++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 16, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #28,621 of 29,490
OK, broken into the basics: closed, durable, comfortable full sized geadphones. Very engaging vocal reproduction, impactful bass. 300 USD or under.

K550 lacks bass impact, and has problems with a lack of clamp. Momentums were too small (cups) and sounded too congested.

50% alt rock like Phoenix, Killers, 30% pop/female vocals like Marina, Florence, 20% electro like Glitch Mob, Kaskade.

Was considering ath ws99 and ath es700. Any recommendations on any headphones similar to the criteria are welcome.

May 16, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #28,623 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey,

I'am looking to get some cheap price, may be even secondhand headphones to watch movies.

With Movies I guess the midrange is vital, so is the low end.
Mainly going to be used for movies, no musical requirements here.

I have tried the Sennheisser wireless ones, and they sound rubbish.
I know corded headphones are the way to go even with TV viewing.
Thanks in advance.

Guys ?

May 16, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #28,624 of 29,490
I don't have experience with movies for headphones, sadly. Also, what do you mean when you say cheap? I know some people on here, whether it be sarcastic or dead-serious, will recommend you a $200 pair of headphones. For a great experience, I'd assume a great soundstage would be useful, but I highly doubt you'll find one under $100 that also has bass. The Midrange is vital to the voice, of course, and the bass is for EXPLOSIONS! Treble just helps with soundstage. I'd suggest checking out the gaming thread, because headphones that work well with games should also work well with movies.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-4-30-13-koss-esp-950-added

May 17, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #28,625 of 29,490
Will a Fiio E07K get rid of hissing I hear on some of my FLACs? And does hissing imply a bad file/source, or underpowered cans?

Also, does anyone know where I can get spare earpads for SA5000's?

May 17, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #28,626 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, just a new member lurking here
biggrin.gif
I posted in the iem thread asking for recommendations, but would like to have some recommendations on headphones too, as I am either getting iems or headphones
biggrin.gif

My budget is around $500 SGD. For headphones, I would like a good soundstage. I will be using these for my laptop and my phone, hence it should be easy to drive without maxing out the volume. Sound signature wise, tight strong bass with clear vocals and detailed highs, also I am wearing spectacles hence comfort is a must.

I am looking at the sennheiser momentum and the vmoda m100s, I read reviews that the m100s are very easy to drive but for some reason it is very soft on my galaxy s3.. I am open to other suggestions too! Close and open, no preference, as long as it is loud enough without cranking up the volume.

For $400 (or less) U.S., you can get the Sony MDR 7520.  Don't know whether or not that translate to your market.

May 17, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #28,627 of 29,490
Do you hear the hissing when nothing is playing or is it just during certain songs? I don't believe an amp could possibly get rid of it if its part of the song, and if its part of the source itself (IE the sound card) then you need to get a DAC I believe.

Okay, now how about I ask what I should get for portable use! I would like to get a headphone that is very portable, something that can be folded up and thrown in a bag, that isolates very well, and has a sound quality suitable to both EDM (most commonly dubstep) and Orchestral music. I was hoping to get something slightly laid back (as to be unfatiguing), but, more importantly, very fun.  I would like the price to be less then $60, but this price is slightly flexible if need be. Thank you for your time!

May 17, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #28,628 of 29,490
It's only for particular songs. I know for at least one song, I hear hissing with my A900X's and SA5000's, but not my K550's

May 17, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #28,630 of 29,490
Quote:
Will a Fiio E07K get rid of hissing I hear on some of my FLACs? And does hissing imply a bad file/source, or underpowered cans?

Also, does anyone know where I can get spare earpads for SA5000's?

That will be a major challenge I suspect.  Those cans have been discontinued for quite  a while.  I'd start with Sony.

May 17, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #28,631 of 29,490
Hey guys, currently I'm using the basic apple headphones and I figured it was time for an upgrade. Haha, I don't know much about headphones, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking into getting something relatively cheap (Preferably about $50). I'll be using these for casual listening, not mixing. Most of the time I'll probably be running them off of my iPod classic. I have a couple long car rides coming up and like to study in the library fairly often, so I was leaning a little more towards closed-backed headphones when looking around. I listen to a wide variety of music, but heavy metal and pop-punk would probably be my two most listened to genres. 

After looking around a bit I was considering getting one of these, but if you guys have any suggestions I'm more than open to hearing them. (Also, I tried looking around, but I couldn't really find the difference between the ATH M40fs and M30?)
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40FS-Professional-Precision-Headphones/dp/B0002D03ZW

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M30-Professional-Closed-back-Headphones/dp/B00007E7C8

http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD668B-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B003JOETX8

Thanks in advance for the help :)

-David

May 17, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #28,632 of 29,490
Advice needed:

I will be buying a FIIO E17 to drive my new cans. Listening to either my Zune or Computer. 

Sennheiser HD558 - $179
Sennheiser HD598 - $249
Sennheiser HD600 - $330 ($70 off if I buy with the E17)

How much of a difference in sound quality will I be gaining between these? 

I listen mainly to rock, some metal but mostly indie (bands: city and colour, fun, thrice, portugal the man.... etc)

I like Sennheiser cans, I currently own an older HD485 that is still going strong. 

Should I consider other ones, mainly Grado?

I tried the AKG701's *driven by a FIIO E6* and I did not like them. 
Not a big Bass fan (just sold my V-Moda Crossfades because of this). 

I'll be heading to a Electronic's store here in the city to check some out, wanted to see what would be worth looking at. 

Thanks. 

May 17, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #28,633 of 29,490
So I am new here and am looking to get into the headphone world(I think that right) and way I am going to ether get the Pc 360 or the hd 598(with antlion mod mic unless some one can give a better recommendation also pretty sure I am set on the hd 598) now the question is which sound car/ amp /what every do I need ?(mostly for gaming and audio books) any help is appreciated Thanks

edit: oh and do you guys know where in houston they sell them?

May 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #28,634 of 29,490
Quote:
Advice needed:

I will be buying a FIIO E17 to drive my new cans. Listening to either my Zune or Computer. 

Sennheiser HD558 - $179
Sennheiser HD598 - $249
Sennheiser HD600 - $330 ($70 off if I buy with the E17)

How much of a difference in sound quality will I be gaining between these? 

I listen mainly to rock, some metal but mostly indie (bands: city and colour, fun, thrice, portugal the man.... etc)

I like Sennheiser cans, I currently own an older HD485 that is still going strong. 

Should I consider other ones, mainly Grado?

I tried the AKG701's *driven by a FIIO E6* and I did not like them. 
Not a big Bass fan (just sold my V-Moda Crossfades because of this). 

I'll be heading to a Electronic's store here in the city to check some out, wanted to see what would be worth looking at. 

Thanks. 

Get the HD 600.  It alone from your choices makes this list:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13#user_HD600

P.S. Was the little E6 powerful enough to properly drive the Q 701 or K 701 (you did not say which you tried)?

May 17, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #28,635 of 29,490
Quote:
So I am new here and am looking to get into the headphone world(I think that right) and way I am going to ether get the Pc 360 or the hd 598(with antlion mod mic unless some one can give a better recommendation also pretty sure I am set on the hd 598) now the question is which sound car/ amp /what every do I need ?(mostly for gaming and audio books) any help is appreciated Thanks

edit: oh and do you guys know where in houston they sell them?

You should probably post this in computer audio section and/or in one of the amp sections of the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back