++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 19, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #28,771 of 29,490
Quote:
Something that is efficient has no need for an amp or DAC. It can play music straight out of an mp3 player or a smart phone.

Ok so, neutral headphones that do not need an amp or DAC on a 250$ budget. sounds manageable! The buying guide seems to suggest Audio-Technica ATH-A900X or Audio Technica ATHESW9A.The price of the A900X is appealing.

May 19, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #28,773 of 29,490
Okay Head-Fi I finally have the money, but now I can't decide which pair to purchase. So help me decide. I am looking at the following: v-moda M100, DT770 90 Ohm, Yamaha pro 500. They will be used in public with a fiio e11 and various sources for my music. I like a huge variety of music including rap, rock, classical, country, and alternative. I want something that will be slightly forgiving and fun because I listen to pandora and mog alot of the time. Help me! :) Also I will take similar suggestions, but those are the ones that stand out. Thanks in advance!

May 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #28,778 of 29,490
Hi...I'm liking the website, forum and reviews here.  Anyone want to recommend good headphones for me?

Music genres: mostly classic rock, new wave/punk, some jazz.
Portable: No, only home stereo
Price range: up to $350
Amped: Yes
Closed/Open: I'm undecided.  Have heard open gives a more accurate sound.  Don't need noise-cancelling
Headphone preference: Most important is clear accurate representation.  Don't want "battery" accessories or mic, only headphones and cord.

Most recent headphones are Sennheiser HD595.  Had problem with "clipping" when turned up loud, and the headcushion has come off.  Also have the Sony MDR-V6 for work.  I find the Sennheisers more accurate, "lifelike", or better dynamic range than the Sonys.

Would prefer closed, but if best quality is with open, I'll go with open.  Looking at reviews for AKG K550, Sony MDR-1R, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Sennheiser Momentum--but I'm open to anything.

May also need to buy a better receiver to power my CD player etc.  Currently have old Denon DRA-275R (60W per channel).  And thinking I may need to buy an EQ to get sound where I want it...maybe not even good headphones will provide the balance I want.  Any thoughts are welcome...thanks!

May 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #28,779 of 29,490
I think the Yamaha's will be the most balanced in presentation and hence good all-rounders.

Yeah, it's just a decent investment for my ears and I want to make sure I choose wisely. But like I said the headphones are for public use mainly my job which is in a quiet office that has echoing issues, hence the closed headphones. But anybody have any other pairs I should consider before making a purchase?

May 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #28,780 of 29,490
Yeah, it's just a decent investment for my ears and I want to make sure I choose wisely. But like I said the headphones are for public use mainly my job which is in a quiet office that has echoing issues, hence the closed headphones. But anybody have any other pairs I should consider before making a purchase?

I'd recommend Soundmagic HP100's as they're quite neutral and isolate really well. Plus they come with a nice hard case.

The other headphones you have mentioned are more v-shaped in frequency response so they'd be more "fun"sounding but might not do that well with a broader range of music, especially vocally driven songs.

May 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #28,781 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi...I'm liking the website, forum and reviews here.  Anyone want to recommend good headphones for me?

Music genres: mostly classic rock, new wave/punk, some jazz.
Portable: No, only home stereo
Price range: up to $350
Amped: Yes
Closed/Open: I'm undecided.  Have heard open gives a more accurate sound.  Don't need noise-cancelling
Headphone preference: Most important is clear accurate representation.  Don't want "battery" accessories or mic, only headphones and cord.

Most recent headphones are Sennheiser HD595.  Had problem with "clipping" when turned up loud, and the headcushion has come off.  Also have the Sony MDR-V6 for work.  I find the Sennheisers more accurate, "lifelike", or better dynamic range than the Sonys.

Would prefer closed, but if best quality is with open, I'll go with open.  Looking at reviews for AKG K550, Sony MDR-1R, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Sennheiser Momentum--but I'm open to anything.

May also need to buy a better receiver to power my CD player etc.  Currently have old Denon DRA-275R (60W per channel).  And thinking I may need to buy an EQ to get sound where I want it...maybe not even good headphones will provide the balance I want.  Any thoughts are welcome...thanks!

Maybe a Grado SR-325i? Grado is known for being great with rock music. They'll be brighter then the 595s for sure, but they should sound great with that kind of music.

May 20, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #28,782 of 29,490
Hey guys!

