++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 19, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #28,726 of 29,490
Yes, that's what i meant, sorry, Alessandro- I'll edit. I do know about the signatures, that's basically what I've gathered, I just wanted to get an opinion/other peoples experience with the essence stx and either one of those cans... I'm personally leaning towards the DT880, mainly due to not having owned bass heavy headphones before.

May 19, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #28,727 of 29,490
Hello everyone.  Complete new here so first off thanks to the community for this awesome site.  I have been lurking it for over a year.

I am finally in a situation where a good set of headphones is a priority. (roomates in a permanent quiet zone)

Price Range: Would prefer under $200, but would max at $300
Source: g1.sniper.m3 onboard RECON3d
Use: Music / Gaming mostly rock/some edm
Current: Bose qc15 / Triton Detonator(xbox) / Beats IEM

I'm a serious music lover and have a brother for an audiophile so I love crystal clear audio but have never really delved into the headphone world.  I believe what I'm looking for is something to blow me away with mid/high clarity, but still have some bass punch.  Currently I only really listen to the QC15's which are awesome on a plane, but im sure in my quiet room I can do MUCH better.

From my perusing on here I think I would like something like DT-990-pro or Q701's but fear that the impedance might be a bit much for the onboard amp.  Down the road in 6 months or so I would probably have the cash to spring for a tube amp or something, but just not right now.

There are just so many options and I dont have the ability to go test run anything at an audio store.  

Thanks for any advice!

May 19, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #28,728 of 29,490
Hi all, I write because I'm looking for some new headphones to use on my PC. (I do not need to be portable) and I need some help.

First I would like to cover its entire ear, not just a part, because they are full of whole ear seem much more comfortable to use a long time.

I will be using to listen to electronic music (hardcore / hardstyle / minimal / house) and also some hip-hop.

I have a budget of around € 150-200, I hope you can help me, the truth is that I would really appreciate it.

Thanks and regards

May 19, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #28,729 of 29,490
[size=10pt]So i have been using SRH840 for a few months now after they were recommended in this threat. I like their clarity and accuracy, but i find them cold, too thin, and "un-exited"? What would be a good upgrade if i want more warmth, wider soundstage and more musicality (i guess)? I mostly listen to electronic music (Ricardo Villalobos, Shed, Legowelt, Drexciya), funk & soul (Prince, Al Green, Motown), 60-70's pop-rock (Steely Dan, Elton John, Neil Young, Paul Mccartney, Fleetwood Mac), some classical (Steve Reich, Pat Metheny, Keith Jarret), and rarely to jazz (Mingus, Coltrane)[/size]. Currently my sources are my laptop and iPhone. I am not using any amp, but am thinking of buying the Yulong U100 as my laptop’s sound card is terrible.
[size=10pt]I guess I would be ok with closed or open headphones. My budget would be max 230 euros.[/size]

May 19, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #28,730 of 29,490
Quote:
[size=10pt]So i have been using SRH840 for a few months now after they were recommended in this threat. I like their clarity and accuracy, but i find them cold, too thin, and "un-exited"? What would be a good upgrade if i want more warmth, wider soundstage and more musicality (i guess)? I mostly listen to electronic music (Ricardo Villalobos, Shed, Legowelt, Drexciya), funk & soul (Prince, Al Green, Motown), 60-70's pop-rock (Steely Dan, Elton John, Neil Young, Paul Mccartney, Fleetwood Mac), some classical (Steve Reich, Pat Metheny, Keith Jarret), and rarely to jazz (Mingus, Coltrane)[/size]. Currently my sources are my laptop and iPhone. I am not using any amp, but am thinking of buying the Yulong U100 as my laptop’s sound card is terrible.
[size=10pt]I guess I would be ok with closed or open headphones. My budget would be max 230 euros.[/size]

Get grado sr60i and koss ksc75. Get both. Or get 2 of each and you'll still have money left over for a good amp. :)

May 19, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #28,731 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone.  Complete new here so first off thanks to the community for this awesome site.  I have been lurking it for over a year.

I am finally in a situation where a good set of headphones is a priority. (roomates in a permanent quiet zone)

Price Range: Would prefer under $200, but would max at $300
Source: g1.sniper.m3 onboard RECON3d
Use: Music / Gaming mostly rock/some edm
Current: Bose qc15 / Triton Detonator(xbox) / Beats IEM

Open headphones leak though? 

May 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #28,732 of 29,490
Quote:
Open headphones leak though? 

I've never had a set of open headphones, are they fairly loud?  My main concern was really that i cant crank a stereo.  The roommate is on opposite shift so normally not here, but people in other rooms are.

May 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #28,733 of 29,490
Quote:
I've never had a set of open headphones, are they fairly loud?  My main concern was really that i cant crank a stereo.  The roommate is on opposite shift so normally not here, but people in other rooms are.

Well it depends on what volume you listen to and the headphones themselves, but yeah they usually leak a lot. I have a pair of Grado's and it's like putting a pair of speakers strapped to your head.

May 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #28,734 of 29,490
Hi all, I write because I'm looking for some new headphones to use on my PC. (I do not need to be portable) and I need some help.

First I would like to cover its entire ear, not just a part, because they are full of whole ear seem much more comfortable to use a long time.

I will be using to listen to electronic music (hardcore / hardstyle / minimal / house) and also some hip-hop.

I have a budget of around € 150-200, I hope you can help me, the truth is that I would really appreciate it.

Thanks and regards

if you're ok with an open can, I'd suggest the dt999 (any version, the pro will probably be cheapest)... Its super comfy, and excels at your choices in music.

however, it will need an amp to drive them properly...

May 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #28,735 of 29,490
Looking for something in the $100 range for the following traits: removable cable, slightly elevated bass and mids, rolled off highs at around 18khz, closed back, fully circumaural (think full sized audio technicas for an example of fully circumaural.

Anything? I'm gonna pick up the skullcandy slyr and give it a test run.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk 2

You guys skipped me

May 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #28,736 of 29,490
Highly recommand DT880 over HD600. I have them both and the 880's neutral sounds signiture guarantees more fun in classicals than it with HD600+Cardas replacement cable. I have aesthetic fatigue over HD600's sense of hall music.

May 19, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #28,738 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks and regards

if you're ok with an open can, I'd suggest the dt999 (any version, the pro will probably be cheapest)... Its super comfy, and excels at your choices in music.

however, it will need an amp to drive them properly...

I assume you are referring to the DT 990.

May 19, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #28,739 of 29,490
I was hoping for alternatives. The mep8323 is fairly uncomfortable. Not quite big enough.

For an example of just right, look at the ath-t400 for an example. Slightly larger cup/pad than m50 for example.

Sub-100 cans I can think of with detatchable cable;

Skullcandy slyr: $60 after tax
Skullcandy hesh 2 $50
Monoprice mep8323 $30

Oh, detatchable cable isn't 100% necessary, single cable entry is fine too. I can mod it to be detatchable.

May 19, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #28,740 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Looking for something in the $100 range for the following traits: removable cable, slightly elevated bass and mids, rolled off highs at around 18khz, closed back, fully circumaural (think full sized audio technicas for an example of fully circumaural.

Anything? I'm gonna pick up the skullcandy slyr and give it a test run.

You guys skipped me

Does such a can exist?  I don't know of any, but then that sound signature is not one that I seek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back