++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #29,011 of 29,490
I can get one for 160 euros at an online store within the netherlands. I'm not sure if I like them, I've read some reviews about them and they don't seem seem to be as good as the headphones I've listed. 

I own the M50s, and the K550s are a much better headphone overall. I would argue, a higher class of headphone. Read this review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone.

May 24, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #29,012 of 29,490
Depends on your taste but i am using the k550 and it just sounds great it makes me want to tap my feet and it's also musical.

K550 would be a great choice i mean it's the bass that does it and i won't bother look into the ath900x whatever, its deep and extends well any case these headphones with it's 3d like spacious sound

Anyways these headphones made me jump being spooked out of my collection only the k550 did this and another one being surprised out of his collection of headphones this is the only one and another one thinking there was thunder outside.

I am finding it hard to find these headphones boring  with the way the overall presentation is like, it is the bass that does it and well balanced.

May 24, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #29,014 of 29,490
Does anyone with the k550's think they have a close to perfect amp pairing with them?

Better to ask that question in the appreciation thread where you'll find many AKG K550 owners: http://www.head-fi.org/t/613707/the-akg-k550-appreciation-discussion-thread/525

Nice thing about it is that it does quite well with portable devices. Sure. It's a fine headphone that definitely benefits from amping, but the low impedance does make them easy to drive.

May 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #29,015 of 29,490
Quote:
Better to ask that question in the appreciation thread where you'll find many AKG K550 owners: http://www.head-fi.org/t/613707/the-akg-k550-appreciation-discussion-thread/525

Nice thing about it is that it does quite well with portable devices. Sure. It's a fine headphone that definitely benefits from amping, but the low impedance does make them easy to drive.

Thanks for the response! I am currently using the hisoundaudio N1 and it spits out around 45mW. Do you think this is suitable for the k550?

May 24, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #29,017 of 29,490
Quote:
I have no idea
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha. Neither do I. :)

May 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #29,018 of 29,490
45mW into 32 ohm probably? 
a bit confusing

May 24, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #29,019 of 29,490
Guys I'm trying to decide between Soundmagic HP100, Sony MDR-R1, and VModa M100. Using it as portable can for galaxy s4 -> leckerton uha. Mostly listening to Coldplay, Keane, Imaging Dragons, John Legend kind of pop rock, jazz and R&B.

I'm leaving towards HP100 based on clarity, balance and sound stage. V Moda looks amazing and Sony is on sale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

May 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #29,020 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget: 200 euros. 
My choices right now: 
Audio technica ATH-M50
Beyerdynamic COP 
V-MODA Crossfade LP or m80
Beyerdynamic DT770 32ohm 

I'm going to use them in and outdoors. 
music I listen to: onerepublic, lana del rey, florence and the machine, the script etc. 
Using a cowon J3. 

If you know any other headphones in that price range that blows those 4 away, tell me and I'll look into it. 
Thanks. 

SHR-840 is worth to try

May 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #29,021 of 29,490
Hey. I posted a while ago, but I have a new budget and need a new recommendation.

My budget is $100-150, but closer to $100 would be preferable.

The music that I listen to varies greatly. Mostly acoustic and electronic (kind of bass heavy music), but occasionally I'll be using them to listen to listen to video games on my PC.

I'm currently looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50, and I listen to them at a local Guitar Center, but they sound kind of eh.. The pair I listened to was brand new out of the box, and I've heard that these sound a lot better after burn in. Is that true?

Also, my sources will be an un-amped Sansa Fuze+ and my PC with Realtek Audio (Bleh).

Thank you.

May 25, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #29,022 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey. I posted a while ago, but I have a new budget and need a new recommendation.

My budget is $100-150, but closer to $100 would be preferable.

The music that I listen to varies greatly. Mostly acoustic and electronic (kind of bass heavy music), but occasionally I'll be using them to listen to listen to video games on my PC.

I'm currently looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50, and I listen to them at a local Guitar Center, but they sound kind of eh.. The pair I listened to was brand new out of the box, and I've heard that these sound a lot better after burn in. Is that true?

Also, my sources will be an un-amped Sansa Fuze+ and my PC with Realtek Audio (Bleh).

Thank you.

if you're leaning more to the acoustic side of things, might want to check out the audio-technica ad700 at $99.
it's decent with games as well.

but it does suck at bass badly in my opinion, i do own them.. they were my first "good" (decent is a better description but for me it was my first expensive to me at the time pair) headphones.. they also pretty much leak all noise out and are pretty loud to the outside if that's an issue.
[pretty decent with female vocals/strings/chorus/piano to my ears]

but might be something to check out as a in between headphone while you save up to get a truly solid pair.. i think you can use them without an amp even? maybe someone else can confirm that.. i didn't use it with an amp and just used my motherboard/realtek hd drivers.

not saying, i recommend you go out and buy them just something to consider/research... perhaps others can give you more suggestions also for a good variety to research.

May 25, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #29,023 of 29,490
Hi All,

I'm shopping for my first set of audiophile grade headphones. I mainly listen to rnb/hip hop, top 40, latin, vocal jazz, and the occasional classical. I currently have old Skullcandy lowrider on ear 30mm i still use. Also a pair of skullcandy Smokin Bud's in ear.
Reading up on how people describe sound here, this is how i would describe my set.

SC Lowriders:  semi-opened, wide soundstage, recessed lows, up front mids, and clear highs. - I do like how they but lack bass

SC Smokin Buds: Isolated, narrow soundstage, deep bass, muddy up front mids, and recessed highs. - i like the bass and isolation, didn't like the feel of the in ear though.

Reading the reviews, these are what i came up to for choice:

Pioneer Hdj-500
Audio Technica ATH-WS55
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohms - on the high end cost, will consider buying if these are the clear favourites.

I would probably also end up buying an Fiio e11 for any of the headphones listed.

Help me to decide. Thanks.

May 25, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #29,024 of 29,490
Hello,

Looking for a new headphones as a replacement for my Sennheiser hd 202.

Budget: cheap, not more than 100€, so it is about $130.

Source: mainly my laptop and some mp3 player.

Past headphones: hd 202, really like them, maybe to much bass, I don't have nothing else to compare them to, but sometimes it seems that midrange and especially highs "drowns" in bass, well I don't know how to explain this...

Preferred Music: progressive rock(King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Rush, Tool, Porcupine tree), post-hardcore(Fugazi, Lungfish), grunge(Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains), classic rock(Led Zeppelin, Doors, Hendrix), stoner rock, jazz, classical, sometimes ambient, psychill, psybient.

I am considering Grado SR60i or MS1. Am I on the right track?

May 25, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #29,025 of 29,490
Hello,

Looking for a new headphones as a replacement for my Sennheiser hd 202.

Budget: cheap, not more than 100€, so it is about $130.

Source: mainly my laptop and some mp3 player.

Past headphones: hd 202, really like them, maybe to much bass, I don't have nothing else to compare them to, but sometimes it seems that midrange and especially highs "drowns" in bass, well I don't know how to explain this...

Preferred Music: progressive rock(King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Rush, Tool, Porcupine tree), post-hardcore(Fugazi, Lungfish), grunge(Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains), classic rock(Led Zeppelin, Doors, Hendrix), stoner rock, jazz, classical, sometimes ambient, psychill, psybient.

I am considering Grado SR60i or MS1. Am I on the right track?

I own the sr60i and personally prefer all of the music you listed on either the sennheiser hd280 or the pioneer se-a1000 with the pioneers being the clear winner.

Grados are good if the pioneers are too big.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back