++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #28,546 of 29,490
I can see they are at 60$ at amazon - are you sure they are good for metal?. :) i read some say electronic, it has only a good bass etc.?.

i am really looking for best possible solution, to enjoy my metal, Double pedal drums, speedy-riffs and all. i see the grados are good but the thing about them was that they leak alot of sound? and get alot of noise in?. - i am to use them outdoors only. so maybe this would annoy me.. or else when walking near shops, in markets maybe they dont like to hear my metal! :D hehe? 

I agree with torturechambers. The Grados are simply amazing for rock and metal, and there is nothing quite like them for their price. But it's not just that other people will be able to hear your music if it's turned up, you'll hear your environment, too.

The MDR-V6s are good all arounders that will isolate you (and your music) from the environment much, much better. :)

May 14, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #28,547 of 29,490
Bump. Also, I looked into the AKG K550's and they seem to fit my bill EXACTLY, except for the whole they have to be completely sealed thing, which can't work for me, as I wear semi-thick glasses, and those would interrupt the seal. So unfortunately the AKG's are out, but could there be a different set of headphones that share very similar traits such as what the AKG's have, like their capability for mixing in particular, which don't need a *complete* seal to work fine? I'd still like closed headphones though, just maybe ones that don't rely on the seal so drastically that my glasses would interfere with them.

I think for electronic music, the DT880 Pro 250s would be my choice. I know that they are open, but they sound great. They work well with glasses because (a) they have thick velour pads and (b) don't depend on a seal for their bass (because they are open). You would need a headphone amp with them.

May 14, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #28,548 of 29,490
I currently own the Bose QC15 LE and the foam modded HD555s. I don't really use the HD555s anymore. I have had them a while and I'm ready to upgrade. I'm going to give them to my 6 year old since they're pretty beat up.

I was just recently gifted a $230 Amazon gift card and my dilemma is I'm trying to figure out how to upgrade my current collection. I have a few that I'm interested in, the M50, HD598, HD558, Momentums, COP, and MDR1R. But I'm not opposed to other reccommendations.

So in summary, here's what I'm considering:
1) Keep the two I have and get the best I can for the $230, or
2) Sell the QC15s (I know someone who will give me $250 for them) and get one do it all headphone that will meet all my criteria, or
3) Sell the QC15s and get two headphones that are really good at different traits in my criteria.

Which option would you go with, 1, 2, or 3? And what headphone(s) would you recommend and why?

Please only limit it to 2 headphones max. I only want one do it all headphone that meets all my criteria below, or two, 1 open and 1 closed/portable.

Here's my criteria for my headphone(s):
1) Music - I mainly listen to music with live instruments (Gospel, Jazz, Funk, etc.). I'm a drummer so I love a headphone that brings out the details of acoustic drumsets (Strong kick base drum impact, clear toms, crystal clear non siblant cymbal work) while still maintaining great accuracy and detail with the other instruments on the track. The M50s did all of this well in my limited time with them.
2) Immersive Gaming - Realistic gunshots and explosions with good detail retrieval for some online multiplayer. Don't need competitive footstep listening though.
3) Some movie watching
4) Source - Ipad and Galaxy S3 (lossless or 320kb) for music, dolby headphone processor for gaming and movies. Don't want an amp.
5) Portable

Thanks!

May 14, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #28,549 of 29,490
Quote:
Oh, I forgot to point out he does not like on the ear at all... It has to go around the ear. The superluxs should work, but do they even show up in shops? Also, how durable are they. that's really important to him.

Yep, they're fairly durable. Even has a detachable cable it's easily replaceable if ever the wire dies. Not sure which shops would sell them. Maybe Best Buy? I got mine from Amazon.

May 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #28,550 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm looking for a pair of headphones to use at work (an office environment).  I'm gonna keep them in my cubicle area since I'm lazy and don't want to transport them back and forth, so I want to keep it at/under $100 to avoid losing out on too much should anything happen to them.  I'm interested in a neutral sound signature, possibly a bit dark, a la the Mad Dogs (which I love, but want to keep at home). 