So I have had owned the ATH-M50's for a couple years now, and I've loved them. I owned the ATH-ESW9's for about a week before I got them, and I was not impressed! When my M50's showed up for less money I was so excited. I instantly loved the clarity, bass, sparkly clear highs, and sturdiness of them (to my inexperienced ears). The ESW9's did not even begin to wow me.

Recently I bought a pair of Monster Turbines just to have some IEMs around as carrying around full-size headphones everywhere isn't always possible. When I first heard music through them I was not impressed much with their highs that I was so used to with my M50's. After a few minutes of listening I decided to compare the sounds between the IEM's and my M50's and I was instantly taken aback - my M50's felt a bit washed out, and the great bass I thought I had with the M50's didn't seem to be anywhere near as impressive as I was used to. Back to the IEM's... the bass is great, some music feels and sounds better through them, but I'm missing my full clarity and highs from my full size.

So now, I want to upgrade my headphones.

For about $300 or under, I want headphones that have great, powerful bass and lower end like my Turbines while retaining the clarity, detail, and sparkly highs of my M50's. I also hear the M50's do not have much of a soundstage - so maybe I want to experience that. Lately I have been listening the following: Radiohead (and related projects), Animal Collective, Flying Lotus (and similar), Ratatat, Neutral Milk Hotel, Vampire Weekend, trap and dubstep, to name a few. $300 is about my limit but I can probably convince myself to save up a little bit more - but I'd rather keep it under $300 as a college student.

I definitely want over-ear, and I probably want closed-back as I'm not a fan of others hearing what I'm listening to. I own a Fiio E5 for my iPod and a Fiio E9 for my laptop. Currently I listen primarily on my laptop/E9.  The new WS99 look appealing to me as well as the DT770's, but I really have no idea. Help me out!

May 20, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #28,783 of 29,490
I'd recommend Soundmagic HP100's as they're quite neutral and isolate really well. Plus they come with a nice hard case.

The other headphones you have mentioned are more v-shaped in frequency response so they'd be more "fun"sounding but might not do that well with a broader range of music, especially vocally driven songs.

Well from what I can see I don't think I will like the HP100's, though I must say thank you I wasn't even aware those existed and now will have to try out a pair. That being said I am not ready to give up the v shape freq response (given that I currently use Sony xb500 's) the only reason I can't use the xb500's is because of the sound leakage. I like them, but the bass is not clear enough (though the bass volume is superb) and the mids and highs are not quite what I want. I need a bit more mid bass punch and not harsh but detailed highs. Another note is I have a largish noggin, I'm beginning to lean heavily toward the 500 pros. But still am open to suggestions.

May 20, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #28,784 of 29,490
hi i have been through plenty of headphones, (ATH-AD700, SkullCandy Aviators, K550, K701 and currently K240 studio), but recently i've acquired some Klipsch RB-51 II speakers and would like some headphones that sound like them. they are a horn loaded speaker, so i don't know what that would equate to in headphones or if it has an equal. also, i am using a FiiO E17+E10 combo and would like to upgrade that. i'm interested in tubes, but what exactly is "rolling" tubes and is it worth the investment? thanks for the help.

May 20, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #28,785 of 29,490
Quote:
Well from what I can see I don't think I will like the HP100's, though I must say thank you I wasn't even aware those existed and now will have to try out a pair. That being said I am not ready to give up the v shape freq response (given that I currently use Sony xb500 's) the only reason I can't use the xb500's is because of the sound leakage. I like them, but the bass is not clear enough (though the bass volume is superb) and the mids and highs are not quite what I want. I need a bit more mid bass punch and not harsh but detailed highs. Another note is I have a largish noggin, I'm beginning to lean heavily toward the 500 pros. But still am open to suggestions.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRXB500.pdf

If you like these, you will find a neutral headphone incredibly bright with a focus on treble. There are some darker headphones out there for you (IE Sennheiser) that still keep all the detail you want.

I'd say the Sennheiser Momentum's would be great for you, they have more foward mids while having a much more clean and powerful bass then the XB500s.

Here is momentums graph:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserMomentum.pdf

As you can see, it has much stronger mids, isolates even more, and it has much cleaner mids and treble.

Edit: Checking out the Pro500s, they won't be too bright for you, they aren't overly neutral. They look a lot like the HA-S500s, really. Just as clear and detailed as the momentums it looks like, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back