do plan on updating that as well to the Schiit Magni/Modi combo eventually.

My budget is around $250-350 for the headphones, but I can be a little flexible.

Thank you for your time!

Music examples-

1. The National - Blood Buzz Ohio
  2. Broken Social Scene - World Sick
  3. Stars - Elevator Love Letter

Basically anything from the Arts & Crafts label.

Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

I don't know your equipment at all and will assume that it provides no amplification.  That being the case, you should look into the Sony MDR 7520 and Audio-Technica ATH-AD1000x.

Many more cans come into play with a decent amp, like the Q701 and DT 880 (+/- Pro).

May 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #29,050 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hi All,

I'm shopping for my first set of audiophile grade headphones. I mainly listen to rnb/hip hop, top 40, latin, vocal jazz, and the occasional classical. I currently have old Skullcandy lowrider on ear 30mm i still use. Also a pair of skullcandy Smokin Bud's in ear.
Reading up on how people describe sound here, this is how i would describe my set.

SC Lowriders:  semi-opened, wide soundstage, recessed lows, up front mids, and clear highs. - I do like how they but lack bass

SC Smokin Buds: Isolated, narrow soundstage, deep bass, muddy up front mids, and recessed highs. - i like the bass and isolation, didn't like the feel of the in ear though.

Reading the reviews, these are what i came up to for choice:

Pioneer Hdj-500
Audio Technica ATH-WS55
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohms - on the high end cost, will consider buying if these are the clear favourites.

I would probably also end up buying an Fiio e11 for any of the headphones listed.

Help me to decide. Thanks.

Quote:
Good if you're a basshead.  Enhanced bass does not wipe out mids or treble.

How does it compare to the ones i listed? which one would you buy?

I wouldn't buy any of them, as I do not like a bass heavy sound signature.

May 25, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #29,051 of 29,490
I just got the JVC HA-S500s. These things have tons of bass, are well under the price of the M50s, and are considered amazing for that price. They are in the top 10 (number 7, I do believe) for on-ear headphones, if that's any indication of the quality.

May 26, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #29,052 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget: 200 euros. 
My choices right now: 
Audio technica ATH-M50
Beyerdynamic COP 
V-MODA Crossfade LP or m80
Beyerdynamic DT770 32ohm 

I'm going to use them in and outdoors. 
music I listen to: onerepublic, lana del rey, florence and the machine, the script etc. 
Using a cowon J3 AND NO AMP

If you know any other headphones in that price range that blows those 4 away, tell me and I'll look into it. 
Thanks. 

So for I've got the AKG K550, M40's and SHURE SRH840 as recommendations. I'm going to listen to the AKG and SHURE today, can't seem to find the M40's anywhere in the netherlands. 
Anyone got more suggestions for me, as I'm going to try them about at a local store. 

May 26, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #29,053 of 29,490
Yo bros, I got my Sennheiser 600 for about 1 yr and 4 months now with the Fiio e17+e9 am/dac.  I am very satisfied with it but I wanna get some new headphones, preferably closed headphones this time instead of open ones and under $500.  Is AKG550 a good choice or are there better headphones for less than $500?  I prefer to continue on using the e17+e9 combo because I can't afford to get new headphones as well as better amp/dac.  Thanks.

May 26, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #29,054 of 29,490
Thanks--but for the best in this price range we need to know at least these two additional things:

Do you prefer a sound signature that leans toward dark (like the LCD 2), neutral (like the HE 500) or bright (like T1 and Grados)?

Unfortunately there's no where near me where I can demo the ones you've listed. I think I prefer neutral to dark sound but I listened to the HD700s yesterday (which I think are supposed to be bright?) and I enjoyed them but they were a tad fatiguing.

in terms of soundstage, I find my DT770/80 pros a bit congested but I also found the HD800s a bit too spacious and distant almost so a happy medium would be good.

May 26, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #29,055 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately there's no where near me where I can demo the ones you've listed. I think I prefer neutral to dark sound but I listened to the HD700s yesterday (which I think are supposed to be bright?) and I enjoyed them but they were a tad fatiguing.

in terms of soundstage, I find my DT770/80 pros a bit congested but I also found the HD800s a bit too spacious and distant almost so a happy medium would be good.

The HE 500 sound like the best match on both counts.  Plus it's also the best buy in the elite tier.

See (section and entire article):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13#user_HE500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back