I'd like them to be somewhat sound isolating since I don't want to bother anyone, but I don't listen to my music incredibly loud so even semi-open should be fine (not to mention it'd be ideal to hear if someone is calling me).  Comfort is pretty important since I'll likely be wearing them for hours, and I'll be running them from an iPod.  I do have an E11 if necessary, but the less cumbersome the setup the better.

Doing some research, I'm thinking maybe the SR440s or maybe even a stock pair of T50RPs.  The HD681 EVOs also seem like a good choice, but there isn't a whole lot of info about them.  A lot of the stuff I've seen sub-$100 seems either v-shaped or lacking in comfort, unfortunately, so I'm hoping you guys can point me in the direction of some other choices.

May 14, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #28,552 of 29,490
Quote:
I have a budget of $300. I listen to pretty much every genre of music, from Classical to Rock to Hip Hop. Therefore I would prefer an all rounder. My main source is going to be a iPhone 4 and I will be doing my listening in dorm rooms so I would prefer closed headphones or pretty much any phones with good isolation, with a portable amp. I've been looking at the Philips Fidelio L1 and the ATH A900x coupled with a Fiio amp/DAC, but I've researched reviews and found that some people think that these have a significant bass emphasis, which I don't want since mids and detail are important to me also. I want a headphone that has good impactful bass while having excellent mids and highs, which I found is a rarity in this price range. Any suggestions?

ue6000

May 14, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #28,553 of 29,490
I've had Audio Technica ATH-ES7's for a few years now and they were great so I'm looking for something similar to that.  The only major flaw with them was the cable was kinda flimsy and it was attached. I'm not looking to spend much.  For sure under $100.  I'm looking at JBL J55's or Sennheiser HD229's.  Any comments on that?  I listen to pretty much everything so there isn't a specific type of sound I want, I just want something that's not bulky or horrid looking as I'll probably travel with them quite a bit.

May 14, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #28,554 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm looking for a pair of headphones to use at work (an office environment).  I'm gonna keep them in my cubicle area since I'm lazy and don't want to transport them back and forth, so I want to keep it at/under $100 to avoid losing out on too much should anything happen to them.  I'm interested in a neutral sound signature, possibly a bit dark, a la the Mad Dogs (which I love, but want to keep at home). 

I'd like them to be somewhat sound isolating since I don't want to bother anyone, but I don't listen to my music incredibly loud so even semi-open should be fine (not to mention it'd be ideal to hear if someone is calling me).  Comfort is pretty important since I'll likely be wearing them for hours, and I'll be running them from an iPod.  I do have an E11 if necessary, but the less cumbersome the setup the better.

Doing some research, I'm thinking maybe the SR440s or maybe even a stock pair of T50RPs.  The HD681 EVOs also seem like a good choice, but there isn't a whole lot of info about them.  A lot of the stuff I've seen sub-$100 seems either v-shaped or lacking in comfort, unfortunately, so I'm hoping you guys can point me in the direction of some other choices.

Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506. Slightly different frequency responses between the two--but very similar--and probably as neutral as the SR440s, but with a little better bass extension.

Otherwise, you know you could have fun modding your own pair of stock T50RPs :)

May 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #28,555 of 29,490
What pair of headphones would you get recommend for 100% music ? (electronic music)
I want a closed pair of headphones that has good bass, is the ultrasone pro 900 my best option right now ? looking to spend around 250-300$

May 14, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #28,556 of 29,490
What pair of headphones would you get recommend for 100% music ? (electronic music)
I want a closed pair of headphones that has good bass, is the ultrasone pro 900 my best option right now ? looking to spend around 250-300$

The PRO900s have the title " EDM King " so that tells it all :D

So true. LOL

But you will need an amp to get the most out of them. :)

May 14, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #28,557 of 29,490
Quote:
So true. LOL

But you will need an amp to get the most out of them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you have any suggestions for cheaper/portable amp pairings for the pro 900s?

May 14, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #28,559 of 29,490
Quote:

CAL!

May 14, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #28,560 of 29,490
So, I've pretty much decided that I need to limit my friend to sony headphones, because those can be found in practically any store, and they are the most likely to be in his style. What headphones do you think, under $60, would fit someone who wants punchy bass? Not overpowering bass, of course, but bass.
 Edit: Since he lives in a far off location in the middle of the woods in far western canada, I might need a few to make sure he can at least get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back